Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Have you stayed at St. George Island State Park?

I am not sure I understand their pricing. Is there a fee in addition to the $19/night fee? Also, there is water and electric but no sewer. Do they have a dump station? If not, where is the nearest dump station? Would you have to leave the island to dump?

What are the camp sites like? What are the beaches in the park like? How pet friendly is it? Do they have cable or is antena reception decent?

We have never visited the park on our trips to the island, but the photos make it look so nice and my family and I love renting a house there but would love to try camping over Spring break maybe. Also, with our cocker spaniel, we are limited to which houses we can rent and it would be nice to take our own place with us. Seems like a great place.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
We love St. George. Only one site #29 is a pull through. It's nice and big and at the end with more grass than the other spots.

The beach is a nice walk so bring some comfortable shoes and maybe a wagon if you bring lots of stuff.

Beach is WIDE open. Claim your 100' stretch of beach now!

Some of the spaces are sandy. I graded them all last time I was there. Kind of a habit of ours in case we return.

You won't get cell phone coverage on any plan (and the problem is?). There is no cable hook-up (your on vacation). It think I still have the map but I don't remember where the dump station was but most FL park have one near the campgrounds.

We took our dog. The dogs are not allowed on the beach although you can drive the dogs to the public beach (i.e. not the state park) where they are free to battle the waves.

TV stations are all far away and reception will be limited.

The shower houses are nice.

The beach is awesome.

p.s. The St. Joseph park is also nice but no dogs allowed.
p.s. Henderson Beach State Park is awesome if you can get a space. Not a bad campsite in the place. Our favorite park of all!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
St George is awsome! It is very peaceful. It is not a tourist trap. Very little on the island and no hotels. If your staying there your renting a house, condo or staying in the campground. The only other people there are doing the same so the beaches are not crowded and you can always find a spot with just a short walk.

While I have not stayed in the campground we checked it out when were were down in March with the hope of going down this fall sometime when we getr our coach back together. Very clean and most of the spaces are large and some privacy between them. Its about a 15 minute walk to the gulf side about 2 minutes by car. You can walk for hours and only see a handfull of people. You can drive out the the end of the island if you have 4wd but you need a pass thats avaialbe at the main gate. HUGE shells out at the end.

I think we are about to get into Turtle season. Check with the park folks.

Best place to eat on the island is the Blue Parrot. Holidays they are pretty busy but the food is worth it. The other resturant is a little nicer but the food is not as good.

Hope you not going down this week. They predict Frances will end up hitting near there monday is what I heard this morning. Might check the weather.

One of the Fourm members Hurst Lives on the island. I believe he runs a charter fishing service. He's known as Capt Charlie on the island. So if your into fishing look him up. The little bait and tackle shop on the right as you get on the island behind the gas station should be able to put you in touch with him.

Most late afternoons there is a guy that sells shrimp at the corner of the main rd and the road to the bridge. Dale's is the name wit hthe white trailer. We have had good luck what we bought from them over the years.

Web cams of the Island.
http://www.beachview.com/st_george_is_640.htm
The bridge onto the island is almost directly behind that cam. The Blue Parrot is to the left. Thats the busy part of the beech. See all the people? LOL

This one is behind the first facing the bridge. http://www.beachvillage.net/cam.htm
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
59Toaster, we are in Fayetteville (25 minutes south of Downtown ATL!) We have stayed on St. George about four times and love it too. We have bought from Dale and even brought back shrimp in the cooler a couple of times to freeze for the winter. He has great fresh sea food. Lobster are rather small, though.

I'm not familiar with the other parks mentioned by 1985air345. I didn't know there were any other than the one at the east end of the island. Never have been in it though, just have seen it on the map and happened onto their web site the other day. Will have to plan a trip there as soon as we locate an Airstream...hoping to look at one next week end.

Thanks for the info.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Whoops.

St. Joseph's State Park is farther west about (45 mintues) on the coast. Henderson Beach SP is in Destin about 2 hours west.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I can't improve on what the others have said - its been a year or two since I was there, but it's a great campground. You are correct, there is no sewer at the sites, but there is a dump station in the campground. And I was able to get good cellular reception on my Cingular phone.

I was last there in the off season and figured I would have no problem getting a site - I was wrong. I was lucky and someone had just called to cancel their reservation and I was able to get a site for two nights. Apparently, there is no slow season there, so reserve ahead.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

St. George Island

I've been to the island 3 times and I have always enjoyed myself. I've never camped, but I did drive through the campground to get an idea of the place. There is a motel on the island, I think it is called the Buccaneer,and it is right on the gulf. The room had a kitchenette and maid service. There are also condos for rent next door and an Inn you pass once you get over the bridge to the island. I also thought I heard about a hotel being built.

Be sure and rent bikes if you don't bring your own. I rode mine everywhere I went - to the store (they had great lunch meats), to the restaurant (if I remember correctly the Blue Parrot is a couple doors down from motel). The restaruant I liked best was Oyster Cove. They had the best gumbo! Don't forget to ride your bike over to Aunt Ebby's for an icecream cone. Now you know why riding a bike is so important, you have to work off all the great food. One time I was there when the blue crab came to spawn (I guess that's why they were at the shore, since I don't know anything about them). They were everywhere in the water , but they weren't aggressive so you could swim and look for shells (the water was smooth as glass during that particular trip).

Whether you camp or not, St. George Island in florida is a great place to vacation.
happier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I realize this is a very, very old thread but we are headed to st George Islznd and wondered if anyone had any more recent feedback. Anyone?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
We were there about six weeks ago. The park is very nice and the beach is long and wide. Reservations are a must and we saw plenty of folks on stand-by awaiting some cancellation.

We did a state park beach hop from SW FL all the way to Orange Beach, AL and would prefer St. Joseph Peninsula SP that's about 40 miles west from St. George Is. At St. Joseph the sites are a few yards from the beach and it's more natural, albeit a few mosquitos.

Either one is very nice.

Frank
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Cool! Thanks!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
It is our favorite beach campground. We go there every winter for a couple of weeks. I have not been there in the summer. In the winter it is very peaceful and quiet.