Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Group camping at a music fest

We and some friends are planning a several night several family camping adventure at a music fest. Our '85 Excella would be "home base", a kid-sleeper and bathroom/kitchen for the crew. One friend asked though, "cannot handle that much bathroom traffic?" 6-8 adults, 10 kids... Anybody have insight? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
With 18 people using the facilities in your trailer (especially if many are inexperienced campers,) your black tank is likely to fill very quickly. As for the grey tank, fugetaboutit!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I have big time experience with that

My tank was full, and the toilet was almost full and people kept using it, until I realized it.
Teenagers were walking right past a porta john to pee in my camper.

The take away from that is that festivals always have port johns. Some have showers

You need to RV educate your group. In the middle of the night, are they gonna come in and wake everyone up. Most experienced festival goers don't ask to use peoples bathrooms, they use the port johns. Most people cook and eat outside. I get about 4 or 5 showers out of a 28 gallon tank. A teenage girl will get one or two.

You could get a few porta potties that you/they could empty in the port john

For about 10 -20 bucks, you can usually get the guys that pump bout the port johns to pump out your camper….but it's not pretty…often they have to empty your tank into a sawed off 55 gallon drum and pump the waste out of that. And the trucks usually come early morning.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyoder View Post
We and some friends are planning a several night several family camping adventure at a music fest. Our '85 Excella would be "home base", a kid-sleeper and bathroom/kitchen for the crew. One friend asked though, "cannot handle that much bathroom traffic?" 6-8 adults, 10 kids... Anybody have insight? Thanks!

I hope you'll forgive me for being a wet blanket here - but trying to put myself in your shoes - if it were my trailer in that scenario, I'd be concerned we wouldn't leave the festival as friends! 😳

Unless they've all got trailers of their own, take care of them with great care, promise to treat mine better than their own and leave substantial deposits, there's just no way in hell I'm letting 18 people (more than half of them kids) use my trailer as a porta-John. No way.

I was thinking of bringing my trailer to a Patriots game with family/in laws and the thought of how 15 well-lubricated adults would treat that bathroom .... Just no! 😄

And if that's not your view, the only question you have to ask is about hookups or honey wagons at the festival based on anticipated usage.

With 18 people using your toilet and sinks, you'd have to calculate the rate of, uhm, accumulation. With careful management of moving gray to black (something your audience may not understand), my wife and I can do a 4 day weekend fairly comfortably. So in rough math - say black and grey equal 80 gallons - we're each using at a rate of .4 GPH (so the 2 of us use .8 GPH times 96 hours is about 77 gallons over 4 days). 18 people producing at that rate will fill your tanks about every 10 hours (this is napkin math mind you...your mileage will certainly vary). If you have water and sewer hookups, you can manage that.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes! 😃
Old 11-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks, y'all. We're rookies! :-) I'll pass on the overwhelming info to the crew...
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Does the campground have a bath house?
Does the campground have full hookups?
Does the music venue have porta-potties?
Yes. No problem.
No. Hmm...
Men folk can go behind a tree in the woods.
I try to limit using the trailer as much as I can unless we have full hookups-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
My Airstream is often party central when we go out on our kayak camping Meetup weekends. Everybody but my wife and myself basically stays outside. We conduct tours for the interested. Nobody but us uses the toilet inside.

We set up a BBQ, awning, seating, flat screen TV and music outside, so folks are definitely benefiting from us being there. It's great to be able to jump inside and hide for a bit, or to retire for the evening.

Somebody doesn't like it, they're welcome to go buy their own Airstream and set their own rules. Betcha those rules don't include the multitudes getting to pee in their trailer!

Besides, it seems like most people are somewhat intimidated by being inside something that the person in front of them has completely remodeled with their own hands...
Old 11-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Just say the bathroom is out of service, sorry! .... but the cooler with ice in it over there is working just fine - have a blast!! Seems to me that people have had to go in the woods while camping out for a lot longer than there have even been Airstream trailers!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

A guy was camped next to us.

His motorhome was huge. I mean HUGE. Just making conversation, I asked him how many did the motorhome sleep.

His answer was simple……..One
Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
His motorhome was huge. I mean HUGE. Just making conversation, I asked him how many did the motorhome sleep.

His answer was simple……..One

That's the way to go! I'm solo in my 39'3" bath and a half, Freightliner Super C. Retired life is GOOD!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My answer to that question is, "2. Me and my wife."

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Bradley, just want to agree with part of your plan.

Although not the safest thing for your camper….putting the kids in the camper is probably safest for them. Quieter too.

I've been to festivals where cars rolled down hill over tents. Drunks on golf carts hit tents, tree branches fell on tents…etc.

There will be all sorts of folks at festivals. Not all will be family appropriate. I've seen things that I could not repeat on this forum, plus the normal wild behavior. It's a party where people don't have to drive home afterwards. I camped with over a hundred people I knew. We watched each others kids like a hawk. Smaller festivals ( 1000 people ) are a bit safer.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Pickin' at the Lake bluegrass festival at Grenada Lake is family friendly, but there can still be drunks in cars, on golf carts, or tree limbs can(and do) still fall.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyoder View Post
The Mardi Gras solution to bathroom breaks for groups, let the group rent a Port-a-Potti and a U-Haul to carry it in. Every year along the parade routes, you'll see exactly that in several locations, set back about half a block from the route.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote