Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Heading for UT in Sept/Oct

I have never camped out there. (It's too nice in CO, so we always stop there.)
So this year, we are planning a week in UT.
I have no idea where to go. I really like cooler weather, and I hear it's hot out there, that's why we are looking at Oct..
There is Moab, Canyon Lands, Arches, etc. If you had 1 week where would you go first. (I also don't like parking lot campgrounds, we will go for National Forest Service campgrounds before we head for side by side parking..
Any advice appreciated. Do we need reservations?

GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Moab, Arches and Canyonlands are all sort of in the same area; parks like Zion, Bryce and so forth are further away. If you're into the full range of things that the parks on the Colorado Plateau offer best, you could very easily spend your whole week just with the Moab area.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Last weekend we went to Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods. Spectacular views!! Look at my blog to see a few of the many pics we took. Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon are also worth seeing including the Scenic Route 12 drive.
1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
There are lots of BLM campsites in the Moab area, many are on a first-come basis, finding space in October shouldn't be a problem.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Did Bryce Canyon NP last October. It's spectacular! The geology of south Utah is incredible. We camped at Ruby's Inn RV park. It was close to what restaurants and shopping there is. And very close to the entrance to the park. At that time of year (mid-October) the park campsites were closed. It was below freezing at night. Have a great trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon Trip October 09 140.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	100407  
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
I approve of this message
2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
International Balloon Fiesta is the 1st week of October so you may want to integrate a stop into your trip since you'll be so close.
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I'm new to this Forum, and actually joined in order to gain information about Airstreams prior to my purchase. I could not help but respond to this inquiry about Utah. The Bryce Canyon area is great in the fall. Take a look at the Utah State Parks web site, and specifically Kodachrome Basin Stae Park. It's not far from Bryce, and it's a top ten in my book. Plenty of privacy, paved pull through pads, very nice clean shower facility, and they take reservations. I favor sites numbers 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17, but you cant really go wrong with any of the sites. I have always tent camped there in the past, but hope to be making my first Airstream trip there in late may.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Rob gas stations on the way, a week is not much in that incredible country!
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Near Moab is Dead Horse Point State Park. We really liked it. Great scenery, nice campsites. Very well run.

Dead Horse Point State Park |

The BLM campsites near Moab are nice but are dry camping. Nice to have A/C when the temp starts winding up.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Just spent three weeks cruising southern Utah. It's spectacular.

Arches is a must. Devils Garden CG reserves some spots others are walk-ins. Dry camping but they do have water. Great hikes.

Canyonlands Island in the Sky & Dead Horse Point have great views, dry camping, DHP takes some resv.

Also several BLM sites along the CO river

Dump station in Moab.

Canyonlands Needles is one of my faves, dry camping, no resv., water available, great views and excellent hikes.

Natural Bridges Monument small CG, no resv. has water. great short hikes.

Head south down the Moki Dugway (steep grades but easy with a 19') to Goosenecks. Boondocking for one night camped on the edge of a deep canyon. Tour Valley of the Gods.

Head south to Monument Valley stay at Goulding's with hookups and dump station.

That trip could keep you busy for a week or three. Helps to have a generator and water jugs.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Goblin Valley SP - water, paved sites, and dump. Moab to 70, then West to Green River (fuel stop), a little more West then South on UT 24. Nice weird rock formations to wander through.

Also the road (still on UT 24) from Goblin Valley to Hanksville and then over to Capital Reef - all sorts of geology. Gothic gray ash formations along the river. Capital Reef to Escalante (UT24 the South on UT 12) - a bit of a shoe string road but spectacular (also 25 mph for good reason in some sections).

Watch out for the "killer attack quail" at Kodachrome Basin - - they will want to walk into the rig to check out the fridge!
Howard and Carolyn

Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Dead Horse Point

Dead Horse Point was terrific this past fall. Plus I'd take Highway 128 along the Colorado River on the way in to Moab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Horse Point.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	100447  
Duane Pandorf
Blog | Google+

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by Howard E View Post
Watch out for the "killer attack quail" at Kodachrome Basin - - they will want to walk into the rig to check out the fridge!
The "Killer Attack Quail" is actually a Chukar, A native of southern Eurasia, was introduced into the United States from Pakistan to be a game bird. It lives in arid, rocky terrain across the western United States and southern Canada.

But don't let 'em scare you away from Kodachrome Basin State Park!

Freeloader, Kodachorme Basin State Park, Utah
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We go to Arches just about every May, and Oct. If I had to pick just one area I'd go with the Arches/Moab area. With the small Airstream you have, and from the way you say you like to camp, I think I'd recommend trying to get into Arches. In a week you couldn't really see all 4 of the southern Utah national parks very well. If you cut off Zion you could get a good feel for Bryce, Capitol Reed, and Arches. It's not as busy in Oct. as it is in the Spring but don't assume you can just pull up and get a campsite, especially if you try to arrive on a weekend night. Bryce has several large campgrounds so getting in isn't usually a problem, but Arches, and Capitol Reef are very limited for camping inside the park. I think Capitol Reef is on a first come basis only but Arches and Bryce offer reservations. There's a lot of camping areas around the Moab area that are great if Arches isn't available and Dead Horse is very nice as has been suggested. Onion Creek is another very nice secluded area. There are also several campgrounds along the River although they aren't to my liking. A lot of boondocking opportunities new MoonFlower canyon but a lot of people come to the area to play with their toys, so be prepared for ATV's in a lot of boondocking areas.

Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote