Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Gulf Coast Camping in April

I'm up to my usual failure-to-plan-ahead tricks and have a few questions for folks who know better.

We are leaving late this week for several weeks exploring the FL-AL-MS Gulf coasts. I do plan to stay at Mystic Springs (although they don't know it yet) and explore the Pensacola area. I think we will travel down I95 and then strike SW to the coast and follow where we are led.

Any ideas on things we must do? Are there any concerns about previous years' storm damage and closed campgrounds? How about concerns about campgrounds that are now in use as residential areas? Are there spring break events that we should be sure to steer around? I'll have my generator and can boondock a bit, too, if you have a good suggestions for that type of place.

I don't think we'll go as far as New Orleans, and intend to return home via the Natchez Trace at the end of April.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Gulf Coast

Just be ready for the travelers coming here.Next week it will be in full swing until after easter weekend and it will be packed.Where I live I would not recommend coming here unless you dont mind the spring breakers.We were voted the #1 spot again if that says anything.Those states you have posted is spring break also for those areas.The state park here put signs out to let everyone know they are full and it has been up for a couple of weeks unless you already had reservations earlier.I can not say anything for the Destin area but maybe Moosetags could chime in and let you know there situation.Right now we are steady but it get out of control here soon.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Mystic Springs will be OK. No Spring Breakers there.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rats. Thanks for the warning. I'll pull the map out and do some more study.

We are not so much beach people as just wanted to see the coast. We'll be bringing kayaks and I expect we'll find lakes or springs to nose around in.

Pat
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Sorry about that.

This is the time when all the canadians and northerners go back home because of spring break.Personally You can get use to it but some people dont like the crowds either.Even though I live on the beach and see it all the time I also go to certain area to be alone or actually places where there are not a lot of people.We mostly go where the locals go because everyone knows everybody and are not the wild spring breakers you see on the beach.I would hit Mystic Springs if you are going that way.Also go to topsail.It is just families there normally during this time of year.Topsail is a bit higher for the money but the beach is great and is not crowded like other areas.
If you do plan to pass through Panama City Beach just do not drive to front beach road.The traffic alone will take you a couple of hours to leave.It is where everyone cruizes down the strip.If you do have the time though,Why not check out seaside.It is not that bad and is worth just driving thru.We do it all the time when we go that way to go camping.It is really nice to see.
Once you see those area and get an idea of what is where you can come down to next years can opener rally.

Please dont think I am trying to push you away from coming down here.Its just that a lot of people who do just are not into the crazyness.It is a great time to visit but there has to be compromise with the breakers as they are here to party hard then go home.I am talking about Panama City beach though.Destin and over is a bit better I think than we are.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Mississippi

The MS Coast is still a disaster area - but there are some great southern gems to welcome you. This is a tourist area and that infra structure is getting back on its feet. I don't want to be morbid but the storm damage is something everyone should see for themselves and recognize the distructiveness of a natural disaster like this. Most campgrounds are returning to their tourist base so there should be some open for you. I have seen fewer and fewer long term "campers" in many campgrounds - they are there just not so many. Call Ahead.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for the heads-up, fellows. We'll be sure to look ahead as we go.

Pat