Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Harry Chapin fans

Not sure of this qualifies but we're sitting in the backyard, nice campfire and I grab the iPhone to search a song, that lead to Harry Chapin . We played Mr Tanner, Taxi, Bananas, and Cats in the Cradle. What a story teller a crafter of musical tales.

Thanks Harry
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Harry is always a great choice for fire side music. My next choice would be James Taylor. His new album is outstanding.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Harry! How about "Better Place to Be"?

One of the best story tellers ever, and Big John Wallace has that angelic falsetto...

One of my all time faves. My wife and I literally saw them in Massachusetts (at the Chateau DeVille which is now a furniture store :-( ) about a month before he died. "Sequel" had just been released. I think that's the album that has "Remember When the Music". What an amazing storyteller. And you have to love how he played one show for him and one for charity fighting hunger.

Big wave of nostalgia there...thanks for that!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Really bringing back a lot of memories for me with Harry Chapin. One of my first concerts was Harry Chapin doing a fund raiser in Lansing Michigan in the mid 70's when I was about 14 or 15 years old. With his death in his prime, I've always realized that I want to get to concerts and other events and not put things off. This is probably part of the reason I finally bought the Airstream and starting to travel more even though timing is still not the greatest for me with work and other obligations.

I also had a lot of respect for Harry donating as much time and money as he did to many causes. Although his passing at an early age was unfortunate, I thought it was pretty cool that he was driving an old VW Rabbit at the time and not living the big life like so many rock stars and celebs.

Just a shame how many great musicians we have lost while still too much too young.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post

Just a shame how many great musicians we have lost while still too much too young.
Jim Croce immediately springs to mind. :-(

Totally agree that life is too short for celebs and us regular folk too. That's why we got our Airstream now too. Best decision (after marrying DW 30 years ago) and attending that Harry Chapin concert :-)

Mail Order Annie..."and ya know we'll never have too many neighbors - but there's you, girl, there's me, and there's God...."

Or how about Corey's Coming - "Old John Joseph was a man with two first names. They left him in the railroad yard when they took away the trains..."
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Have always loved Cat's in the Cradle.

But, when it comes to ballads, this is my all-time favourite....

If there were a thread, "Most Underrated Artist," this would be my choice....

Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
FaN, you must go to the Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Bay, MI.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Memories

Saw Gordon Lightfoot in concert about a month ago and have all of Croce's records plus a photo montage from high school. Gordon signed my album covers and I was oh so pleased. Oh the memories.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote