Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Wink Headed South b4 the holidays

We hope to wander this winter away from the cold temps for a few weeks. Indeed, we have reservations for a campground in Florida within the next 10 days; however, as we leave the Midwest via I-65 South, we would like to hear from folks who have stayed, or not, at campgrounds along the way.

How soon can we put water in our AS? What "App" do you use on your iPad/computer? Which publication like "Next Exit," "Woodall's," or "Passport America" did you read for reference? Have you found the website Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews to have been helpful and true? =)
Where did you wander for sight-seeing? What delicious or unique restaurants did you visit? Would you go back?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. The safe and sage advice we have learned on AirForums has been invaluable to us during our AS ownership.

Thanks very much, in advance,
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy749 View Post
How soon can we put water in our AS?
Easy answer, when you get to your destination. Complicated answer, check the Weather Channel online each stopping point along the way, and when both the daytime high and overnight low are above freezing, and expected to stay that way the rest of the trip, you can water up.
Quote:
What "App" do you use on your iPad/computer?
I prefer the Allstays app. Takes the place of Woodall's and other campground guides.
Quote:
Which publication like "Next Exit," "Woodall's," or "Passport America" did you read for reference?
Next Exit is good if you're traveling by Interstate highway. The fact that RV-friendly places are highlighted in red definitely helps.
Quote:
Where did you wander for sight-seeing? What delicious or unique restaurants did you visit? Would you go back?
There is no shortage of good restaurants in the South. But one person's tastes may not match yours, so take all recommendations with a grain of salt. Or a dash of Tabasco. Or a Tums.

I suggest, if you travel by Interstate highway, that you stop at the first Welcome Center you see in each state, and pick up any brochure that catches your fancy. Again, what one person finds fascinating as a tourist attraction might bore you to tears. Whether it's worth a detour from your planned route is something only you can determine.

If you're coming by way of I-65, there are dozens of places to see around Nashville, if not on the way down then on the way back. J. Percy Priest Lake near Nashville has several Corps of Engineers campgrounds;Seven Points comes highly recommended, but Poole Knobs Campground has almost all pull-through sites.

Down by Birmingham, a fellow Forums member just stayed at Monte Sano State Park; that one is on my do-list, though I haven't stayed there personally. Three weekends in December, there is a huge flea market at the Birmingham Fairgrounds. Even when I don't buy anything, I enjoy spending the day wandering around and checking out all of the Americana for sale.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Lucy,
We have stayed at Dandy KOA near Clanton, AL several times on the way home from our winter stay at Bonita Springs, FL. It is open all year and is very easy to get to. It is right next to I-65 at the 208 mm exit. It's fairly new and has the normal KOA amenities. As far as putting water in the tank we usually do that on our 2nd night on the road. From southwest IA our 2nd night is usually east of Tallahassee on I-10.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote