2014 27' Flying Cloud
Willow street , Pennsylvania
A man has to know his limitations.

Rgmhog1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member
1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
About nine years ago we were in Denver at a KOA when we met an older gentleman. We asked him over for coffee and had a wonderful visit. He told us he lived in Melbourne, FL. and had just left the international rally and was on the way to see his son who lived in the area. His name was Mr. Winner and he was 95 years old. His wife was deceased so he was by himself. He was so interesting and alert. We still think of him with fondness.

79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
I met a couple at AS Rally and he's 89 and still towing and getting around well he and his wife use walkie talkies when hooking up. Just go for it none of us know how long we have age is not always a factor, good luck and enjoy !!!
Was his name Dean?
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
To answer your question: foolish? Depends on the relationship. My wife handles the inside chores when we camp. We go camping about one month out of the year. The Airstream is her home away from home and she loves it!
So . . . make the Airstream her Airstream. Visit great places and make reservations ahead of time. Years ago I would drive 350-400 miles in a day averaging 50 mph (including bathroom breaks)! Now we only drive 200-250 miles in a day averaging 35-45 mph. There are lots of adjustments we both make to enjoy the camping trips. These days, instead of packing sandwiches, etc., we pack drinks and snacks and stop at great places to eat. Make sure the campground you stay at has someone to help you get onto your numbered slot. Many campgrounds have on-site help that love to help a cheerful camper. Make it an adventure. Something your wife can share on FaceBook! jd
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This summer we met a couple who are in their 80's who fulltime in their MH and volunteer as Care-A-Vanners. They have done builds in all 50 States. I suspect that they have quite a few more years of building left in them. I also met a man who was in his 70's who had some trouble hooking up the "stinky slinky" and left a mess at the dump station. He commented that he thought it was about time to sell the coach and settle down.

What's the difference? As others have said, each person/couple has to know their own limits. Even then, accidents happen to people of all ages. Suppose you were 40 years old, had just gotten the truck, and gone to the dealership to pick up your brand new coach. As you leave the dealership a cement truck runs a red light and broadsides the truck. Was it foolish to buy the truck and coach? Probably. Predictable? No.

See if you can get your wife some behind the wheel time in an empty parking lot, then some lightly traveled roads, etc. until she gets comfortable with the truck. Then do the same thing with the coach attached. Even if you do all of the driving, she will at least know what is supposed to happen and will be aware of things that might not be right, and should she need to do some driving she will be able to do so.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master
If you enjoy the outdoors, nature, driving, seeing new places, meeting new friends, and have reasonable health....then, you have made a great decisions!

I have...and will continue to spend my grandkids 'inheritance'! HAPPILY! This spring, I bought a new 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport AIRSTREAM.

I just turned 77, am female, tow my BAMBI with a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. I travel solo and am independent and capable to manage all tasks in hook up and take down. I do Have some senior health issues, but, thinking positive...I just do what I want....when I want.

My daughter, also in senior years, did not want me to buy this rig...does not want me to travel...(is afraid something will happen to me when I'm away). I remind her that I make my own decisions, that no one can tell me what to do...and I go. She does not camp, I do.

I have AAA RV PREMIUM, also have EA+ with AAA. (Emergency Assist). Travel insurance. You might check that out or Skymed...good just in case. As I travel solo...I take along some "equalizers" for security on my trips...just in case.

I have plans for a trip next fall to Grand Tetons, Oregon, PNW coast...and several shorter trips during the summer...all solo. My daughter is far more concerned than I am. My advice to you...go for it and enjoy it for as long as you can. Don't allow a little thing like age hold you back. Good luck. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
You sir are truly Alluminati. I salute you!
C u on the road😊
Alluminati: not all conspires are theory,Alluminati is a 2015 27fb Flying cloud😎
Tv: 2015 Gmc sierra 3500 duramax allison 😇
"We like it"
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Single Female

I salute you. I do think it would be a great thing to give your wife - and perhaps even yourself - a towing course. Share the story about the wife having to do an emergency tow to the hospital. Even if she rarely drives it'll her more comfortable knowing she CAN do it if she has to.

Look for adaptations that will help you with chores. I found a plain old strap wrench helps me get the drain hose hooked up, or loosened - I have smallish hands. Getting the water hose tight enough so that it doesn't leak at the faucet is solved by using pliers OR getting hoses with flanges that give me extra leverage. Carrying the heavy hitch parts - that varies by hitch, but if you remember the bag that paperboys used to use - that might be really helpful, letting you carry weight across your shoulders and keeping your clothing from being stained.

Forgive me but you make me think of a tune ...
You make me feel so young!
You make me feel so spring has sprung....

OK no more smarta**. Age is a number. If you're in good health, keep going but enjoy the journey. Don't strain to meet deadlines.

See you down the road,

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Congratulations! You are inspiring and give us hope that we can be Streaming into our 80's. We just turned 70 this year and got our first AS so look forward to continuing the adventure.
2014 25FB International Serenity, Blue OX Sway Pro,
2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia

With that said my grand father was behind the wheel of his rig at 90, was traveling till 90 days before his passing. Stay alert don't drive past you means. Enjoy your selves. If you ever need a driver give me a shout we will find you one.
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I believe that you and your wife will enjoy the adventure you will enjoy undertaking. If we don't take risks, we end up with lots of "I wish I had done this or that but now I can't ". We need to go full speed until we hit the wall.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
As long as your health is up to the task, GO FOR IT! I was at an HDT ~ Heavy Duty Truck Rally this past April. There was a 94-year-old gent driving a Class 8 HDT pulling a 5th wheel trailer. Take your time to be safe and remember that good check lists are your friend. Happy motoring!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This photo really touched me. The story of Dr Holman, owner of the very first Airstream, which he and his wife built from a kit; is very inspirational. I saw this today on the Tin Can Tourists newsletter and had to add it here.

this is the Doctor and his son, who arranged for him to attend WBCCI events well into his 90's. The Dr was an attendee at the very first rally in the 1940's.
His trailer number is actually the year it was built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr Holman.png
Views:	55
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	254903  
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #56

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
...This summer we met a couple who are in their 80's who fulltime in their MH and volunteer as Care-A-Vanners. They have done builds in all 50 States. I suspect that they have quite a few more years of building left in them....
RV Care-A-Vanners will keep you young! We participate in that program and find it amazing that many of the volunteers are well into their 70's and 80's and do as much or more work as we do in our 50's. There's another thread on Air Forums related to RV CAV. Be aware that you and your spouse don't need construction experience to participate.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote