Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Great Smoky Mountains Driving Advice

In early September we are staying in a KOA near GSMNP. Coming from the Dallas area I-20 & I-40 are just about the same but I’ve driven I-20 many times and would prefer to drive through Tennessee.

My question is, how’s park road 441 with a 25 footer. Seems to be a lot of hairpins and overlooks? I’m sure traffic can be bad, too but I assume most schools will be back in session after Labor Day.

Thank you,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
No issue taking our Serenity 28 through Gatlinburg and over the mountains to Cherokee towing with an F250 diesel. I would not do “Tail of the Dragon” ( but the pictures from Kilboy.com would be awesome)
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not too sure about 441. From the Google map views it looks normal for a two lane scenic route. The shoulder looks clean. Not always really wide, but not intimidating. Would think 441 was a nice route to explore.

Now I40 through Tennessee is another story. It's been a lot of years and we were not towing, but I swore to never take I40 through there again. It's not road condition. It's the trucks. Enough hills that they struggle, but not so steep they can't make time. They group together so that when one decides to make better time it's a long slow pass and the left lane is full of cars trying same, so that truck is likely to pop out right in front of you.

It's possible, that all works reasonable when towing. I doubt it and won't try. Good Luck with your routing. I understand not wanting to travel same over and over. Something new does help. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
441 through the park is a very good road. Wide, smooth, well marked. I40 is a good road and it has heavy truck traffic. All with less traffic than Dallas. If you go in the Cherokee, NC area beware of blindly following the GPS. Check parkway exits with a map. The G p s will sometimes put you where you can not go with a trailer over in that area.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Hwy 441 should be fine but no go on some of the roads off of it in the park. Don't go to Clingmans Dome for example even though they takebussrs up there.

I-40 is fine. Well depending upon traffic. The nice thing is it dosen't go through Atlanta like I-20.

Hwy 441 through Gatlinburg can be a trail.

You cannot legally tow on the blue ridge parkway.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We took an Airstream caravan on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sure it is legal to tow on the Parkway. No commercial vehicles though.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jacksonville , Florida
Many nice campgrounds on the BRP.
Airstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Any "must sees" on the BRP and any "don't try thats"? What CG did you like best on the run over the BRP? Your impressions are appreciated. Sorry for a bit of hyjack, but it's related. Trust me. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Also read the sections on the park website about what roads are friendly to trailers. Heed these warnings!

I took my Airstream to GSMNP for its shakedown trip and I stayed at Elkmont for 4 nights and thought it was great. But an “information center” employee in one of the towns gave us bad advice and we took a road to Elkmont which basically eats trailers for dinner. There is a turn onto a wooden bridge which has apparently ripped off the sides of many an airstream.

Thank goodness a ranger coming the other way on the road saw us coming and turned around and pulled us over. And though we (including three ranger) blocked traffic on this tiny mountain road for 20-30 minutes I was able to turn the trailer around in a small pullout, having to unhitch and rehitch a propride in order to get the rig facing the other direction.

This was my first trip with the Airstream. I learned a lot that day.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
We took an Airstream caravan on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sure it is legal to tow on the Parkway. No commercial vehicles though.
True..... There are camp grounds too. But I recall some restriction. I usually base camp and travel from trailer to local area.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We did the Taste of the BRP caravan in May, 2019. It was fantastic! On our way to the starting point we went across the Cherohala Skyway towing our 2019 27' Globetrotter. It's a beautiful drive - but not one that I would do again while towing. Lots of turns and the highway is a bit narrow in spots.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The Blue Ridge runs along the crest. There are a few good roads that access lt. Be sure you take one of them when towing. There are also roads you do not want to try. My GPS took me off a US highway onto a dirt forest service road in the Virginia mountains and then back to the highway. A road map is your friend here. Even some of the main US highways are hairpins and grades for stretches. I write this from Yellowstone Park. I have not seen anything out here that is more challenging than the highland regions of NC, TN, and VA for pulling.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Dallas to Nashville is 10 1/2 hours going on I-30 to Arkansas and then I-40 through Arkansas and Tennessee. I-40 is a piece of cake across TN. 80 MPH all time. Take the I-840 loop around Nashville to avoid Nashville traffic. It's longer however it a nice ride and good road. It connects back up with I40 East of Nashville.

If you are little adventurous take the I-140 Pellessippi Parkway Exit on the West side of Knoxville towards Alcoa and Maryville TN. Follow it into Maryville and keep going through Maryville on TN 321. You will leave Maryville on TN 321 going through Walland TN and eventually end up in Townsend TN. Nice little town with great campgrounds. You can enter the GSMNP right there just east of Townsend which will take you to GSMNP entrance in Gatlinburg on TN 441 OR continue on 321 North towards Pigeon Forge. 2 lane road from Townsend to Pigeon Forge however no problem with your trailer. Stop in Wears Valley in the middle and have a look around. When you git to Pigeon Forge you can turn right on TN 441 and go to Gatlinburg and eventually Cherokee NC. This is same location you would arrive at IF you take the GSMNP entrance in Townsend TN.

Make sure you stop at Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley NC. Well worth the time and very interesting.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Come I 20 to Atlanta north to Helen Ga.for October Fest and stay at the Top of Georgia Airstream Park. The fest starts in September. Then continue north to Hiawassee Ga. and on to GSMNP. Great place to stay over at the foot of the Blue Ridge.
TOG is 6 miles north of Helen on Georgia 75.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
From Hiawassee you can go east around Lake Burton to Clayton GA. and 441 north to GSMNP. Real great road and great views and great places in Clayton to eat and shop.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Avoid Tail of the Dragon

In September, the Tail of the Dragon would be miserable for a Tow Vehicle with Trailer and more frustrating for all the Motorcycles.

Second Comment: While the Blue Ridge Parkway is stunning, Do not plan long sections of driving on it. While the speed limit is 45 the whole way, the real speed is much slower. And anytime trying to drive for any number of hours, the continuous turns seem to be non-stop.
Slowing down for all the turns gets frustrating after a while.

The Speed limit is 45. It is a Federal highway and speeding tickets are Federal, not state and the park rangers patrol fairly regularly and do not mind giving speeding tickets. The park is there for eveyone to enjoy, and they work hard to keep it that way, and keeping the speed down is one way they do it.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1992 26' Land Yacht
Wickes , Arkansas
Thanks for all the great input. We are planning a trip to GSMNP around the same time.
Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club
Squairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
And as a local do not take 19 from Cherokee to Maggie Valley. Its doable? but very tight I would not tempt it. Also from the Blue Ridge don’t take 215 north and try and avoid 276 both have lots of very tight turns and are steep.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you decide to enter via Townsend be sure to consider two nights at Cades Cove in GSMNP. This is an interesting valley which contains many structures from early settlers to experience.

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...tn/cades-cove/

While RVs are allowed, you will encounter tunnels on the Blue Ridge.

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/tunnels/

As for "The Tail of the Dragon" road (route 129 to Deal's Gap) mentioned above, be aware that Tennessee has restricted vehicles longer than 30' from driving this roadway which has 318 turns in an 11 mile section!

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/storie...-of-the-dragon

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Not legal to tow on BRP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Hwy 441 should be fine but no go on some of the roads off of it in the park. Don't go to Clingmans Dome for example even though they takebussrs up there.

I-40 is fine. Well depending upon traffic. The nice thing is it dosen't go through Atlanta like I-20.

Hwy 441 through Gatlinburg can be a trail.

You cannot legally tow on the blue ridge parkway.
You absolutely can tow on the BRP.

Mt. Pisgah Campground is directly on the BRP just outside of Asheville, NC. You have to tow on the BRP to get to the entrance. We live 20 minutes from the BRP and have towed our 2017 23D all the way from Asheville to Boone, NC and have camped at 2 campgrounds located on the BRP just south of Boone, NC. We frequently each lunch at the picnic tables outside of the convenience store located at the Mt. Pisgah Inn and watch folks going by towing all manner of RV's. You do have to pay attention to some of the tunnel heights. AS is no problem as they are just at 10' high.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote