Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Hi all, as the OP thought I'd jump in. Appreciate all the contributions to this thread. It has been a very, very interesting read! We are in a 27 FB Globetrotter and there just isn't a good spot to store a full size guitar. Originally I was going to bring my Taylor but realized during the day I'd have to keep it next to the bed where it would be totally in the way (the case is huge!), during the night I'd have to move it to the dinette area, put it in the truck while towing, etc. That's a lot of moving around, every day. We are full timing so I'm not talking about a short term inconvenience during an occasional camping trip. It would be moving a case around everyday, having a case in the way everyday, for years. A smaller or cheaper guitar is really the same problem, just perhaps not as bad. Our wardrobe doesn't even begin to have enough room for a guitar. Don't want to keep it in the truck due to temp and humidity extremes. So....

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on ordering the Traveler Acoustic. Will have it Tuesday. For listening I also ordered a Line 6 Sonic Port. This will let me plug my guitar into my iPhone and use a phone app as an "amplifier" and effects device. I'll listen through my Bose earbuds. Alternatively I have a little Blu Tooth speaker I can plug into (it has an Aux input). I can also experiment with recording using GarageBand. If I like how it all works, down the road (literally) I might get an iPad to use instead of my phone. This system will be a bit cumbersome with pieces and wires but is not too costly and will take up very little room. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Steve

stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Hi all, as the OP thought I'd jump in. Appreciate all the contributions to this thread. It has been a very, very interesting read! We are in a 27 FB Globetrotter and there just isn't a good spot to store a full size guitar. Originally I was going to bring my Taylor but realized during the day I'd have to keep it next to the bed where it would be totally in the way (the case is huge!), during the night I'd have to move it to the dinette area, put it in the truck while towing, etc. That's a lot of moving around, every day. We are full timing so I'm not talking about a short term inconvenience during an occasional camping trip. It would be moving a case around everyday, having a case in the way everyday, for years. A smaller or cheaper guitar is really the same problem, just perhaps not as bad. Our wardrobe doesn't even begin to have enough room for a guitar. Don't want to keep it in the truck due to temp and humidity extremes. So....

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on ordering the Traveler Acoustic. Will have it Tuesday. For listening I also ordered a Line 6 Sonic Port. This will let me plug my guitar into my iPhone and use a phone app as an "amplifier" and effects device. I'll listen through my Bose earbuds. Alternatively I have a little Blu Tooth speaker I can plug into (it has an Aux input). I can also experiment with recording using GarageBand. If I like how it all works, down the road (literally) I might get an iPad to use instead of my phone. This system will be a bit cumbersome with pieces and wires but is not too costly and will take up very little room. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Steve
I'm interested to hear how the bluetooth works. I haven't tried it but I believe there's a delay that's inherent in bluetooth speakers which would make it unusable (e.g., the delay between what you're playing and what you're hearing). Again, I haven't tried it so maybe it isn't enough to be concerned about.

EDIT: Oops...I just reread you're post. It looks like you're planning on using a cable to plug in to the speaker so presumably there is no delay.

JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I'm a fingerpicker so I favor the parlor size guitars. I bought a vintage Guild M20 twenty years ago or so for $200 and used that for travel (including in overheads, albeit in the first class cabin), with a soft sided gig bag case. That is until I saw that Guild has reissued it and is charging upwards to $1800 for a new one! So now it mostly stays home. My Martin 000M is my everyday guitar and the case is not so big, but sometimes I use a soft case to save space. When in the airstream, it stands up in the wardrobe just fine, but can also lay flat on the Queen bed for travel. My twelves and larger (and heavier) Gibson Songwriter stay home, always.

I bought this Yamaha 3/4 size dreadnought for my granddaughter and it's a great value! https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgLz2PD_BwE
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAustin View Post
I'm interested to hear how the bluetooth works. I haven't tried it but I believe there's a delay that's inherent in bluetooth speakers which would make it unusable (e.g., the delay between what you're playing and what you're hearing). Again, I haven't tried it so maybe it isn't enough to be concerned about.

EDIT: Oops...I just reread you're post. It looks like you're planning on using a cable to plug in to the speaker so presumably there is no delay.
That is correct. Because of expected Blu Tooth latency, will hook directly from the Sonic Port using the headphone output jack and a 3.5mm TRS male-to-male cable to the blue tooth speaker AUX IN. I don't have high expectations of how that is going to turn out but since I have the little speaker I thought I'd give it a try!

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Warner Robins , Georgia
I run around with my old Ovation Pinnacle. In a gig bag it stays out of the way in the closet.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #62

2019 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
I have a Taylor GS mini that is extremely portable, playable, and it sounds great. Itís my go to when Iím going on a trip and I want to play
jugdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #63
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Obviously the best travel guitar for airstreaming is...wait for it...
An ‘AIR’ guitar! It takes up little to no space, and is supremely durable.
I jam out with it, then smash it after every song...and it’s still good as new!
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxlong View Post
Obviously the best travel guitar for airstreaming is...wait for it...
An ĎAIRí guitar! It takes up little to no space, and is supremely durable.
I jam out with it, then smash it after every song...and itís still good as new!

How did this escape the thread until now???
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
Well...

I bring my Collings D1A Western Shade top everywhere! I've dragged that or similar $$ guitar to numerous bluegrass festivals for 20 years! I keep it in an old style Reunion Blues gig bag that is minimal protection but have not had an issue. Newer gig bags are too bulky IMO.

Mine rides on the bed under blankets or in TV and hangs on hook in camp.

Many complain about gig bags but frankly I have never heard of a guitar mishap with a gig bag! Most damage occurs when guitars out of case so it doesn't matter the case! You just be danged careful!

I left lots behind when decided on RV lifestyle but not my Collings!

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #66
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
... and: bad wine, grumpy people, uncomfortable shoes and cheap-waxy chocolate!
Glad to see you're still in the groove, Janet!

I have a Backpacker. It's probably THE most mis-understood and maligned instrument ever built. It's widely panned because of it's funky ergonometrics and it's soft volume... but it's the best guitar built for the purpose for which it was built... and that's to take an instrument places where otherwise you wouldn't have one. If you've got room for a dreadnaught, then take a dreadnaught! If you're going somewhere that space, weight, or conditions don't allow taking a full-sized guitar, but you still want something to play, then take your Backpacker. It's pretty simple, really.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Well, yesterday I made the mistake of going guitar shopping with a friend. I found a used, actually there is no visible play wear, cedar and cherry Seagull dread that played and sounded great, for three hundred dollars at the local guitar center. So it followed me home and will be my new camping guitar. It came with a beater thermoplastic hard case that fits and will be good enough to ride in the trailer. The wife is suspicious that it won't fit in the closet but I explained to her that she takes too much stuff anyway and after I get rid of most of her clothes and hobbies my guitar will have lots of room. I'm not sure she bought that, but we'll see. ��
Mike
WBCCI #3960
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have two guitar hangers mounted on walls of my Airstream. Watch the sales at Guitar Center. I think I bought the pair of hangers for about $14 several years ago.
Marty Womer
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
How did this escape the thread until now???
Really. It is so obvious.....
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Well, yesterday I made the mistake of going guitar shopping with a friend. I found a used, actually there is no visible play wear, cedar and cherry Seagull dread that played and sounded great, for three hundred dollars at the local guitar center. So it followed me home and will be my new camping guitar. It came with a beater thermoplastic hard case that fits and will be good enough to ride in the trailer. The wife is suspicious that it won't fit in the closet but I explained to her that she takes too much stuff anyway and after I get rid of most of her clothes and hobbies my guitar will have lots of room. I'm not sure she bought that, but we'll see. ��
Mike

I am always surprised by the tone of Seagulls. They seem like they're made of balsa wood, but I love their sound.

Also, a guitar is much more important than a change of clothes.

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote