Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
UP of Michigan is awesome. One across 28 then drop down to 2 on 77 or 117. After you cross the Mackinac Bridge go west and hit the Tunnel of Trees outside Harbor Springs then 31 down to Traverse City. Use TC as a base camp to do 22 around the peninsula and DON’T miss Sleeping Bear Dunes (named the most beautiful place in the US. Not sure I agree but it’s amazing.). From there head to Ohio. I would suggest traveling the Southern Tier of NY.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
They call y'all "Leaf Peepers", lol!
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Northern part of PA they call them "leaf lookers"

I am in the central PA, just off of Interstate 80. I too can vouch for Penn Wood AS park. We like to stay there when they have the Autumn Leaf Festival in Clarion. It starts the 28th of September and runs to the 6th of October. They line the streets on the 29th with a huge car show that really brings out some nice iron.
As mentioned, the northern reaches of PA including Wellsboro "PA Grand Canyon" with it's gaslight lit downtown or the Kinzua bridge area are beautiful in the fall.
Wishing you safe travels.
Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Groton , New Hampshire
We rode US 2 to Sturgis, SD on the Harley a few years ago from NH. Will probably do it again in the Bambi. Rt 2 disappears in NY, but continues in VT through the islands in Lake Champlain. It goes through NH and ME as well. We've done most of it on the Harley. All beautiful, and especially during the foliage season, which will be happening soon in northern New England.
mdlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Thanks this looks like s very good route for us.
Smugglers Knotch is towable with a short coach, but it's tight. Folks park on both sides of the road and there are some rocks that complicate it a bit and force some tight turns. Take care. Or better yet, drop the coach and drive the peeping loops solo. Pat

EDIT - Drive the road over the top on Google maps to get an idea of the issue.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaslocke View Post
Want a better route across Nevada? Take US 50, lovely drive, take in Great Basin NP, then Cedar Breaks NM in Utah...allow mor than 4 days!
HW 50 is nice, but it puts you South of a fast route East. I80 above Colorado is boring, but direct. If you don't, yes, more time. Whatever you do, stay away from Chicago. Niagra Falls is worth a day. The Adirondacks are beautiful. The Covered Bridges are interesting. Find the Pie Lady and we'll add the location to the on-going thread. Don't forget to pick up some maple syrup. Go slow on the frost heaved roads. Watch out for wild life jams. And don't ignore the medians. Some have great color. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
Additionally in Vermont I love traveling Route 9 entering from the N.Y. boarder through the Green Mountains, and in New Hampshire the Kancamagus Hwy is breathtaking. We are currently is Canada above Maine and it is very green. You don’t want to enter New England till October for leaf peeping.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven62 View Post
Additionally in Vermont I love traveling Route 9 entering from the N.Y. boarder through the Green Mountains, and in New Hampshire the Kancamagus Hwy is breathtaking. We are currently is Canada above Maine and it is very green. You don’t want to enter New England till October for leaf peeping.

Hi I have seen those routes on my maps. We definitely plan to go that way. I’m nervous about getting around Chicago. We would really like to stop at RR HOF and NFL HOF on the way. I’m glad leaves have not started yet. We leave Santa Cruz Ca tomorrow, across Nev, though Utah then eastern Wy staying in Badlands a few days across SD, then over to la crosse Wis. found a place on the Miss. it after that love to continue up into Mich, we have to see how the weather is etc. we really don’t have schedule just don’t want to miss out on the leaves. [emoji260][emoji1]
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
We leave Santa Cruz Ca tomorrow . . .
. . .
. . . we really don’t have schedule just don’t want to miss out on the leaves.
. . .

Not sure you have much time to dilly-dally going east IMO.

What is your ETA for northern NY/VT/NH? Monday the 23rd maybe? Choose 9/23 on this map, and you can see that the leaves will be turning up north IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You probably have your timing set but FYI:

https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/...l-foliage-map/
. . .
Similar for the week of 9/21 here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports View Post
Raidergal.. I came across this link for predicting Fall colors which you might find interesting.

https://apple.news/ANkekz6qsM8WpJEUoNENrXA
Guess it depends how many sights you want to see up north [Niagara, Letchworth SP. Adirondacks etc.], and how flexible you are to skip things and get east ASAP IMO.

Have a great trip!

Peter

PS -- Keep in mind that the forecast charts are just that -- rough estimates based on the past history. With the unpredictability of matters-climatological these days [viz. Dorian at the Bahamas], one intense random cold snap up north will accelerate things, almost overnight. Better to be in the neighborhood -- and early -- than to have to rush east to try to catch the color.

PS2 -- You can always hit missed sights on the way west, after leaf-peeping.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey raidergal, we're heading East too, currently in Gillette, Wy, tomorrow mt dushmore.. Also tbinking of la crosse. Can you post the cg name please?

Also the RnR hof. Parking/dry camping is adjacent. The parking folks warned to time visit on Non game days.
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
I’m nervous about getting around Chicago. [emoji260][emoji1]
Raidergal, what’s your concern about getting around Chicago? We live 45 miles northwest of the city and have to deal with it to go anywhere east. Another forum member, nryn is from the Chicago area and may have some tips as well.

PKI, was your concern about traffic or something else?
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Door County, WI is another great spot

If it works for your schedule, we found Door County, WI beautiful last year in October. This was Egg Harbor Campground October 10-13 (closed the following weekend).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED1C249-0DF8-447A-B36A-83DFED14D5EC.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	351810   Click image for larger version

Name:	134DB6FD-1E25-4A34-8940-06B17BFB10CE.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	587.4 KB
ID:	351811  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Check out this awesome nation-wide interactive fall foliage map!

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

Basically, start north and head south, Peak color hits North first, then week by week moves south.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Sd, mn, wi & up mi

Quote:
We are leaving Ca Sept 9. Taking I80 through Nevada, Utah , and up through eastern Wyoming. Taking 4 days to reach SD and Mt Rushmore, no real route after that.We would like to see some of Minn, this depends on how the colors hit in the east. We would also like to stop at R&R HOF and NFL HOF on our way. Any favorite RV parks or smaller highways we can check out. We don’t want to just travel the interstates.
Hi Raidergal,
I live in Wisconsin, and can give you a few pointers on the upper Midwest. If you're trying to avoid interstates, from Rapid City, SD, you can catch Hwy 14 (which overlaps with 90 for a short while), and it'll take you thru SD, MN and WI. As a side note, the route will take you past a few Laura Ingalls Wilder sites if you are into her.

14 will take you to the Mississippi River at Winona...since you're staying in the La Crosse area, you'll be going south presumably. Depending on where you plan to go/camp next--north to northern MN or Michigan's UP (both are Bee--YOU---TEE--full in the fall), is depending on what route works best going north. The area all around La Crosse is just lovely; I'm prejudiced though; we have a cabin in the area!

If you want to (kind of) avoid Chicago, you can do two things--wind your way north thru WI to the UP on Hwy 2 (which completely avoids Chicago) on continue south on 14, which is WI hills and farmland (nice drive, Amish country) until just south of the IL border. I've never taken 14 into IL, but know that it eventually leads into Chicago, so you might want to play around on Google maps figuring a route around at the border. Personally I vote going up north, either into MN's north shore (gorgeous) or continuing east on Hwy 2 (gorgeous, some great waterfalls in WI state parks along that way).
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Hey raidergal, we're heading East too, currently in Gillette, Wy, tomorrow mt dushmore.. Also tbinking of la crosse. Can you post the cg name please?

Also the RnR hof. Parking/dry camping is adjacent. The parking folks warned to time visit on Non game days.

Bob

Hi Bob as far as RR HOF and game days are you refuring to the Browns or the Indians?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Hi Bob as far as RR HOF and game days are you refuring to the Browns or the Indians?

Hi Bob the name of the park in La Crosse is Pettibone.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

The Brown's. The Indians stadium is closer to town. I90 exit 175b to hwy two looping back. Easy peasy.

We were there today and they were streaming rick ocasek. RIP rick ocasek. I'm from the bay area too...grad hs' 67 when bill graham was running winterland...3bucks for 3 bands. They have a great section on cities and obviously Sf was full bore.

Btw trailer parking is behind the hof...turn right at the scence mueseum, rhen left 30yards, then into the lot $30 for TV + TT. The a!low dry ca.p with park. Police often take breaks there so very safe.

B

Thx for the tip. We ended chaining course for weather at last min.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . we have to see how the weather is etc. we really don’t have schedule just don’t want to miss out on the leaves.
. . .
In addition to the leaf-peeping sites linked earlier, FYI the forecast temps for Lake Placid NY in the Adirondacks seem to be above average through the middle of October -- see the high/low temps at the bottom of this monthly chart:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/la...9681?year=2019

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the weather report. Do you take your trailer into the Adirondacks area. Where have you camped?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 PM   #40
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
On your way through Wisconsin... stop at Mineral Point. The whole town is art studios and galleries. Very cool. Camp overnight at the Fairgrounds for $20 including water and power.

As you come down through New England from Vermont to MA, stop in Historic Deerfield which is just of 91 in western Massachusetts. National Geographic called it the prettiest Main Street in America, and during the leaf season it's off the charts beautiful. The whole village is a walkable museum, so it makes for a great day. You can park on the street (even with the trailer) while you're passing through.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote