Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Headed for Kanab (southwest) Utah

Hi there
We are planning a trip to southwest Utah to spend the final last two weeks of March out there. The average temps reported is a high of 59 and low of 30. We have an '86 25 foot sovereign that, as far as I know, has no insulation on our water lines. We will be hooked up with full utilities when we get out there but I am concerned about the lines freezing overnight. Any thoughts on this? Am I being overly cautious or will we have potential problems. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If it is going to drop into the low 30's/upper 20's, have your on board water tank filled and disconnect the hose from the campground faucet and drain it. Use your internal tank and pump at night, and if needed, hook up to water only in the daytime when it is warm enough.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If the overnight temperatures are projected to go below freezing simply disconnect your water hose to the campground spigot (fill your fresh water tank so you'll have water in the AM) and run the furnace (not a space heater or a catalytic heater) as that will put some warm air in the underbelly and keep your on-board water lines from freezing. Our trailer is newer than yours, but the basic construction techniques are the same and we've successfully camped in overnight temperatures as low as the high teens (it wasn't pleasant, but it got us where we wanted to be!)
Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Camping world sells a heated water hose. Are you going to Best Friends in Kanab?

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Right-- disconnect your hose and keep the furnace running as it shoots heat beneath the floor. We've also opened cupboard doors that had pipes behind them. Something to consider is that if you have to drive any distance in below-freezing temps is you might leave your furnace on till the temp gets above freezing, as things can freeze on the road as well as in your campsite. Not ideal, but it's what our dealer recommended.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
going out to southwest Utah

Thanks for the comments. I was wondering though, wouldn't the water lines in the airstream freeze regardless the source of the water, whether it is from city water or the fresh water tank? Is having the furnace on enough to keep the lines from freezing? I think the newer airstreams have some of the heat from the furnace directed to the tanks and water lines. Doesn't look the case for mine. Not sure though.

Yes, we are headed to Best Friends, the 3700 acre animal sanctuary just outside of Kanab. Have you been there???
Steve
Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Most all of the water lines in Airstreams are above the floor, inside, so they don't freeze. For many years Airstreams have had small ducts going to the tank areas so they don't freeze easily either, as long as you use the furnace. Your '86 would be ducted that way.

Most of us have responded to the problem of the external water line freezing, that is your major issue in camping when it is cold.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Kanab bound

Thanks all including IDROBA. Yes, I see what everyone means about the water lines being interior to the floor. Okay, so I can have the furnace heat the cabin and therebye heat (even if marginally) the water lines from the fresh water tank.

Now I understand.......

One question I have is how would I drain the city water line. Is there anything special other than disconnecting the hose from the city water source?

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmookler View Post
Thanks for the comments. I was wondering though, wouldn't the water lines in the airstream freeze regardless the source of the water, whether it is from city water or the fresh water tank? Is having the furnace on enough to keep the lines from freezing? I think the newer airstreams have some of the heat from the furnace directed to the tanks and water lines. Doesn't look the case for mine. Not sure though.

Yes, we are headed to Best Friends, the 3700 acre animal sanctuary just outside of Kanab. Have you been there???
Steve
It is one of our favorite destinations. Whenever we travel out west, which has been every year the last three years we stay there for three or four days.
Its a beautiful area. Make sure to visit Coral State Park while you are there.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Pipe Springs

We suggest that if you have never been there to visit Pipe Spring National Monument just south of Kanab on the AZ border. Great history lesson there. And of course Zion and the North rim. Beautiful country. Kanab is second only to Hollywood for movie sets. Max enjoy!
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Steve

Responded to your PM. To drain the water hose I disconnect from both ends, lay it on a picnic table or tailgate and taking one end start winding it around my arm while the water drains from the other end. The AS is designed so that if the furnace is on it will heat the water lines within the trailer. Site Number 2 is pictured. That is a valley just behind the trailer with a usually dry river in it and then those hills beyond and out the front is a large red hill with a golden eagle that flies around in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	257957  
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
One question I have is how would I drain the city water line. Is there anything special other than disconnecting the hose from the city water source?
From the city water inlet, there is a pipe which leads to a check valve then a pressure reducing valve, both inside the trailer. When you disconnect the hose from the city water inlet, the water should drain out of that section of pipe by gravity so it will not contain any water, and the check valve prevents the pump water from going back into the inlet pipe.

Most Airstreams are plumbed that way, and I am pretty sure your '86 will be that same setup if it is factory original. However, just to cover other years and other owners modifications, you may need to check how a specific trailer is plumbed to be positive.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Site Number 2 is pictured. That is a valley just behind the trailer with a usually dry river in it and then those hills beyond and out the front is a large red hill with a golden eagle that flies around in the evening.
Paiceman, Where is that Site Number 2? Is that Best Friends? That looks like an amazing campsite.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Yes we are headed to Best Friends. A must see sanctuary for animals.....3700 beautiful acres.

Thanks for the advice on the city water draining. Puts my mind at ease to know that the water will drain out mitigating a frozen pipe.

All my water lines are indeed above floor level so I now understand how they would at least be somewhat warmed by turning on the furnace.

Thanks also for the suggestions on Pipe Spring National Monument and Coral State Park.

Steve