Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Hey Protag: in your photo of the WD40 and duct tape, I didn't see the credit card that you also mentioned. Would you please repost the photo to include the credit card, and don't forget to focus clearly on the numbers, expiration date, and of course give us the code on the back as well.

With my tool wish list getting longer, that sure would be helpful. I can understand if you don't want to put it out there publicly, so if you want to PM me, that would work as well. Just trying to be considerate you know

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
.......teflon tape, plumbers putty, JB Weld, hose washers, drill/bits, jumper cables/ tow strap (in the tv), food grade silicone spray, hack saw, file, assorted elec connectors/ crimpers, single malt Scotch.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Tools

Glad to see everyone is carrying such a vast array of tools. I think I will simply go door to door at the campground and borrow what I may need
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Glad to see everyone is carrying such a vast array of tools. I think I will simply go door to door at the campground and borrow what I may need

Great Idea and that way I willno need to worry about to much weight
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
that is too funny!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Handy tool

I always carry a compact floor jack which fits in a fairly small carrying case. It is great when tongue jack fails, for flats, etc. One never has enough 2 by 6 by 12 blocks. Three- way water connectors are often useful.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Right on Crusty

Never leave home with out the courage to face a problem and the proper vessel with which to drink it..... I'll take mine with blue cheese stuffed olive thank you...

Cheers, Mark
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Every time.....

.......a tool thread starts I have to post this.

Tools explained.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
Old 09-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay so you ALL are much better campers then I am! Mine include;

1. Leatherman
2. Cellphone
3. Large complete first aid kit!!!
4. 6 pack of beer (don't drink so no preference on brand)
5. A quart of what ever the good stuff is! (booze)
6. Another first aid kit!
Cliff
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I carry some butyl tape for an easy fix for leaks on seams or windows. And its easily removed for a permanent repair when you have the time to do it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Bob you have too much time on your hands , but that's a good one

Ice berg
Ice Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Know you know why I have a 34' trailer and a 1 ton, dual wheeled diesel truck to haul it all around with.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
As you apply your loving touch to your AS, put the tools in one place. Count said tools and duplicate on your travels.

You can probably exclude welder, plasma torch, a-frame and rivet bucking tools.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
Bob you have too much time on your hands , but that's a good one

Ice berg
Seriously though....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08301.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	195074  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Snap-On truck in driveway....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Anyone found a good, small toolbox with plenty of bins to hold my assortment of SS screws, electrical connectors, etc., plus a few hand tools?
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
Anyone found a good, small toolbox with plenty of bins to hold my assortment of SS screws, electrical connectors, etc., plus a few hand tools?
Check out tackle boxes.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #38
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Airperson here, My cheep tool place, Harbor Freight, has soft sided tool bags for around ten dollars but they are often on sale for half price and home depot has a fitted bag that fits there plastic buckets that hold many tools in there own compartment.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I try to limit tools because of how heavy they are. But, I have one toolbox with the basics. After 18 months, what I have used the most is:
-Vice grips medium size: I do all hose attachments with it.
-Torque wrench/sockets: Lug nuts, hitch bolts. Indispensible.

After those two a few screwdrivers and channel locks. I also carry a multi-meter, but realistically if things get to that point, I probably won't be able to fix it. Duct tape, black electrical tape and WD40 round out the kit.

I've seen a couple guys with a full-on mechanic's workshop in the bed of their truck. I've seen people without a screwdriver too!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Actually something much better then duct tape (where residue will need to be removed) is 3M heavy duty packaging tape.

Amazon.com: Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape, 2 Inch x 800 Inch, Clear: Office Products
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote