Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Handy Park to San Francisco?

We hope to take our first Airstream trip this winter, and San Francisco will be on our itinerary.

We did go there several years ago with our last (Award) trailer and really enjoyed it.

We stayed at Candlestick RV park which was pretty convenient to the city and they also ran their own shuttle which was handy.

This time, although we will likely visit the city for one or two days, I'd rather be a little further out in a nicer area, yet someplace where we could use a train of ferry to get into town.

Any suggestions?

If possible, it would be nice of we could find a spot with pull-thrus. The AS is about four feet longer than our last trailer and our new truck is another foot longer than our last one and I'm a bit nervous about tight back in spots!

We also have a Hensley hitch on the AS - I'm not sure if that will make backing in easier or worse! On the one hand, it probably adds another foot of total length, but on the other hand, I believe it allows for sharper angles.

Looking forward to getting used to our AS!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
St Louis , Missouri
There are a couple of RV parks in Marin County, north of the Golden Gate bridge; at least one of them is within walking distance of a ferry terminal.

Here's a link: Marin Rv Park

I have not stayed there, but I lived in Sonoma County for several years, and commuted to San Francisco by ferry. The area near this park is a fine place to stay, in my opinion.

Mike
bdlWidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
WOW $50... per night... I would boon dock some place...lol
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Brian
I live in Mill Valley which is about 13 miles north of San Francisco.
The Marin RV Park is clean but very tight. I don't think they have pull through sites.

I would stay at the KOA in Petaluma. They provide (with a fee) a shuttle to San Francisco.
It's one of the nicer KOAs we've been to. We take the boys there almost every other camp out! (we live about 35 mins from the park)

This is what you do.....
Leave your trailer at the KOA (very safe and secure).
Drive to the Larkspur Ferry (free..yes FREE parking) and take a Ferry to San Francisco. The ride is about 40 minutes and you get to see the whole San Francisco Bay. The Ferry Building is centrally located and close to everything...Downtown, Cable Car ride, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown and Public Transit that will take you anywhere you want to go in the City.
When you're done get back onto the Ferry to pick up your truck.
You will have a wonderful time! If you have specific questions pm me.
Maybe we'll see you at the KOA!

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Hi Brian
I live in Mill Valley which is about 13 miles north of San Francisco.
The Marin RV Park is clean but very tight. I don't think they have pull through sites.

I would stay at the KOA in Petaluma. They provide (with a fee) a shuttle to San Francisco.
It's one of the nicer KOAs we've been to. We take the boys there almost every other camp out! (we live about 35 mins from the park)

This is what you do.....
Leave your trailer at the KOA (very safe and secure).
Drive to the Larkspur Ferry (free..yes FREE parking) and take a Ferry to San Francisco. The ride is about 40 minutes and you get to see the whole San Francisco Bay. The Ferry Building is centrally located and close to everything...Downtown, Cable Car ride, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown and Public Transit that will take you anywhere you want to go in the City.
When you're done get back onto the Ferry to pick up your truck.
You will have a wonderful time! If you have specific questions pm me.
Maybe we'll see you at the KOA!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

That sounds just the sort of place we are looking for.

I did find the Marin RV park site on the web, but a previous poster indicated that spaces might be a little tight.

The KOA sounds good - especially the free parking at the ferry!

Presume that there are some nice areas for hiking or bicycle riding around that way too for days when we decide not to go in to SF.

Last time we visited the area, we walked over the GG bridge into Sausalito and then took the ferry back to SF - that was a very enjoyable day!

From the itinerary that i am working on, I reckon we should be in th area from about 19-22 March, all being well - may even stay a few more days!

Judging by our last visit, I sure envy anyone lucky enough to live in that part of the world!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlWidget View Post
There are a couple of RV parks in Marin County, north of the Golden Gate bridge; at least one of them is within walking distance of a ferry terminal.

Here's a link: Marin Rv Park

I have not stayed there, but I lived in Sonoma County for several years, and commuted to San Francisco by ferry. The area near this park is a fine place to stay, in my opinion.

Mike
Thanks Mike, will put that one on my short list.

For some reason, I think I like the idea of staying N. of the city and taking a ferry ride rather than staying East or South and taking a train, but I will keep an open mind!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Brian,

The Petaluma KOA is great as we have stayed there many times but its a bit north from where you want to be.. I live about 5 minutes from Novato RV park. I think you guys would love it and its easy to manuever around. Its closer to what you want to see by a few minutes and not as rural as the KOA.. KOA is great.. the traffic north of Novato sucks and can add an easy 1/2 to 1 hour of commute to your destinations.. just another option. Welcome to Novato RV Park

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Brian,

The Petaluma KOA is great as we have stayed there many times but its a bit north from where you want to be.. I live about 5 minutes from Novato RV park. I think you guys would love it and its easy to manuever around. Its closer to what you want to see by a few minutes and not as rural as the KOA.. KOA is great.. the traffic north of Novato sucks and can add an easy 1/2 to 1 hour of commute to your destinations.. just another option. Welcome to Novato RV Park

Good job Vinnie!
Looks like a nice park. We're gonna have to check it out...but 15 min from home vs 30 min gets to be a little silly!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
San Francisco Camping....

Here is a thread that is a couple of years old that has some discussions on SF. (Both Disneyland and SF) We go to SF regularly as our son lives there, but don't usually take our Bambi. If you stay on the Pacific side you may find the roads not quite as busy during commute time, especially if you travel Skyline... but you will need to disconnect and drive to a BART station or train.

If you like hiking, then a day trip (pack a lunch) to Angel Island is a must unless the weather is awful. It has a great view of the bay and has interesting historical sites as well as nice trails. (Not too hard, and you can bike as well) A ferry ride from SF or Sausalito is a short trip to get there. [Angel Island was the West Coast version of Ellis Island...]

There is some great bike riding and trails for hiking around the Presidio and under the Golden Gate bridge toward the west going by the old fort, if you have kids with you the Exploratorium is a great way to spend a day if it is rainy or too cold. The new Academy of Science at Golden Gate Park is also quite nice, as well as the new deYoung Museum there.

Have a great time! SF is a wonderful city.... at one time about 20 years ago they had a RV park right in the city, now there is a big high rise there....

Here is the earlier thread link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-29999.html

Mrs. Nor Cal Bambi traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson!
My blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
San Francisco RV Resort is an option. You can drive to a BART station for transit if you choose. See my blog thread.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Brian,

Many Thanks,

Looks like I may be spoilt for choice here! Certainly added to the list!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
San Francisco Camping....

Here is a thread that is a couple of years old that has some discussions on SF. (Both Disneyland and SF) We go to SF regularly as our son lives there, but don't usually take our Bambi. If you stay on the Pacific side you may find the roads not quite as busy during commute time, especially if you travel Skyline... but you will need to disconnect and drive to a BART station or train.

If you like hiking, then a day trip (pack a lunch) to Angel Island is a must unless the weather is awful. It has a great view of the bay and has interesting historical sites as well as nice trails. (Not too hard, and you can bike as well) A ferry ride from SF or Sausalito is a short trip to get there. [Angel Island was the West Coast version of Ellis Island...]

There is some great bike riding and trails for hiking around the Presidio and under the Golden Gate bridge toward the west going by the old fort, if you have kids with you the Exploratorium is a great way to spend a day if it is rainy or too cold. The new Academy of Science at Golden Gate Park is also quite nice, as well as the new deYoung Museum there.

Have a great time! SF is a wonderful city.... at one time about 20 years ago they had a RV park right in the city, now there is a big high rise there....

Here is the earlier thread link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-29999.html

Mrs. Nor Cal Bambi traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson!
My blog: Yreka History
Thanks - Angel Island & Presidio added to list of things to see and do!

I usually start to prepare an itinerary and add stuff to do info several months before we go on a trip - it always serves us well!

Last time we visited SF (first time) we did moste of the usual tourist sites, Alcatraz, Fisherman's warf, Chinatown etc. May do some again, but would loike to do a little more low key stuff this time!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees View Post
San Francisco RV Resort is an option. You can drive to a BART station for transit if you choose. See my blog thread.
Looks interesting - I see it is an Encore park, we have stayed at them before in Florida and always found them to be of high standard.

I am guessing that since this park is right on the ocean (which wouldn't be important to us) it might be priced at a premium, but I will check it out, thanks.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Brian,

It seems that you have plenty of parks to choose from. Yes, the RV park in San Francisco is no longer there-it was paved over about ten years ago. Gemma works right across the street from where it once was. It's now in an area known for dot coms and bio research companies.

If you do decide on a park north of San Francisco, the ferry is a great way to get to San Francisco as another member suggested in an earlier post. Not only do you have access to some amazing photo opportunities and vantage points, but once you land you can have a meal at some great restaurants at Ferry Plaza; amazing Vietnamese food at The Slanted Door, yummy Zagat reviewed burgers at Taylor's Refresher, locally harvested oysters at Hog Island Oyster Company, Japanese bento boxes from Delica that you can take and eat on the pier-oh, we can go on and on! One of Gemma's favorite gift shops, The Gardener, has a small outpost there. They have charming, unique gifts and housewares that you can bring home for yourselves and friends. There's Cowgirl Creamery, an artisinal cheese shop, McEvoy Olive Oil, Scharfenberger Chocolate and Sur La Table too.

The De Young Museum has lovely galleries. (Don't miss the observation deck/floor.) Right across the park is the new Academy of Sciences and right next door is the Japanese Tea Garden. If you're here in the spring you may catch the cherry trees in bloom.

One of our favorite places is Muir Woods in Marin. You can hike among old growth redwoods and take a trail to the beach.

Napa and Yountville make a nice day trip. The original Taylor's Refresher is up there not to mention the French Laundry and Cyrus.

Can you tell we like food?

We hope you have a great time!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Brian,

It seems that you have plenty of parks to choose from. Yes, the RV park in San Francisco is no longer there-it was paved over about ten years ago. Gemma works right across the street from where it once was. It's now in an area known for dot coms and bio research companies.

If you do decide on a park north of San Francisco, the ferry is a great way to get to San Francisco as another member suggested in an earlier post. Not only do you have access to some amazing photo opportunities and vantage points, but once you land you can have a meal at some great restaurants at Ferry Plaza; amazing Vietnamese food at The Slanted Door, yummy Zagat reviewed burgers at Taylor's Refresher, locally harvested oysters at Hog Island Oyster Company, Japanese bento boxes from Delica that you can take and eat on the pier-oh, we can go on and on! One of Gemma's favorite gift shops, The Gardener, has a small outpost there. They have charming, unique gifts and housewares that you can bring home for yourselves and friends. There's Cowgirl Creamery, an artisinal cheese shop, McEvoy Olive Oil, Scharfenberger Chocolate and Sur La Table too.

The De Young Museum has lovely galleries. (Don't miss the observation deck/floor.) Right across the park is the new Academy of Sciences and right next door is the Japanese Tea Garden. If you're here in the spring you may catch the cherry trees in bloom.

One of our favorite places is Muir Woods in Marin. You can hike among old growth redwoods and take a trail to the beach.

Napa and Yountville make a nice day trip. The original Taylor's Refresher is up there not to mention the French Laundry and Cyrus.

Can you tell we like food?

We hope you have a great time!

Many thanks - sounds as though I should adjust my itinerary to spend a little more time at SF!

The idea of taking a ferry into town is very appealing compared to fighting traffic with the truck!

Generally my plan is to hit the coast at San Diego, then slowly work our way up the SF, then over to Sacramento & to some of the Gold Rush spots.

After that we will head to Las Vegas via Death Valley and then over to Tucson where we generally spend a week or two. From there, a stop at Bisbee, one of my favourite spots. After Bisbee we will be on the homeward journey and will probably break up the trip with a stop for a few days at Nashville as we have done a few times before.

With luck, when we get home the snow will all be gone and time to start getting the garden in shape!

Had to use the snow blower three times yesterday and they are predicting more coming tonight! White Christmas here for sure!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'