Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Traffic suggestions from Mammoth Cave, KY to Jackson Center?

Looks like we will staying in Mammoth Cave, KY area on Friday (assuming we can get a spot in the park) so we are looking for best route to avoid traffic up to Jackson center on Saturday or Sunday. Should we take 65 to Elizabethtown then take Bluegrass Pkwy to Lexington? If so, is there a recommended way to avoid traffic going thru Lexington to Jackson Center? Appreciate any input.

(By the way, the site seeing and food suggestions in Jackson Center area are appreciated!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
We will be at Jackson Center in 2weeks. Are there any preferred sites at the terraport? Or any sites to not pick? All 50 amp?
By the time we got there we had only a few choices, so plan on getting there earlier than 6 PM. Our site was OK but they come to get you early in the AM so plan on getting out the door by (as I recall) 6 AM. The only issue we had was that our stock stinky slinky wouldn't reach the sewer connection. We had to use the dump station on the way out.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
First time to Jackson Center next week from Austin. Looking for suggestions on places to visit on the way up there and also things to see/do while we are there? We are getting some warranty work and upgrades, so expect 2-3 days. What is there to see around the area? We are heading down to NC Balloon Festival and then Alumalina when we leave Jackson...first time in the OH area.
Sidney, OH, off I-75 just south of Jackson Center is an interesting place. We visited the courthouse, renovated old bank, ate at "The Spot", enjoyed it. The locals were very proud of their city, friendly and helpful. (We shouldn't go in here but they're all gone to lunch now. Look at the ceiling. One of our high school girls painted this view of our city across the entire ceiling. Isn't it wonderful? )

We took a trip over to Columbus and spent the night. Some kind of motorcycle club (a BIG one) had taken over some bar and the music was loud, but they all went away about midnight. Before planning to spend the night, check the hotels and make a reservation. We had to go to several to find a room.

I think we enjoyed Sidney the most, because it's small town America. You meet a lot of interesting folk in small towns.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Looks like we will staying in Mammoth Cave, KY area on Friday (assuming we can get a spot in the park) so we are looking for best route to avoid traffic up to Jackson center on Saturday or Sunday. Should we take 65 to Elizabethtown then take Bluegrass Pkwy to Lexington? If so, is there a recommended way to avoid traffic going thru Lexington to Jackson Center? Appreciate any input.

(By the way, the site seeing and food suggestions in Jackson Center area are appreciated!)
Mammoth Cave has only 2 sites that have power and water. They are almost always taken. The rest are primitive camping. Now that the weather has cooled and we finally got some rain today, it should be comfortable. It will be in the 40s to 70s this week.

I-65 north to Elizabethtown, catch the Bluegrass (BG) Martha Layne Collins over to Lexington. This is a limited access highway, used to be a toll road. Unless there's an accident, it's usually wide open with light traffic. Best to fill up in Elizabethtown because exits are far apart.

At the end of the highway you'll exit RIGHT onto US-60, Versailles (ver-SAILS) Rd. heading towards the Bluegrass airport (keep in the right lane but not the far right as it will end at New Circle Rd RT-4 south, you're going north). Across from the airport there is Keeneland Racetrack. Avoid race times and you should be OK. Like any city, we have rush hours in the AM and PM.
https://www.keeneland.com/calendar

From Versailles Rd you'll get onto New Circle Rd RT 4 (new 4-lane). Take the north ramp, follow signs for I-64/I-75. Exit at Newtown Pike RT 922 north (ramp construction in progress), follow signs for I-64/I-75. Newtown is a 4-lane surface street with traffic lights. AVOID AM RUSH HOUR! If it's after 9 AM you should be OK. This will take you to I-64/I-75, right lane ramp. Follow I-75 north to Cincinnati. I have gone through Cincinnati at rush hours, AM and PM. If there are no accidents you will be OK and it's shorter than taking the bypass. The rest of the way is OK all the way to Jackson Center, barring accidents. There may still be some construction along the way but traffic usually moves along.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
I had work done Jackson Center this past summer. overall a good experience. My advice is stay with your trailer and work with your technician while it is there. Additionally spend the night there and check to make sure all the work was done properly. My check list still has items on it, so will try again next year.
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
All sites are pretty equal. It's first come, first pick. Usually full by Sunday night, so I try to arrive on Saturday. There are several great museums within an hour or so. Bicycle museum in New Bremen, Springfield has the Marketplace museum, also a Frank Lloyd Wright home. You will talk to the tech first thing (be out of rig and in waiting room by 7, 715), and end of day, about 330 to 4, so plan around that.
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebH View Post
All sites are pretty equal. It's first come, first pick. Usually full by Sunday night, so I try to arrive on Saturday. You will talk to the tech first thing (be out of rig and in waiting room by 7, 715), and end of day, about 330 to 4, so plan around that.
We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, and there were a half dozen open sites, but a couple were blocked off, apparently there were issues with the power pedestals. We found a suitable parking slot, but the pedestal had to be shared with another trailer, and he'd taken the 50amp outlet, leaving us with the 30. He was testing both A/C units after a major repair, and after an hour or so he gave us the 50amp outlet, which was nice as it was hot and both A/Cs cooled us off fast.

Monday morning we walked over to the Service write up area at 6:45. A couple of techs arriving at work let us in and we sat in the waiting room 'till 7:00. Service Advisor had the e-mail and attached punch list we'd sent him earlier, and quickly wrote up the Repair Order. We went back to our trailer and within a half hour or so the tractor that was picking up trailers picked up ours and took it to the service bay. We put some chairs in our parking spot so no one else would take it and went over to talk to the tech.

We touched base with him several times during the day, and at about 4pm it was returned to our parking spot. Tech had one last minor repair to do and he came over Tuesday morning to do it and go over the finished Repair Order with us. A bit later we walked over to see the Service Advisor and he gave us a copy of that RO. Then we left.

While there we were joined by a relative who lives in Akron and went through the factory tour with her. That was the second time for us, and still enjoyable. The only thing I'd add to the list of places to eat is one who's name I've forgotten. Head back to the interstate from JC, cross the interstate bridge and it's right there on the left side of the road. They have good fried chicken and beer. Like the Hiedout it's a good local hangout.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You need to go back to your campsite and go squirrel hunting!!!

Avoid rush hour I-75 through Cincinnati. It is still summer construction season and the roads back up....
If you need a stop over we have courtesy parking 10 miles south of Cincinnati.

The AC unit looks like it could be cleaned out and install a new cover. I have cleaned mud dauber nests from the squirrel cage fan before. The fan was so out of balance you thouight the AC unit would vibrate out of the ceiling.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the information...and the offer for overnight. Planning on arriving on Saturday now after reading this. We should be fine with all the suggestions and information! I will post along the way...think I will get back on the roof and try and insulate the AC now that it is patched...was going to leave alone, but wife is on my case...

Hope to see some of you folks at Balloon Festival in NC or Alumalina??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
T
Hope to see some of you folks at Balloon Festival in NC or Alumalina??

See you at both!

I would also like to put in another good word for the USAF museum in Dayton. (THE Oldest and LARGEST airplane museum.) We have been to MANY airplane museums but we were impressed. Three days in Dayton with two days at the USAF museum was not enough time for us on our "middle USA" tour this summer.

If you go to Cincinnati I would also like to recommend the American Sign Museum.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
We AGREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
Definitely have pizza at the Split Decision cafe in Jackson Center! I can't wait to go there again.
Ate there almost every night. Pizza is very good. We enjoyed talking with the girls that waited table. Local hard working college students. We tipped them well.

And of course fellow Airstream owners doing their time for warranty or repairs.

We love sitting at the corner table on on the deck watching rush hour of a John Deere Combine moving through town! At or above the speed limit. They have lunch we wish they did breakfast also-

The movie theater down the street seen from the table is worth a visit if a show is what you like.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
See you at both!

I would also like to put in another good word for the USAF museum in Dayton. (THE Oldest and LARGEST airplane museum.) We have been to MANY airplane museums but we were impressed. Three days in Dayton with two days at the USAF museum was not enough time for us on our "middle USA" tour this summer.

If you go to Cincinnati I would also like to recommend the American Sign Museum.
I'm a "gemini" by the way!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:

I replied earlier about going through Lexington, but I've had a change of heart. If it was me I'd go up I-65 to Louisville then take either I-265 or I-264 over to I-71 and up to join I-75 in northern Kentucky. I-71 is usually fairly light traffic and you'll avoid having to use surface streets in Lexington to get from BG Parkway to I-75, which can be slow at times.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I replied earlier about going through Lexington, but I've had a change of heart. If it was me I'd go up I-65 to Louisville then take either I-265 or I-264 over to I-71 and up to join I-75 in northern Kentucky. I-71 is usually fairly light traffic and you'll avoid having to use surface streets in Lexington to get from BG Parkway to I-75, which can be slow at times.
Thanks...we stayed at a real nice Magnolia, RV park last night in Magnolia, AK. Got a nice spot right on the little pond they have....nothing to speak of other than real clean, big clean showers, and super nice people. Not much around in terms of eating establishments and Getting in here I was concerned, looked a bit like some of the neighborhoods you see on "Cops" the TV show, but then it opens up into this unexpected nice place. $40.46 with Good Sam discount...

Off to Tom Sawyer Mississippi River RV park in West Memphis tonight...stay tuned! Should be some good eats in Memphis, as I recall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnolia RV park.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	353976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnolia RV office.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	353977  

Old 05-03-2023, 04:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I'm heading to JC middle of June.
Split Decision Cafe must have good beer to... Right?
Any good distillery's or breweries in JC?
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I'm heading to JC middle of June.
Split Decision Cafe must have good beer to... Right?
Any good distillery's or breweries in JC?
No; been there again last year for another week (second visit. They have 3 places in town to get some food, including a bar next to where you check in and stay in your AS at the facility. Reasonable pizza and drinks there, and there is another place on main street to eat, but not much else. We ended up staying at a hotel in Sidney. Lots of food and shopping options there. Dayton has Air Force museum, which is a good day visit, if your into aviation history. Up North is Wapakoneta, where Neil Armstrong is from. Some nice places to eat/stay there also the Space Museum honoring Neil.

Not much to do around Jackson Center, but if you can leave your rig, assuming you may have some damage or modifications taking more than a couple days, I found leaving mine with them vs staying in it, allowed them to finish a day and half earlier on the metal work I had done.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Repairs in a Day

Quote:
No

Not much to do around Jackson Center, but if you can leave your rig, assuming you may have some damage or modifications taking more than a couple days, I found leaving mine with them vs staying in it, allowed them to finish a day and half earlier on the metal work I had done.
I'm just going to get my front exterior locker reinforced under warranty. It really isn't a problem yet. I just want it reinforced before it is. AS thought they could get it all done in less than a day.
Thanks for your input though. If I had more being done I would definitely stay in a hotel somewhere.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote