Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Heading to FL in late March Big Lagoon SP

we waited until late to make a reservation (as usual) but managed to find two sites in BIG LAGOON State Park we could string together for a four night stay.
Waiting this late, there are not many spots near the gulf..
We're in a 19' Bambi, so moving is not that big of a problem for us.

I'm just wondering about Big Lagoon State Park.. Anyone ever stayed there? What's it like?

It's a Spring Break for my wife and I.. (now that we are empty nesters. Ha!)
Hopefully it is a decent park.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Did you check the site RVpark reviews? They usually have pretty good info as to how the park truly is. We have used it several times and they were always pretty close to the real deal.

Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Did you check the site RVpark reviews? They usually have pretty good info as to how the park truly is. We have used it several times and they were always pretty close to the real deal.

Will do!! Thanks, I did not know of this site..

Jeff
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Hi, Jeff
try that site out and let me know what you think. I have that bookmarked as one of my camping favs. It has helped us out more than once to get a better and cleaner park. Also post what you think once you get back to help out others. I do and I don't hold back about what I like and don't like. Happy camping!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Big Lagoon is Big Fun!

We visited Big Lagoon SP in November. We didn't camp there but we enjoyed lots of hiking and bird watching. It's a beautiful park!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3630.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	97860  

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I camped there for several days in Spring 2008 and enjoyed it very much. We had our kayaks and had a good time paddling around. There are also some good walking trails. I don't remember if they offered sewer but we had water and electric.

Pensacola NAS is close by, so you'll get a show every now and again, but I don't remember the jet noise as being disturbing. We didn't get around to visiting the museum at the NAS but plan to next time.

I thought it was a great place to spend some quiet time. There are also beaches close by both at the national seashore and across the line over in Alabama.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
I forgot to mention the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Thanks for the reminder, Pat.
It's wonderful! If you go, plan to spend (at least) a whole day. It's free too!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have stayed there several times and will go back again. Most of the sites are basically slots in the vegitation so you have lots of privacy but this does limit the breeze in the summer. No sewer hookups. The campground beach is in the bay so you don't get the real clear water or the surf but in March it may actually be better because it will be warmer water.
If ya search the forums using 'Big Lagoon' you should find a few posts, some of mine had photos...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Hi, Jeff
try that site out and let me know what you think. I have that bookmarked as one of my camping favs. It has helped us out more than once to get a better and cleaner park. Also post what you think once you get back to help out others. I do and I don't hold back about what I like and don't like. Happy camping!
Went to the site, most of the reviews were pretty positive. I am sure there are much nicer campgrounds along the beach, but when you wait until 3 weeks before you go to make a reservation..

I will add a review once we get back.

We have been to the air museum before, this trip, with the exception of the move at day 2, will be about relaxing and doing nothing..
Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
When you get there ask if they have any sites saved for drive-ups. They may be able to spot ya' there for the entire stay instead of swappin after a couple of days....They asked me if I was willin' to take a camp host spot and act like I was an offical dude the last time I was there...

Bring Bikes...

Ya wanna eat out? Leave the park, take a left and watch for the SeaFood joint on the right...

Or continue to the redlight, hang a left, cross the InterCoastal Waterway Bridge and look for the Ice Cone shop on the right...just before ya get to the fresh sea food sales joint...you did plan on bringin a cooker and shrimp boil pot didn't ya? For a real raw seafood experience, look up Joe Patties...try the crab dip!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
When you get there ask if they have any sites saved for drive-ups. They may be able to spot ya' there for the entire stay instead of swappin after a couple of days....They asked me if I was willin' to take a camp host spot and act like I was an offical dude the last time I was there...

Bring Bikes...

Ya wanna eat out? Leave the park, take a left and watch for the SeaFood joint on the right...

Or continue to the redlight, hang a left, cross the InterCoastal Waterway Bridge and look for the Ice Cone shop on the right...just before ya get to the fresh sea food sales joint...you did plan on bringin a cooker and shrimp boil pot didn't ya? For a real raw seafood experience, look up Joe Patties...try the crab dip!
I'll check to see if they have any non reserved spots we can stay in. Thanks!
Also, my mouth is watering.. thanks for the restaurant advice!! Not sure if we will be packing the boiler down there. Maybe if we had a longer stay planned.
Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Just got back.. Had a very good time. The Bambi pulled very easily once again behind the Tacoma.. 1500 miles.
Big Lagoon was a nice SP. We made the 10 minute drive down to Perdido SP for Beach access, hardly anyone was there, and the beach and weather were great.
Hiked the trails in Big Lagoon, very nice. We were in two spots. #25 & #75. they were "ok" but far from the best. At least we know where to stay (site #s) next time. The only problem we had was the no see ums.. Skin so soft solved that though. They are thick down there..
One other airstream there, a 30+ footer with a slide out, pulled by a F-350 diesel. Made our little Bambi look like a pup tent.. Ha..
Now, I'm a little sunburnt, heavier (need to get back on the treadmill) and relaxed.
FYI, we took highway 45 back (following Garmin) instead of 55. (Much better!!)
Smooth road, and hardly any traffic.. May have been a little slower, but not much. It was worth it to drive hours without the nonstop 18 wheelers running 55 & 75 depending on the hills..
Jeff
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Glad you had a good time! Gotta love the Gulf!