Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
No worries, I bought my unit from an 89 year old, single gentlemen who was "talked" into selling his rig by his retired sons who thought it was time for him to quit. I wasn't convinced he was incapable; he seemed sharp as a tack and spent 5 hours 'educating' me as part of the hand over. I guess he was merely capitulating to the endless chatter about it being "unsafe" to be away from family so often!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey, my Dad just turned 96 and passed his driver test! Doesn't tow, but still gets around town. As long as you're feeling confident....git 'er done!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Age? Not a worry if you're sensible about it. While pretty new to the RV life it's a life that keeps unfolding. We started three years ago with a KZ 14' ultra light trailer towed by a 2009 RAV 6 cyl. Put 8,000 miles on it one trip. Now driving a 1999 30' (31'?) AS motorhome Land Yacht (no more knocking down the dinette every night to make up the bed) and planning a trip this Spring to Southern California, the SW, TN, NE, and back to Seattle. Age means a little more time get up from connecting the sewage hoses and checking the power levelers, but what's a few addition minutes? By the way, my wife is ten years my junior and I turn 83 in three weeks.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Richard - I applaud you decision and it looks like everyone on the Forums agrees. One thing I will offer that no one mentioned is that camping is enhanced with physical fitness, even in the luxury of an AS. At 68, I stay in shape with regular visits to the gym just to "stay tuned". I find that climbing into my truck bed, moving generators, air compressor, plastic containers filled with supplies all go easier with strength and balance, not to mention hiking and biking at places we visit. The older we get the easier it is to fall out of shape. Just thought I'd mention this so you get a generous return on your AS investment. Have fun!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
On our first caravan we met a couple, he was 89 and she was 90. They were towing a 34 foot Airstream with a full-size van. He handled everything by himself and never need any help. He had no problem backing backing into a campsite or hooking up.
I think how long someone that can tow a trailer is different with each person. Each one of us is responsible to determine when we should quit towing.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I have known two guys in their early 90's who towed airstreams. Others in their upper 80's.

On our recent caravan to Newfoundland we had several in their early 80's. The older guy pulls a 34' and has signed up for Alaska next. My father towed until his mid-eighties.

I am only 73 but agree with an earler post - it would be foolish not to do it. We need to store up some good memories for our later years!

Enjoy

SkyMed member
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
In another post, I documented my recent purchase of a brand new 2017 FC 28 and a brand new F150 eco-boost to tow it. What I didn't mention is that I celebrated my 80th birthday on October 31. So here's the question: How many people in their ninth decade are still driving around towing an AS? Even if I can do it today, how many more years of towing do I have in me? Of course no one can answer that question.
My wonderful wife who is ten years younger than me doesn't feel all that comfortable driving the truck and she hasn't experienced driving while towing. I doubt she will feel comfortable being responsible for hooking up, parking, unhooking, leveling etc.
So as the title of the message asks, do y'all feel I've made a foolish choice at this point in my life?

Richard
YUP!
I'm 75, and I have just traded a 2015 25' FC, for a 2016 30' FC. 'cause I needed more storage space and room, AND that 'East-West' bed in the 25'er was the ' idiotic' pits.
I figure that I have another 5 or 10 years of RVing in me. My wife says that after two more years, she's done with RVing. She only comes with me for the ride, not interested in towing it, or even driving my new Ford F-150. Ecoboost.
After many years of very active life, and work, my health is not 100% anymore, (heart problems) and so I can say: "YUP"!
It's a bit of work managing an RV and is your physiology up to it?
I would thing more than twice about this move.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Thumbs up

Reading your title, I almost said "yes". Anyone asking if they did something foolish is likely have done something foolish. I am 38 now, and got my AS two years ago. When I am, I hope to be your age, I hope I can still do what you are doing.

In all fairness, you have to be honest with your ability so that you do not endanger yourself or others.

Good luck!
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Dalton , Georgia
I will be 76 Jan. 8th and plan to be at the Canopener Rally
Carter Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Springfield , Illinois
Quote:
In another post, I documented my recent purchase of a brand new 2017 FC 28 and a brand new F150 eco-boost to tow it. What I didn't mention is that I celebrated my 80th birthday on October 31. So here's the question: How many people in their ninth decade are still driving around towing an AS? Even if I can do it today, how many more years of towing do I have in me? Of course no one can answer that question.
My wonderful wife who is ten years younger than me doesn't feel all that comfortable driving the truck and she hasn't experienced driving while towing. I doubt she will feel comfortable being responsible for hooking up, parking, unhooking, leveling etc.
So as the title of the message asks, do y'all feel I've made a foolish choice at this point in my life?

Richard
That's awesome! You're my hero! I hope to be pulling an AS when I'm your age.... See the country, enjoy your life and don't worry about what closed minded people think.... I hope to meet you on the road somewhere 😄
cavitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Good for you, damn the torpedoes, you're an inspiration!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Moving along is what helps keep you young. Keep moving!!
When this Airforun thing started, we had a member named Dr Joe from SC. He had a 270 classic motorhome, as I recall, and traded it up to a 345. Took an "around the US" trip over the next year after he was 80.
Had the pleasure of meeting him at the very first AirForums Rally. A great guy with a lot of chutzpah!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If you have spent all of your kids inheritance good for you. Just to let you know what doing exactly what you did has done for me: When I step into my AS all of my worries are left behind. My blood pressure has dropped to the point I no longer need to take any blood pressure medicines (3 different pills). The stresses of the house are all gone. I no longer have to shovel snow, clean the gutters, mow the lawn, weed the garden, wash the windows, rake the leaves, clean out the garage or basement. I don't have to worry about the sump pump failing or the heating system failing. Finally I get to spend an additional $6,578 per year having a lot of fun spending the taxes I used to pay NY. The one thing you will learn very quickly is the AS is a social magnet. Almost everyone wants to meet you and dream about your new purchase. Take advantage, meet the many new friends, go with them where every they want to go. see your part of the world, have fun, burn the candle at both ends. Your wife will love you for it. As NIKE says: "Just do it" I am. Why not you?

Happy Streaming

GRA
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Awesome move! Go for it!!
I will turn 70 soon. My wife is one year younger. We just traded in our previous Airstream for a 2016. She routinely shares the towing duties of our 30 footer with a crew cab diesel truck. She usually backs in to a site and I ground guide for her. I hope to be around at 90 and healthy enough to keep streeming.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #35
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Age is a relative thing when one looks at it as levels... Congratulations, you reached level 80 and think of the skills that took to achieve!

As far as hookups and such, there’s always going to be helpful folks around a campsite that can assist with hitching, unhitching and the likes. I’d first drive the truck for awhile once you get it so as to get to know it and how it feels on the road before towing... Have you ever towed before? RV camped? If not, find a driving school to start you off then practice in a large, empty parking lot somewhere (a mega-church during the week, high school parking lot on the weekend, etc...). There are all sorts of videos on YouTube covering hookups, repairs, maintenance, etc.

Kim and I met a couple from Minnesota at a campground outside New Braunfels, TX a few years ago who only had a Honda CRV parked in front of their big 5th wheel. Never saw a truck so in talking with them one day, I asked how they got their trailer to the park. The wife told me they have driven all over the country for years but finally, after health issues, could no longer do that towing a trailer but, they still wanted to “camp”. They had contacted a local storage lot where they could keep their trailer when they weren’t there and had a local RV transport guy take it to the park for when they were arriving and have it all set up for them. If they wanted to go to another RV park, the RV transport could do that for them also. They were able to work out a great rate witty because they were “repeat” customers.

There’s always a way to enjoy what excites you...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Quote:

Richard
You're my hero. Each time the bell rings come out swinging. CDF 2013FCRB
cdfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
As you can see we are all cheering for you. I am 73 and we just had some major health problems. We healed up and went "airstreaming". We had a great time. As we get older we work together more and there is not much we cannot do. You will be surprised at how fast your wife gets used to and enjoys the little jobs. You will be surprised at how fast she gets used to pulling if you let her start slow in easy places.

As with all the rest we hope you have a good time. Hope to meet you some place. We ran into a couple in their mid 80's at a rally this fall, they were having a great time.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Good for you, damn the torpedoes, you're an inspiration!
Richard, I hope you use this forum as your go to source as you begin your adventure, the people here will miss dinner to help a member with a problem. As a new streamer you WILL have a few issues & good advise will be provided here. Last bit of advise from this "kid" is get a wireless back up camera, it will make your ninth decade more enjoyable. Joe (73 Yr old teenager). Happy New Year!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I met a couple at AS Rally and he's 89 and still towing and getting around well he and his wife use walkie talkies when hooking up. Just go for it none of us know how long we have age is not always a factor, good luck and enjoy !!!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I think you made a very wise decision. A new trailer will have fewer problems for you to tend to. The new pickup will be safer, more economical, and easier on the driver and passenger. In my opinion you have increased saftey for you and others, are better able to spend your resources doing what you enjoy, and improved your quality of life in the process.

You might have enhanced your ability to happily stay on the road for even more years while you still feel the spirit of adventure.

I have always said "Living causes death--every time, so you might as well live as well as you can for as long as possible." It is the folks that stop doing things that die younger than they should.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote