Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Have any of y'all ever seen this photo?

I couldn't put it in the body, so it's just attached. I'm curious if anyone knows the history.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Pucker 2.pdf (148.5 KB, 718 views)
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
It's a classic ad from Warn promoting their winches and hubs. The Jeep and road are real, but the location is contested.

The Airstream has been photoshopped into the picture.

https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/05/04...isements.shtml
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Addicts FB page and Francis DiBona, a photoshop genius is where the mash up picture originated. It has gone viral, to say the least.....

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks.

The internet community brain is amazing.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Several times in the last week on Facebook.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
It's a classic ad from Warn promoting their winches and hubs. The Jeep and road are real, but the location is contested.

The Airstream has been photoshopped into the picture.

https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/05/04...isements.shtml
There is no way I would ever believe that "road" is real, it's not a road at all. That tire is right on the edge, no way to maneuver even a little bit and going over any of that debris on the "road" is going to send it over the edge.

There has always been trick photography with this type of composite, double exposure, etc. This is just more of the same.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like a photo shop job. The road looks like Engineers Pass in Colorado.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is a section of the old Highway 1 in Mexico. It was featured in a TV show a few years ago about the 12 most dangerous roads. It has been marginally improved over the years but still takes many lives annually. Amazing the totally useless info you can find using Google. To see more of Francis DiBona's Airstream featured work check out his Facebook page.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A couple of impertinent observations:
1 - Even though the original is a Warn winch ad, the winch in the ad is not being used, so it's not a demonstration of "getting out without getting out" by using a Warn winch that can be controlled from the driver's seat.

2 - Both the original ad and the OP's posted picture remind me of the Roy Scheider movie, "Sorcerer." Or its French predecessor, "The Wages of Fear."
Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
There is no way I would ever believe that "road" is real, it's not a road at all. That tire is right on the edge, no way to maneuver even a little bit and going over any of that debris on the "road" is going to send it over the edge.

There has always been trick photography with this type of composite, double exposure, etc. This is just more of the same.
Real was a sticky choice of words. The Airstream too is real, it was just digitally inserted.

PBS History Detectives could do better than me because they would go dig up additional sources like the ad agency, photographer, and driver, but I will make a few observations using the Origin, Purpose, Value, Limitation document analysis strategy.

Origin: Warn Industries advertisement from unknown date, but possibly 1974 as some online sources have suggested. Warn is a Wahington based company, and the terrain and vegetation of photo appear to be Pacific Northwest with the tall standing evergreens in the background. Nevertheless, the location could also be in Seirra Nevada, Rocky Mountains, or similar Western mountain regions. As suggested by some in other forums the Winatchee National Forrest is a possibility.

Purpose: to sell winches and to illicit a strong feeling of danger and excitement. As one commenter said on Warn's website that this ad always made him feel a bit queazy.

Value: Cool Vintage Ad that has sparked years of concerns, speculation, and arguement.

Limitations: first and foremost it is an ad, which as an industry is not well known for "truth;" therefore, much speculation is appropriate. There are a multitude of ways that the original photo (without Airstream) could have been manipulated, double exposer is a possible way. One area of photo manipulation that I would want to know more about is the downhill side of the photo. The shadows on the "road" and cliff wall look right, but the lower portion of the photo looks darker than the rest. Could the photographer have made the road look more cliff-like than it was?

Other manipulation of the situation could be moving rocks to make the "road," or rather trail most likely for horse, OHV, or walking travel, look more treacherous. Other camera trickery is at play too. Primarily the tight focus on the lens being the primary way the ad impedes the establishment of context. Furthermore, it is unknown if the Jeep crossed this section or not. The Jeep could have been driven up a short ways on the trail for the photo and then backed out to the actual road behind.

The road and the Jeep are real objects placed in the print media together before the advent of digital animation and enhancement u like the version which includes the Airstream; however, given the purpose of the ad to sell Warn off-road products maipularion of the photo, or the situation, is assured. Given the vastness of open space in the western mountains and the existence of numerous treacherous "roads" or rather trails, the manipulation of the situation is a likely possibility, particularly with the tight camera angle that excludes further context of the scene; however, the manipulation of the photo by dark room is less likely because of the accuracy of light origin and shadow. The Jeep was driven to the beginning of a treacherous trail designed for other travel for the purpose of this and and then backed to a more passable route behind.

I think I will run my AP students through the same doc analysis strategy and see what thesis statements they come up with.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Photo could have been taken along this trail:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/SurpriseLake.html

Notice the rock wall in the background of one photo? It sits just above the road. The ad lends no evidence of what is bellow that rock ledge, but our minds make it a sheer drop off into an abyss. They could have easily wiched the Jeep onto the pile of rocks by that rock ledge for the photo.

I do not believe that is the location of the photo because the treed hillside in the background is different; however, the photo could have been taken in a similar location.

I agree with an above poster that Engineer Pass is a likely location too. As seen in these blog photos it certainly is a technical road with similar features of the photo in question.

http://texastinyhomes.com/san-juan-m...untain-passes/