Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Headed to the East Coast for fall foliage.

We are leaving Ca Sept 9. Taking I80 through Nevada, Utah , and up through eastern Wyoming. Taking 4 days to reach SD and Mt Rushmore, no real route after that.We would like to see some of Minn, this depends on how the colors hit in the east. We would also like to stop at R&R HOF and NFL HOF on our way. Any favorite RV parks or smaller highways we can check out. We don’t want to just travel the interstates.
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Good luck on your adventure. We tried an Eastern Seaboard trip a couple falls ago. Weather pushed us inland before we could see much. Will have to try again one of these falls. Next time we might try to make it later and miss a few of the storms that seem to come up the Eastern coast this time of year.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm a Pennsylvanian. Penn Wood airstream park is not too far off 80.

Wellsboro is a nice town, it's north of 80, off Route 6. Actually, Route 6 would be pretty scenic.

Jim Thorpe is a nice little town, if you bicycle it's even better

A bit east of Pittsburgh you could tour Johnstown, the flood museum, the funicular, etc., and hit the flight 93 memorial.

I'm from the Gettysburg area, history buffs love it.

But if you're fall colors focused, that rt. 6 upstate, between rt. 219 and rt. 15 would be a good place to be.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You probably have your timing set but FYI:

https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/...l-foliage-map/

If weather permits, suggest Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park, and the Adirondacks. Start peeping in the north and follow the colors south.

Have fun!

Peter

PS — The “Grand Canyon of the East: : https://letchworthpark.com/

Also the butterfly exhibit at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Trees in New York State are already starting to turn.

Google the scenic routes for states you are going through, always pretty and thru lots of small historic towns.

Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I'm a Pennsylvanian. Penn Wood airstream park is not too far off 80.

Wellsboro is a nice town, it's north of 80, off Route 6. Actually, Route 6 would be pretty scenic.

Jim Thorpe is a nice little town, if you bicycle it's even better

A bit east of Pittsburgh you could tour Johnstown, the flood museum, the funicular, etc., and hit the flight 93 memorial.

I'm from the Gettysburg area, history buffs love it.

But if you're fall colors focused, that rt. 6 upstate, between rt. 219 and rt. 15 would be a good place to be.

I am from North Central PA and can vouch for Wellsboro, PA near the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon which is great for rafting, hiking, fishing. There is a 60 mile bike trail now from Ansonia south to my home town of Jersey Shore,(yep you read that right, Jersey Shore, near Williamsport, Pa. not New Jersey) Also off route 6 is Cherry Springs campground a 'dark sky' area for night time viewing and photography of the milky way.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Trees in New York State are already starting to turn.

Google the scenic routes for states you are going through, always pretty and thru lots of small historic towns.

Have a great trip!

Maggie
We just came back from our place on the border of Vt and NH about half way up and there is no real evidence yet of trees turning. It was about 70. Degrees and Very pleasant till the rain came Monday. Traffic was horrible. The normal 3 hr trip to and from home wound up being 5 plus hours each way. Have fun.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
In Minnesota there’s the Split Rock Lighthouse in Two Harbors. Then head to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Pick a place; there’s plenty to see here. Then go to Mackinac Island and stay at the Grand Hotel. Next is The Henry Ford which is world class and not to be missed. The RR HOF is directly next to a sports stadium. Plan to go when there is no game as parking will be almost impossible. In Pennsylvania, there’s the Flight 93 Memorial and Falling Water. Burlington VT is nice. Where are you going? What route do you plan to take going back? Where is home?
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
We are leaving Ca Sept 9. Taking I80 through Nevada, Utah , and up through eastern Wyoming. Taking 4 days to reach SD and Mt Rushmore, no real route after that.We would like to see some of Minn, this depends on how the colors hit in the east. We would also like to stop at R&R HOF and NFL HOF on our way. Any favorite RV parks or smaller highways we can check out. We don’t want to just travel the interstates.
If you can, recommend stopping at the Minnesota Airstream Park, it’s gorgeous! 😍
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
[QUOTE=majorairhead;2284349Penn Wood airstream park is not too far off 80. [/QUOTE]

We always stop at Penn Wood when we head west. It's exactly 300 miles from home, so it makes for a good first day.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
The "Airstream only" park near St. cloud Minn is nice and has a par 3 golf course that is never crowded. Gooseberry state park is great and a few miles from Split Rock Light house
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Raidergal.. I came across this link for predicting Fall colors which you might find interesting.

https://apple.news/ANkekz6qsM8WpJEUoNENrXA
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports View Post
Raidergal.. I came across this link for predicting Fall colors which you might find interesting.

https://apple.news/ANkekz6qsM8WpJEUoNENrXA

Thanks
Old 09-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Northern VT is awesome for colors - Lake Champlain area, Northeast Kingdom, Route 100 that goes north to south thru the state - Stowe VT with Route 108 thru Smugglers Notch. Best colors in early Oct.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Want a better route across Nevada? Take US 50, lovely drive, take in Great Basin NP, then Cedar Breaks NM in Utah...allow mor than 4 days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3242C15-5F46-4093-9B67-B1BD60CF9915.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	351292  
jaslocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
The northern part of my state is peeking and will last a couple of weeks...that beautiful area east of lakes Erie and the thousand islands in the St. Lawrence River
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldman View Post
The northern part of my state is peeking and will last a couple of weeks...that beautiful area east of lakes Erie and the thousand islands in the St. Lawrence River

Thanks we plan to be in that area in a couple of weeks hope the color holds. Thanks R G
Old 09-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Northern VT is awesome for colors - Lake Champlain area, Northeast Kingdom, Route 100 that goes north to south thru the state - Stowe VT with Route 108 thru Smugglers Notch. Best colors in early Oct.

Thanks this looks like s very good route for us.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Route 2 east of Montpelier VT is pretty bumpy.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #20
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Sounds like a fun trip starting tomorrow, I'm jealous!

I wanted to let you know about our sister site to AIR Forums called www.RVTripWizard.com. You can use your AIR Forums login to access RV Trip Wizard but it does require an annual fee ($39). I just thought I'd let you know about RV Trip Wizard since it excels at long trips.

RV Trip Wizard is powered off the popular www.CampgroundReviews.com data. In RV Trip Wizard you can set some driving rings to find an ideal place to stop along the way. You can also set your route based on the feedback in this discussion. So if you want to travel down a specific route, just add that to the map.

To find campgrounds, there are tons of filters if you are looking for State & National parks or private campgrounds. You can sort in lots of ways too. It makes choosing a campground a breeze.

I would suggest reading reviews from others to get a feel for how it can help:

Google Reviews

Facebook Reviews

User Testimonials on RV Trip Wizard

There is also an accompanying app called RV LIFE which allows you to pull up your trip and enjoy turn-by-turn directions that work even when you are offline. You can even download all the campground data into your phone for access when you are in remote places.

The app also keeps you out of trouble when on the road by customizing your route based on your Airstream's height, weight, etc.

I hope you have a great trip. What a nice time of year to get to take a long journey!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote