Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Hawkshead TPMS and Tire Temperature

I have a Hawkshead TPMS, it allows your to monitor tire pressure and temperature.

I also have Michelin 16" LT Tires.

Can anyone tell me what should I set the temperature at to alert me to any problems? What is the normally temperature range?

BTW, I am still trying to get the system to work. I can only get to my unit about once a week to try to get it working.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
According to what I've read, tires can run about 60* above ambient after an hour or so on the road. tire degradation and damage commence at around 200*f. That said maybe set the alarm around 170 or so?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Same as above. That's where I set mine.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's a SWAG thing. I went on that journey a while back and found no real answers, except for racing info, which doesn't really apply here. 170* is probably good for an alarm. No valid rational for that but a good conservative "what's up" alert, I think.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why would tire temperature rise to these dangerous levels if the correct tire is on the trailer and you know the correct pressure is maintained?

doug k
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Why would tire temperature rise to these dangerous levels if the correct tire is on the trailer and you know the correct pressure is maintained?

doug k
60* over ambient isn't uncommon per my TPMS. What source do you site which makes this dangerous? Not a challenge, I've been trying to find a definitive source for some time. Can't find it.
1psi=10* I've seen 6 psi rise very regularly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No, I meant dangerous to be the over 170 degrees, thats the question.

doug k
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug,

If you're in the desert and it's 110* outside, a 6psi rise over ambient, theoretically puts you at 170* as a normal(?) condition.

Maybe a bearing going out on a hot day, although your pressure would indicate that as well.

I also have kind of struggled with a temp feature being kind of redundant, as a temp rise is indicated by a corresponding pressure rise as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
To the second part of your original post, the only things I can suggest are:

(1) You ned to really take your time and make sure you follow the setup instructions to the letter in terms of sequence of pushing buttons. First time I tried I was going to fast and missed a step.

(2) When you start out with the trailer on a trip, it can take quite a while for all the wheel sensors to register. I initially thought that they had some sort of motion switch inside and would switch on almost immediately - but they do not. Mine can easily take five minutes of driving or more before they are all registering properly. I think this is normal.

The way you can tell when you start out n the morning is by cycling through all wheels and checking either the temp or pressure readings. Until the sensor starts to work, it will show you the last recorded temp/press - which will be from the day before at the end of your trip and be much higher, so it is easy to see when all sensors are transmitting current info.

(3) I always try to keep the batteries fairly fresh. I carry a bunch of spares and a voltmeter and if any sensor seems to be acting up, that is the first thing I check.

Incidentally the battery used is not one of the common ones you can find in dollar stores and some places charge quite a lot for them. I buy them from Ebay (Hong Kong) usually with free shipping and pay maybe $5 for a dozens or so - the usually have a "use by" date several years out in the future, and and I order some every couple of years. Haven't had any problem with them.

Brian.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Freedomrider,

This is the thread I referenced above. A lot of discussion concerning pressure and temps with a tire engineer chiming in around page 3. Maybe it'll help you make your own decision on setting up your monitor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ure-88012.html

Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks all,

Much helpful information. Brian, your points are well taken. Will restart with new enthusiasm.

What a ride!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
I have the Hawkshead sensors and I am not quite sure I ever got them set up correctly. But then again I have never had a flat or a low tire since I got them.
We use GPS equipment on the farm equipment, including steering, yield monitors, variety tracking, sprayer monitoring and electronic record keeping but I still don't feel confident using the Hawkshead system because I just not sure I have it programed correctly.
Hickory
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
hickory,

I understand how you feel. Based on what I know now, I think this system is too complicated and the instructions are not the easiest to follow. Although, there are advantages to using this system, I am not sure I would purchase this system again or recommend it.