Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Joe

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Ft Wright , Kentucky
Heading to Maine/Acadia

Heading out from Cincinnati to Maine/Acadia National park. Got 16 days to work with. All suggestions for routes, places along the way, Acadia, etc. are welcomed
jhohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
When are you going to be there? It gets busy in season!
We do Acadia by sailboat but I'm sure there are plenty here who can give you ideas
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Heading to Maine/Acadia

Hi there-
Acadia NP is a great place to visit and most often folks head to Bar Harbor but last year we tried the "quiet side" of Acadia for two weeks late August and early September. Check out National Park website for Seawall campground ( no hook-ups but very nice) and my highest recommendation is Schoodic Woods which is also the "road less traveled" part of Acadia.
Here is a link to more info about Schoodic Woods Campground and my personal review on Campedium- https://www.campendium.com/schoodic-woods-campground
Happy travels,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
FC's suggestion is a great idea. Brother did it that way late in the season and enjoyed the park. We liked the shoreline up the coast from Bar Harbor. Felt like a perfect small town environment. It you look close, you might even see a little silver. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We stayed at the Oceanside KOA, probably would not do that again as it was a big parking lot, except for a few select spaces. Beautiful country, without question. My real recommendation is to avoid the Trenton Bridge Lobster pound and frequent Lunt's just North. Once I found it we went there every day for a week. Oh, Atlantic Brewing is worth a visit for lunch and beer. Had to do that twice, dog friendly as well.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When we were there Last September we stayed outside of Acadia, but near enough to day trip in the surrounding area. We liked Camden Hills state park as a home base. Camden Hills has some sites that have full hookups, but no waterfront or water view from the camping area. When we go again, I'll stay somewhere north of Acadia along the coast.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Acadia was one of our favorite trips ever!

We stayed in Narrows Too - backed to the water on a nice sized site lot. The campground staff was great. Activities included ice cream socials and they had an Elvis impersonator.
We didn't spend much time in the campground as we were out exploring Acadia National Park most of the time. The campground offers kayak and canoe rentals too.

We had some local lobster fishermen camping next to us!

There are nearby Lobster pots and we did get our fill!

We hiked one of the moderate Cadillac Mountain Moderate trails with great views and got our fill of wild blueberries.

One of the highlights for our then teenage son was Sand Beach. The only beach in the park - it offers great opportunities to soak in the sun, although the water in the summer was still in the 50s!

Thunder hole is amazing and shouldn't be missed.

We spent an afternoon in Bar Harbor, window shopping and sampling some local beer. We were planning on a boat tour, but it was too foggy on the day we planned to go out.

Here is a good website on Acadia Park and the surrounding area.

http://www.acadiamagic.com

Here is a good video from an RV perspective that includes some highlights on the area campgrounds.

https://youtu.be/kaUuoz6fsVc

On the way up to Acadia we stayed at a great hidden gem -- Greenwood Lodge & Campsites. It is on the Appalachian trail -- there is a hostel on premises. The campground was a bit tight, but they put us on a site where we could open up our awning to the pond. We would stay there again.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Qi-D7O2SaxAKFQ

Our next stop was Paradise Park Resort in Old Orchard Beach. A commercial campground, but we got a nice site backing up to the lake / pond. The campground was super clean -- most of our fellow campers were French Canadian! There are paddle boats and I caught a few fish and a turtle (put him back of course) fishing from our campsite. Old Orchard Beach has a boardwalk and we got some great lobster rolls on the pier.

http://www.paradiseparkresort.com/

Hope this helps

After remminissing our trip, I think we will plan another trip!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
We did this last year from near Indianapolis.
Lots of other ways get you there, but this is what we did:
I-71 to Cleveland, then I90.
On the way out, we turned off at Erie and I 86 to 88 to Troy, then across southern Vermont and NH to Maine and took the 4 lane up to Acadia.
On the way back we went to near Boston for a few days, then back on MA2 etc. to Troy NY and took I-90 back across NY. Both the 86/88 and 90 routes work, with I-90 being a little quicker, smoother, and overall easier, I thought.

We did take US1 south out of the park area, partly because I'd ridden a bicycle from western Ohio to Nova Scotia when in college and wanted to see the big suspension bridge near Ellsworth again. It's been replaced (wah) but the replacement is magnificent (yay!)

Outbound overnights: Jackson Center,
Jamestown, NY at the Chautauqua KOA,
Pine Hollow Campground near Bennington (http://www.pinehollowcamping.com) There was another Airstream there also headed east, and we really liked the campground.
Hadley's Point (http://www.hadleyspoint.com) on Mt Desert Island. There is a free shuttle around the island, which we used and found convenient.
Also liked Hadley's Point. Can walk down to the water (it's a ways, but definitely walkable) and watch the tide come and go. Pretty cool.

Homeward bound overnights:
Minuteman Campground (https://minutemancampground.com) which offered useful advice on how to take the light rail into Boston. Would definitely stay there again if in Boston area.
Delta Lake State Park (near Rome, NY http://www.nysparks.com/parks/66/details.aspx) Pretty lake, some interesting historic sites nearby.
We also stayed at a place just east of Cleveland who's name I don't recall. Our oldest had a college visit at one of the universities there.

Route notes: 9 across southern Vermont goes up and over some hills, but it wasn't a big deal. We have 16' of trailer, and I wondered at the time how I would have felt with our previous 31'. OK, I thought, but not super comfortable.
2 across western MA is awesome. On a motorcycle, a Miata, or a Mini Cooper. It was fine for us, but the driver did have to concentrate. I don't think I would have liked it with the long trailer, but it was a no-brainer.

Stuff to do:
Chautauqua is tranquil. Lots of touristy stuff in the area.
Corning has Harris Hill, so if you've ever wanted to fly in a sailplane, that might be worth a stop. There are a number of wineries along the finger lakes as well.
Bennington was a surprise to us, but we hadn't really made a plan so everything was a surprise. Hemmings Motor News is headquartered there, as is Robert Frost's grave. All of us enjoyed it.
I enjoyed Newick's in NH (http://www.newicks.com/index.html) But Mrs RedSHED just rolls her eyes. There is RV parking at Freeport, ME, but you'll want to look it up before you get there.
Acadia was a nice surprise.
Boston, duh, too much to see and do.
Cleveland has some nice art museums and some fun architecture around Case Western's campus.
I really don't have anything bad to say about any of the places we stayed. I was glad several times to have a shorter trailer and not to need full hookups, but neither of those would be strictly speaking necessary.

This is us, coming back through Troy, NY. http://www.airforums.com/attachments.../8/troy_ny.png

You'll have a blast!
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Joe

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Ft Wright , Kentucky
Thanks for all the great input. Looking forward to great trip in Early September
jhohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
amazing

I find it amazing there, go back every year. I stay at Oceanside KOA on a waterfront site, if you can get one the sunsets are wonderful. The other part(s) of the campground is very parking lot like however. Bring your hiking boots and bicycle there's so much to do!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Be advised that waterfront sites tend to be very buggy! Don't ask how I know. At Acadia try taking the mailboat out to Isle Au Haut. Hiking the island is like what America was like 300 years ago. Catch the ferry in Stonington a delightful town in its own right. Also visit the Wooden Boat School shop and dock.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Don't forget the LL Bean outlet in Freeport. Not to be missed.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
bugs and beer

I go in early Sept, this year 11-21. I never have had a bug problem at that time of year (4 years running) I hear July is bad with black flies. If you go to Freeport to see LL. Bean I recommend Maine Brewing Company! if you like beer, very friendly place, pet friendly and a couple of spots to park your trailer down back. They are just south of Bean on RT 1 maybe 2 miles. john
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote