Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
gulf beach campground in sarasota florida - anybody been there

I am contemplating taking my family (3 kids under 6) to gulf beach campground in sarasota florida.

Anybody been there? How did you like it? Was it kid friendly?

Any suggestions most appreciated!

-Sig

Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
I have not been there but am planning to go soon. BTW, it is now called "Turtle Beach Campground" and is owned by Sarasota County. My son is playing in a tennis tournament in February and that campground is close to where he is playing, so we are going to stay there. There is a website for it through Sarasota County Government...Parks...Turtle Beach. Looks nice. A single road, campsites on each side with the beach at the end. Sarasota Beach is a really nice beach. Plus, there's lots to do in Sarasota.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

St. Pete Beach , Florida
I wanted to add: is there a particular reason you are going there? There might be some prettier spots nearby if you are just looking for a campground close to the beach??
Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I've never stayed there since my parents live in Sarasota. The RV park and beach are very nice. Not too many folks go to Turtle Beach because Siesta Beach is much bigger and nicer (as a public beach). In an RV I would want to stay at Turtle Beach. More quiet and prettier than Siesta area. Turtle Beach is not very wide, has quite a fast drop off from shore, and has more coars shells for sand than the finely ground sand found at Siesta Beach (which is also on Siesta Key).

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

englewood , Florida
The campground is quite small and narrow. There's two rows of rv sites that run east/west with the road running down the middle. The campground itself fronts the beach, but not the individual sites.. does this make sense? We visited some friends from Ohio who stayed there. They loved staying there .. obviously b/c of location. It's a relatively new purchase for the county .. maybe two or three years as I understand it. They no longer accept pets as the previous owner did. If I were from out of state, I would love to stay here to be on the beach even though I know there are nicer beaches in the area.

By the way, the county is intending to charge to use the beaches per our newspaper today.. If you have an opinion regarding this, you may like to call and voice it. According to my county commissioner, the voices need to be raised now before the machines are purchased.

Sarasota County commissioners: 941/861-5344. This gets you the secretary. And you can leave your opinion with her. Our commissioner returned our call twice as he is dead set against it.

We need tourists income and I'd hate to loose any b/c they start nickel and diming everyone. But I am digressing from the original topic.

bTw, I see my profile says Ohio, but that's only for the summer.. I'm a florida gal mostly.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Might as well go while you can...county set to close the campground in favor of a larger boat launch facility to go with the marina across the street....rumor has it anyway.

Fort Desoto would be a better choice anyway.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I stopped by this park last weekend while staying with my parents. It is now owned by Siesta county, tho the prices are just as high. Still a great park. It is called Turtle Beach Campground.

BTW, the beach has been improved. A LOT wider. Now has sand with only a few shells. And the previous water dropoff is now very gradual. The sand is grey, but over time will bleach out to white.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

That's the only place I'll stay!

Is it $$$ "yes". But when I could walk out my trailer and have my child playing in sand by walking less than 100 feet, I play for that all day long. One year, I had already piad for the Florida State Rally and day I got ready to move from the campground to the rally a spot came open, I stayed at the campground and said the heck with the rally. That's the only place I'll stay.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

St. Pete Beach , Florida
We went to Turtle Beach Campgroung this past weekend. We needed to stay in the area for a sporting event and decided to check this place out. It's very small..one road leading perpendicular to the beach. And although it's pricey, we decided that we couldn't have stayed anywhere locally for the cost of the campground. We were amazed that right in the middle of a beautiful, somewhat ritzy, little area there would be an RV park. We went on a great bike ride and walked the beach. Really lovely. Had a terrific Mahi sandwich across the street for lunch. The people were all very friendly as well. We even met a family that had just picked up their brand new Bambi and were on their way home to Miami. While I wouldn't want to stay there for any length of time, for a weekend it was nice. If you go, try to get a site west of the laundry facility. The closer to the beach the better.