Old 01-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #57
Two Rivers , Wisconsin
Doesn't sound foolish to me. Bought my third rig recently, got married last January; towed 8000 miles on our"honeymoon" and will be 84 later this year. I do have some serious health issues but not enough to keep us from trailering. Start slow and stay close to home and you will spread your wings as you get to trust yourself.

jrbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #58
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I'm only 73, but I am (and always was) the only driver for our travels from Northern Ontario to Texas and Florida, and I just completed my first SOLO last November for 5 weeks through Southerner states and back to Ontario. I hope to be still pulling my AS when I'm 80. If you have the mental stuff to buy the rig then you must be ready to try it. Your wife can and will be the extra set of much as I hated to admit it my wife saved my but on more than one occasion; and she would never drive the rig. Go easy and be watchful...It gets better with miles under your belt. The challenge as we get older is to remain vigilant. Pulling the AS is sometimes just too easy!

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Never too old!

when I was 39 (1999) and in Fla at a campground on the gulf with my 1st AS (79 27' ambassador) an older couple pulled in next to us with a triple axle LIMITED towed by a rickety 76 or so suburban and he needed my help to git it parked and unhitched. I GLADLY helped and we enjoyed them for few days. I was so impressed by the culture of the travel trailer community that summer, I have never looked back and if you still have the drive to do what makes you enjoy life, just know there will be someone at each destination whose already a part of your community and will offer any muscle needed to git you in or out!

does that make sense?

alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
NO!!! I think it is wonderful that you have wanderlust. We are only as old as we feel, and mental plays a huge role. I'm a female late 60's and this was my dream, so I made it happen. Life is short, do what makes your heart sing. And I'm betting your wife might just come to feel less intimidated with a bit of practice! People laughed when I first tried backing up, now I'm a pro with my 23' FC. Go for it! The only regrets I plan to have are for the things I did not try to do.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Thanks to everyone

All of the posts have been very encouraging.
We are not complete beginners. About 8 years ago we owned a Trail Manor expandable trailer. We had no trouble driving it or backing into campsites. The thing I hated was having to spend time expanding it after it had been leveled, and then taking it all down the next morning when we were ready to leave. So we got rid of it.
Three years ago we bought a Winnebago Vista with three slideouts. It was constant trouble and the last straw was getting trapped in South Carolina when one of the slideouts wouldn't retract and I spent the whole morning fooling with it until it suddenly worked.
So we finally got to Florida and impulsively traded the Winnebago and Honda Odyssey for the Airstream FC28. (Even swap). We also bought the F150 ec0 boost in which we drove home. My lovely wife had no trouble driving the truck part of the way. The trailer is still in Tampa and we are going down in the truck to pick it up at the end of next week.
So I feel comfortable with the mechanics of towing and RVing. It will be an effort to find room for all the stuff we had in the Winnie. It's currently in bins on the floor of the trailer waiting to be put away or donated. The motor home had so much storage that we took much more stuff than needed. Years ago we tent camped so we are used to making do with less.
My major concern was my age although I exercise several times a week and so far as I know have no serious health issues. The answers to my original post have been most reassuring.
I've always yearned for an Airstream and now I finally have one. I'm sure we're going to love it.
Thanks again, everyone. Hope to see some of you some day.

whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #62
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, you have done a very foolish thing. But all the smiles you are going to see as you travel should add at least ten years to your life. No one knows when the switch will trip, and enjoying life until that time is the only sensible approach.

There is the issue of having a melt down at speed. I absolutely have no idea how to address that issue, but since it's on you, I'll respect your decision.

In a perfect world, old folks would give up driving at about 70 and get issued a 16 year old kid to drive the car, turn the wrenches, and enjoy the adventure. Unfortunately, we all hate with a passion the thought of giving up our independence and 16 year old kids punch keys but don't have a clue how to use a wrench. So the world is likely to stay imperfect.

I would say that when we first started hearing about folks only making 100-200 miles a day, we were shocked and a bit concerned that we might not be able to make the miles that our perception of travel identified as appropriate. Now that we have done a bit, those 200 mile days do not seem unusual. A slower pace is not bad thing. However, what we have found is that in the West, it may be quite a distance between commercial RV parks and the time of year does make a difference in how many are open for business. So planning really is a good plan. What we have also found is that while boondocking may be a bit hard core, stopping at less traditional solutions can work if need a break, find the venue interesting, or really like the Maine blueberry pancakes at Cracker Barrel.

Good luck in your adventure. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member
1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
I spent a lot of time traveling for the job and towards retirement I noticed that I was tiring more often. Soon enough I was pulling off the road and nodding out for a 20 minute refresher. When I retired and wanted to see the country on my own terms I kept in mind that the best rest is a comfortable rest. So now, with the AS, I can drive a few hours, pull into a rest area or Walmart lot and take a nap inside the AS on the bed. So donít worry. If you believe in the goodness of your fellow man there will always be someone around the camping area to help you with the heavy lifting. Enjoy the ride, take your time.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
See if you can find an active WBCCI unit in your neighborhood. We are new to Airstreams but found it comforting to travel with experienced campers. It has been GREAT! We have a number of couples in their 80s and they do just fine. Good luck, hope you find a unit as good as ours and Happy New Year.
MaiziesGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
You have to know yourself what you can handle or want to do. I would suggest traveling with others to get used to all the routine and have others help you as a newbie and observe your capabilities.

I met the nicest couple last spring here in FL who were full timers in their big motorhome that they lived in for 13 years- him a retired cop and 81 years old and her a retired teacher. They were from Utah and our conversation was about them on their last hurrah trip before quitting full-time and returning to Utah. They actually had claimed South Dakota as their home for the 13 years but... They told me that they planned to buy a View to take short trips in once they got a condo by the kids in Utah. He said that he really enjoyed the freedom but had a few close calls and knew that the bigger rig was a lot to handle and he was feeling it was a bit much to be so far from family. The point is that they planned to "adjust" their camping not quit. I believe that is the key and, if you are mindful of yourself, you will know best.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Richard: It is assumed you'll not be full timing. What does your wife want to do with the rig if you die first? And if other way around will you hit the road by self? If you have kids, one and the spouse may drive and vacation with you, as they may be then (or now) retired. Please list on the title who gets the rig when both pass on and do they want it? If more than 1 child will they sell or buy one another out. Are they wealthy? If you own a home and it gets sold, who will store your rig. There are sources for drivers (1) teachers on summer break (2) college kids during summer (3) advertize for driver in any of many sources, etc. How likely are you to continue to pass the driving tests and do any states require you test with AS behind for the OTR portion? Are you willing to avoid going thru certain cities which often are very difficult for even younger drivers (downtown St. Louis comes to mind- not for the faint of heart)? What is the probability you'll fail the eye test? Might auto insurance company rules cause you problems and will they keep you on after an accident even while not towing? Rates can get so high you'll opt to not drive. Given your age will anybody rent you a tow vehicle and/or a trailer? Are you wealthy enough to have to liquidate and not care about taking a bath? as you'll be upside down from day one. Since you don't care if the trailer lasts for 30 years. maybe a new cheaper. lighter. and shorter stick built trailer would do you. I took on a total gut job on my 1958 22" Caravanner and I'm 72. So you can guess I'll vote for "No guts-no glory" When the wife and/or I need full time care the first question for the RN will be "For how many miles have you towed a large camper"? LOL Larry
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
Absolutely not! �� ��
TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Good for you. I am nearing my 78th bd. I've decided that I shall give up towing when I'm told that I have left my left turn signal on for miles.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member
Hi Richard, hey they say 80 is the new 70. Go for it!!
My husband and I just turned 65, we hope to go out on the road this summer after my retirement. We hope to make it until 80 doing this type of travel.
My real question I have for you is what exactly is the model f150, you tow with?? We are shopping as we speak for a new TV. We are ford people and were told that a f150 is not a large enough engine for our 25 ft 2003 classic AS?? Any information would be nice.
Kathy Hoover
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hi Richard, hey they say 80 is the new 70. Go for it!!
My husband and I just turned 65, we hope to go out on the road this summer after my retirement. We hope to make it until 80 doing this type of travel.
My real question I have for you is what exactly is the model f150, you tow with?? We are shopping as we speak for a new TV. We are ford people and were told that a f150 is not a large enough engine for our 25 ft 2003 classic AS?? Any information would be nice.
Kathy Hoover
Hey Kathy--welcome aboard. Before we bought our Sprunter as A TV, we had decided that if we could make a pickup work fir us then the F150 Ecoboost would be kerfect for us fir our International 28'

You'll find many threads talking about the F150. Some feel that a larger truck is required to tie anything, but most if not all of the F150 Ecoboost owners are very happy with their rigs.

Have fun!

gecko is offline   Reply With Quote