Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I hope to eventually visit all of the Louisiana State Parks. I managed to visit three in 2012, so I'm off to a good start.

Your information about North Toledo Bend, South Toledo Bend, and Lake claiborne is most appreciated. I may hit one of the Toledo Bend parks for Mardi Gras, if they're not already booked up.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Tasty

Boudreau & Thibodeau's in Houma

Boudreau & Thibodeau's Cajun Cookin Seafood Restaurant

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
If you're going to be near NOLA, I recommend Bayou Segnette State Park. As a previous poster said, it's only about 20 minutes from The French Quarter. We've been there twice, and love it. They offer water an electric, WiFi, free use of the laundry, all for $18 per night. At least that was the price a year ago when we were there on New Years Eve. The Verizon (3G aircard and phone) service was excellent also. The WiFi was a bit slow at peak times.

While we were there, we explored the small towns, parks, and wildlife areas just south of NOLA. It was a good location for us.
I'll second this recommendation. We stayed at Bayou last October and it was great. It's on the south side of the river, so getting into the heart of NOLA requires some travel, but for someone that likes a peaceful out-of-the-rush place, Bayou was a great fit.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Add us to the Lincoln Parish Park fan club. There is a great trail system and the RV sites overlook a great little lake. sunsets are dynamite. Staff is very friendly. The only downside is that there really isn't much to do in Ruston.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
Add us to the Lincoln Parish Park fan club. There is a great trail system and the RV sites overlook a great little lake. sunsets are dynamite. Staff is very friendly. The only downside is that there really isn't much to do in Ruston.
That's one of the main reasons we have the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally there, it's kind of in an orphaned part of the state. Ruston's growing.....slowly.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
The calendar of events for Ruston is awfully sparse for a college town. Sporting events for Grambling and for Louisiana Tech, mostly.

Still, if the campground offers enough things to do to be a destination in itself, and not just a place to park your trailer while exploring the surrounding area, that's all right in my book. Someplace to launch my inflatable kayak, someplace to hike, I can keep myself amused pretty well.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We were there for the Gator Xterra (mountain bike triathlon) in early May and would go again in a minute if our schedule permits. The mountain bike trails are awesome and the camping area is peaceful. "Hidden Gem" is an accurate description.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We live here in town and regularly go there for the weekend just to get our "fix" when we need to camp. It's our recharging station.
We are always spreading the word about our little oasis. Don't hesitate to shoot me a message next time you're in town, if nothing else maybe I can drive out there and say hi!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
I didn't see Cajun Palms listed, but I've got friends who swear by it. You can google its website for specifics, but its in the heart of Cajun Country.
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I hope to eventually visit all of the Louisiana State Parks. I managed to visit three in 2012, so I'm off to a good start.

Your information about North Toledo Bend, South Toledo Bend, and Lake claiborne is most appreciated. I may hit one of the Toledo Bend parks for Mardi Gras, if they're not already booked up.
I did a little more research, and was amazed at the number of state parks within a two hour drive of my place. We've got to get out and get to more of them.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We ended up booking a site at Sam Houston Jones SP in/near Lake Charles; will let you know how it goes! Any experience there welcomed if any.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We live in LC and camped Sam Houston a number of times early on but it has been a number of years since we have stayed there. The park has a nice setting and is well kept. Following hurricane Rita the state spent money in restoring the bathrooms and in replacing some of the walkways which were destroyed during the storm. It gets very busy during the weekend. There are nice tables down along the water for grilling and that area sees heavy use by day visitors. If you are interested in some good seafood you need to visit SteamBoat Bills out on I-10 just east of the bridge. You will not be very far. I suggest you arrive no later than 5 because it get busy real fast after that. A nice meal will cost two around $40 but unless you are a real heavy eater your leftovers will cover you the next day. A great place to eat with a nice cajun attitude. And feel free to go in your jeans and t-shirt. Otherwise...you will look out of place. Enjoy SW Louisiana.
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

French Quarter RV Resort

FQRV charges $84 per night, with a discount for weekly and monthly stays. The price goes up during sports events, festivals, holidays, Mardi Gras. I wouldn't expect to be able to travel after a night on the town in NOLA. Their web page
makes it sound like you need a reservation. ( No shows pay full price )
It looks like a very fun $500 or more weekend if you add drinks and dining out.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
FQRV charges $84 per night, with a discount for weekly and monthly stays. The price goes up during sports events, festivals, holidays, Mardi Gras. I wouldn't expect to be able to travel after a night on the town in NOLA. Their web page
makes it sound like you need a reservation. ( No shows pay full price )
It looks like a very fun $500 or more weekend if you add drinks and dining out.
I would at least call ahead for availability.

Certainly, you would need reservations for a special event. We stayed there for JazzFest a couple of years ago, because they had a shuttle to/from the gate. One of the best times, ever!

A great lineup, looks like, for JazzFest 2013.

FQRV is still Passport America, half price off one night per stay, not good on weekends, special events, etc.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope some of you Looozianna Airstreamers are going to get to Matt & Stephanie's rally at Lincoln Parish Park this spring.

One of those "great locations" referenced here, and some really nice people trying to get some rally activity going in their area.

See the "Two Weeks From Everywhere" rally.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't see Grand Isle State Park mentioned here, but it is very nice with a beach to walk on.

We love the drive down there, being landlocked Midwesterners, with houses up on stilts and places for cheap, fresh shrimp every block or so.

They have a new bathhouse and free laundry.

The only drawback, if you have a pet, is they have gotten very persnickety about dogs on the beaches, last time we were there. Something about the city of Grand Isle ordinance not allowing dogs in swimming areas and all beaches are considered swimming areas even if no one is swimming.

I don't know if that has changed, but it seemed downright unfriendly to us. If you pick up after your pet, what the --ll difference does it make? The gulls and pelicans poop everywhere!

Maggie
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I hope some of you Looozianna Airstreamers are going to get to Matt & Stephanie's rally at Lincoln Parish Park this spring.
Hey, we don't discriminate just to "Loozianna-ians", we accept everyone! We even had an Alabama Fan at the last rally

I promise I didn't bribe her for this shameless plug......although the next time they make it down here I'll definitely have to feed them or something.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
If you are interested in some good seafood you need to visit SteamBoat Bills out on I-10 just east of the bridge. You will not be very far. I suggest you arrive no later than 5 because it get busy real fast after that. A nice meal will cost two around $40 but unless you are a real heavy eater your leftovers will cover you the next day. A great place to eat with a nice cajun attitude. And feel free to go in your jeans and t-shirt. Otherwise...you will look out of place. Enjoy SW Louisiana.
Love seafood, and appreciate the suggestion - will do!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
When? I didn't attend the first annual Two Weeks from Everywhere rally due to already having reservations elsewhere that weekend, so I'm looking for a chance to get up to Ruston and see what I missed.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

When? I didn't attend the first annual Two Weeks from Everywhere rally due to already having reservations elsewhere that weekend, so I'm looking for a chance to get up to Ruston and see what I missed.
Yes! Annual! Lots of rallies to be had in the future.

We're planning a spring rally April 12-14 here in Ruston and a fall rally around the end of September.