Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Headed for the Porkies on the 4th of July

We, after a beautiful voyage in Ohio culminating with our stay with Lou and Larry ,have entered our Michigan expedition...We have been fortunate to begin this journey with a stay with Bud and Dorothy in White Pigeon; they, offering us courtesy parking at their lovely wooded estate . On our first expedition we headed to....Indiana, exploring the St Joe river as it leaves Michigan and meanders into Indiana...Bristol, Elkhart,,,Indiana route 120 and into the land of Goshen and then back to Three Rivers Michigan and back to Bud's,.....beautiful drive and scenery...

Today we head to Orchard Beach State park near Manistee and then to Lake Leelanau and Sleeping Bear Dunes...then to Grayling to visit Betty and Mike...then to Alpena, Sault Ste Marie...Munising and then the Porkies and Copper Harbour for the Fourth of July...should be a great trip......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Islander

post #200

arrived at Orchard Bay state park...got the satellite tv set up....got the verizon cooking...set up the smoker ...warming texas bbq....life is great....gently rain falling....this is a beautiful state park......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sounds like a great trip. But the rules require that you share pix with us. Don't ask which rules - just supply pix.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
yeah, pics or it didn't happen.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Islander

Hey Brian

How is school doin....will you be at any of the 4CU rallies later in the year...the baloon festival...or new years eve...how is your dad doing....

I am posting my pictures at

kingfisher24.zenfolio.com.......so there

havenot included trip pictures as of yet...still a work in progresss
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Islander

Or, Michigan is beautiful.......

Having arrived at Orchard Beach on Friday on a hottish kind of day, after being rained on most of the way up from white pigeon...a beautiful area on the St Joe river, the rain again returned and a cool front blessed us with 60ish kind of weather that is still with us
...Orchard beach is surreal for a texan...being able to look over the bluff and see this magnificent sea...that is but a lake, albiet a large lake
....and we have been amazed in our travels at the water, streams, springs, lakes, river and ponds along the way...

...and each state we travel to just keeps getting amazing at the water resources....
one, if a native and non traveled texan ,might imagine that texas has a mayrid of water resources...but it pales in comparison to michigan......or ohio. or arkansas, or missouri

the manistee national forrest, the pine river, the little manistee and the big manistee river...all are of such beauty that.....

well, we found another piece of dream property that we want....it is on the west side of M-55 and M-37...twenty five acres..wooded with a beautiful pond.... and only $250,000 US dollars....we'll keep on looking...it is hard ...as we go up the road...the earth's beauty just keep on increasing don't know how we will ever select our dream place.....

but roll on airstream, roll on
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Islander

Cadillac, MI

what a beautiful place...i am going to make a point to return and stay at Mitchell State Park...on Lake Mitchell...what a place....we even had our first pastie!!!!!!!!!!!
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Full Timing

Glad to hear you guys are having such a great time. How were the Longhorns in Ohio?
We spent several weeks last summer working on a Habitat for Humanity project in Marquette and spent a lot of time exploring the area. If you are going to stay in Munising check out the city run RV park right on the lake. It is a great site. Also take the boat ride out of Munising to the painted rocks, nothing fancy but great views, especially the evening trip when the sun is setting. If you go through Marquette, check out the Crossroads Bar on county road 480. They have a great fish fry on friday and the best pasties in the U.P. Lots of pickup trucks and ATVs in the parking lot. You will think you are back in Texas for sure. If you really want to have some fun rent "Anatomy of a Murder" staring Jimmy Steward. The movie was filmed in Big Bay Point. Visit Big Bay Point for lunch and visit the Light house there.

See you down the road!
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Islander

pasties

not the kind found in...... but pasties are now on our radar...the one we picked up in Cadillac, a vegetable...was delicious...can't wait to get to the UP for more.....
Our Visit at Dickinson cattle company in Barnesville , Ohio was way past fun......the most breautiful longhorn cattle in the world reside there...cattle that have been breed for genetic consistency for more than 40 years by darol and linda dickinson....longhorn cattle with 80 inch horn spreads and the most beautiful color configurations one can imagine...

the public is invited for tours..so if you are going down I 70 just east of wheeling WVA at exit 202...stop in for a visit...

Hey Fltlvl 510...are you going to Oshkosh???? I am talking myself in a plan to go thanks for the tips on places to go in the UP
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
How is school doin....will you be at any of the 4CU rallies later in the year...the baloon festival...or new years eve...how is your dad doing....

I am posting my pictures at

kingfisher24.zenfolio.com.......so there

havenot included trip pictures as of yet...still a work in progresss
I'm gonna try to make the new years shindig again. Tomorrow I pull chocks and get underway towards Pueblo, CO, a short 1400mi drive. Looking at heading thru Vegas, Utah, and then Colorado. Hope to make it in two days. Got to see my girl, you know.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Islander

Au Sable delight

what a delighful suprise we have found...we have arrived at the beautful grayling, MI retreat of mike and betty , who were kind enough to offer us courtsey parking...and introduce us to the joys of kyaking...two days of floating down this beautiful river in central michagan is peaceful and almost beyond belief...

we now head for alpena for a few days...still on the way to the Porkies for the fourth....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Islander

cross the porkies off my list....so far

it is hotter than H E double LL here..90 today...i can go back to texas for this...the black flies are horrible,...only at the state park at union bay...why is that....we have beeN to other places nearby and the flies are not out...BUT THEY ARE PAST HORRIBLE AT THIS LOCATION....

if we can get past the 90 degrees today...it is supposed to cool back to the 70's...i have really ben enjpying the UP...but this is souring my entire outlook on Michigan........

headed for copper harbor next week,,,what do i need to expect
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am so sorry about the flies. I thought they were supposed to be May flies. I hope the wind picks up for you that could bring relief in both temperature and bug control. It is hot for Michigan. I sincerely hope the stay inproves for you. I feel terrible about recommending it and sending you to heat and bugs. Do the rangers know if Lake of the Clouds or the waterfall at Presque Isle side of the park or the observation deck offer any breeze or less bugs? You might try driving to a few other locations within the park and even getting head nets and Deet in town. Long sleeves are great and rain even better.

I have never been to Copper Harbor but have heard it is beautiful. Probably if the water is aggatated enough there wont be black flies where the breeding(nests in shallow water?) would be disturbed. Stop and take me back to Texas with you I hate bugs too!! Don't give up on Michigan yet though and our buggy North Woods.

When I was in Maine I came across two black flies that had just killed a moose. The were discussing whether to eat it there or drag it into the bushes. They decided to drag it into the bushes so that the big boys wouldn't take it away from them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We've got the June bugs in South Eastern Michigan now!! They come rocketing out of the dark and pelt themselves into your face or dive into your hair or clothes, where they buzz their crackly wings until they are well and truly entangled, and ruin what would otherwise be a perfect evening. They are the goofiest things plowing right into you repeatedly and about the size of your thumb. Come dusk they cover the roofline and make the sound collectively of light rain or a rain stick tinkling against the siding and drive you away from a camp fire. In October the Asian beetles drove us from Taquamenon Falls. But it's the horse flies and mosquitoes that I dread the most.

Here's wishing you a delightful evening of July's fireflies soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	june-bug-wings-open-small.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	106203  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Islander

buggy and hot, oh well

hey, don't feel bad wheel....i am not sure these are even black flies now...one gets conflicticing information...at union bay...these critters look like common house flies...they will swarm you and get in masses on your legs and bite the dickens out of you...at the park they say they are stable flies...lady at fort wilkins says that black flies are like knats that swarm and bite...any way...these horrid critters are , or seem only to be here at union bay....
we went to ashland, wisconsin and it is a beautiful place...

it is hotter than the devil in texas 92 today/...forecast calls for cooler and rain... sure hope so

we went to copper harbor to check out our next destination and that area is truly beautiful...can't wait to move up there...eagle harbor is espically beautiful....

praying for rain and heat relief here........it is too much like texas now
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Question Porkies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
it is hotter than H E double LL here..90 today...i can go back to texas for this...the black flies are horrible,...only at the state park at union bay...why is that....we have beeN to other places nearby and the flies are not out...BUT THEY ARE PAST HORRIBLE AT THIS LOCATION....

if we can get past the 90 degrees today...it is supposed to cool back to the 70's...i have really ben enjpying the UP...but this is souring my entire outlook on Michigan........

headed for copper harbor next week,,,what do i need to expect
Right at the moment we are about 150 miles north of you in the Minnesota Arrowhead (north of Lake Superior) and it's in the 90's here, too. Mosquitoes and black flies not too terrible, though. Always travel with plenty of bug repellent.

Supposed to cool off tomorrow but looks like it's going to rain on everyone's Fourth of July parades. You should be a lot happier in Copper Harbor as the lake moderates the temperatures plus you will probably get a cooling onshore breeze. Lake Superior is big, deep, and cold all year around.

Black flies arrive in bunches called "hatches" but fortunately don't stay around too long. Sounds like you were unlucky enough to be there for a hatch. Welcome to the north woods. . .

What are "the porkies", anyway?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
Islander

all considered Michigan is great

we loved alpena, had a medical problem and went to the emergency room in alpena...they were great...got a haircut from a man who had been cutting hair there for 50 years...loved thunder bay and the thunder bay river....lake Huron is beautiful and the drive up 23 is beautiful...

mackinaw island and st ignace are beautiful...they were haveing a car show in st ignace when we where ther...great fun...walked the harbor walk and pined at the marina....looking for a nordic tug to cruise the great lakes in...

then off to sault st marie and a stay at the asune osborne camp on the st mary's river watching the big freighters move up and down...beautiful area...rained and was in the 50's and 60's...my kind of weather...

then to munising and the pictuure rocks and grand marais and the pasties at muldoons...the au train river and lake...gladstone and escanaba,...just beautiful...seney wildlife tour.....and the city rv park right on lake superior....windy and cold, cold...but great....went to marquett and then to big bay....went to the garden penisula and to fayette state park.....Fairport and point detour

JUST BEAUTIFUL

the tahquamenon river and state park..trout lake and the drive along US 2 from st ignace to escanaba.......

JUST BEAUTIFUL.......
WBCCI 2541

4CU