Old 01-04-2016, 05:16 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hi Richard, hey they say 80 is the new 70. Go for it!!
My husband and I just turned 65, we hope to go out on the road this summer after my retirement. We hope to make it until 80 doing this type of travel.
My real question I have for you is what exactly is the model f150, you tow with?? We are shopping as we speak for a new TV. We are ford people and were told that a f150 is not a large enough engine for our 25 ft 2003 classic AS?? Any information would be nice.
Kathy Hoover

Hi Kathy,

We got a 2016 F150 Lariat with tow. package and 3.5 liter Eco-boost. The dealer is installing an Equalizer weight distribution hitch. We are picking up the AS FC 28 this weekend. I too am a bit concerned about our F150 decision but the dealer assured us it was more than adequate. I also called Airstream and they too felt we'd be OK. Well let's see how it goes.

Richard

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #72
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Stay the course. If the hitch gets too heavy then I bet there's a way to build a small lift arm for it. Kind of like the truck bed lift arms you see on service trucks but in miniature. Bet some sharp welder can build one that mounts on the bumper and is light weight(aluminum). Maybe a small flat cart with wheels to move it around once unloaded. Just an idea for folks dealing with heavy items.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Hey Richard, are you going to put a camper shell on your truck???
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hey Richard, are you going to put a camper shell on your truck???

We put a trifold cover on the truck bed.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Stay the course. If the hitch gets too heavy then I bet there's a way to build a small lift arm for it. Kind of like the truck bed lift arms you see on service trucks but in miniature. Bet some sharp welder can build one that mounts on the bumper and is light weight(aluminum). Maybe a small flat cart with wheels to move it around once unloaded. Just an idea for folks dealing with heavy items.

I ordered a "hitch grip" gizmo. I guess I'll find out how heavy the hitch is this weekend when we go to Tampa to pick up our AS. From the videos on YouTube it looks manageable. I can't find the actual weight though I've searched the RV forums and the equalizer web site. I guess I could call the company, but right now that's the least of my worries.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Richard,

While I am younger than you I find that the Airstream requires very little in the way of brute force to operate and maintain. I have a ProPride hitch and for moving the stinger around I bought a 2 ft diameter wooden round at Lowe's and put casters on it. The most I have to lift the stinger is from the platform to the receiver.
The chore requiring the most agility is getting up on the roof for cleaning and maintenance. I use a step ladder on the awning side and a big foam pad when I am up there.
I find that driving while towing is more tiring than my younger days so I try to limit myself to 5-6 hours. There really is no hurry when you travel this way. Everything you need is with you.
I have not figured out an easy way to get the trailer wheels back on if you have to remove them. I had a flat and getting the wheel off was easy thanks to gravity. It was a bit of a workout to lift that 16" wheel back up on the hub(I have 16" wheels). I do not think I would undertake a project to remove and reinstall all of the wheels for TPM or anything else.
This really does seem to be an elderly person activity, as you will observe. You may want to find recommendations for a good maintenance place near you and just skip that hassle altogether.
Larry
Old 01-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I think it would be far more foolish to wind up in a rocking chair somewhere thinking " I wish I would have..."

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #78
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
I ordered a "hitch grip" gizmo. I guess I'll find out how heavy the hitch is this weekend when we go to Tampa to pick up our AS. From the videos on YouTube it looks manageable. I can't find the actual weight though I've searched the RV forums and the equalizer web site. I guess I could call the company, but right now that's the least of my worries.

Sounds good. I'm gonna see if a metal bar and hinge plate that could be hung on the tailgate directly over the hitch receiver would work too. Like a compound cantilever lever. Would reduce the physical effort a bunch I would think. I can handle mine with no problem for now but the wife can not, unless I get her real mad. Just got me thinking about the long term or if I get hurt while camping.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Heck.....you're never too old!

Look at Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
By all means, go for it. In a few years, I will be at your age and plan to still be going strong. I have a new F-150 for my Flying Cloud and plan to wear it and several more out before I put out the campfire for the last time.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I think you will find the 150 plenty of truck. As long as you have the trailering package, etc. I am amazed at the pulling power of that truck with the Eco Boost.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote