Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
1975 27' Overlander
Gainesvile , Florida
Other than the tunnels, beware the potholes, or rather ditches that are everywhere through SC on I-95 in both the North and South Bound lanes. I drove up and back to Northern VA two weeks ago and some of the impacts felt like hitting a curb at 60 miles per hour. I had to look back to see if my rig was still fully intact more than once. If I had more time I would have looked for an alternate route, I-85 maybe. Between the idiots (drive 50 mph in the middle lane) and the maniacs (drive 95 mph in the right hand lane) I was really glad to end my 15 hour trek down I-95. Construction zones near Brunswick GA with concrete barricades on both sides of the freeway, also didn't help with my overall outlook on the current state of the interstate highway system.

Anyway katsix, we'll all be praying for you.

bolton2197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
Thanks for the directions. It seems like some are saying we can take the tunnel with the two lp tanks. Does anyone know for sure? Rob

katsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
Thanks for the route Howie. I just took my Casita to Hilton Head with your route.. no easy pass on bridge. took 301 all the way to 95. By passes everything. Much nicer trip. lots of good stops. A little longer but much nicer trip pulling a trailer. I can't wait to pick up my new airstream and take it down this way. Rob
katsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey

Sorry I forgot to mention you should stop at Jonny's B B Q in La Plata for lunch. I have been tring for some time to get his daughter to market Grandma sauce.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #19
The Painted Pig
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I agree with Howie. 301 South is the way to go out through DEL, MD, VA.

In case you consider Hwy 13 S out of Delaware be aware there are gas restrictions with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (from their website):

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Don't mean to hijack but does anyone know the rule of bottled propane when using the Eisenhower tunnel on 1-70 west of Denver?
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Smile No Propane on Balitimore Tunnels

Originally Posted by katsix
Thanks for the directions. It seems like some are saying we can take the tunnel with the two lp tanks. Does anyone know for sure? Rob

The post by coastalview is correct, you are NOT ALLOWED in the Baltimore Tunnels with the large propane tanks on our trailers. As you approach the tunnel you will see signs to direct you to an alternate route on the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The other post suggesting to take 301 down is great except for crossing the Chesapeak Bay Bridge at Annapolis. Its a narrow 3 lane bridge going westbound and a more narrow 2 lane bridge going eastbound.

This is the information from the Baltimore Tunnel site:
Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Visit the Division of State Documents' website at to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote