Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
There is a RV campground right next to the French Quarter in New Orleans. Kind of barren but it is close to the action.
Kind of barren? It's a parking lot for RVs (mostly Class A and 5th wheel whenever I drive by) with rigs shoehorned in, but with a wall around it and a reasonably secure gate. Reserve your space early; it fills up fast for any special event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
For food, Houma, Raceland, Thibodaux.
Riverfront restaurant in Abbeville, LA, south of US-90.
Spahr's Seafood on US-90 in Des Allemands. Fried catfish is their specialty.
Satterfield's in New Roads (on the bank of False River, the most beautiful lake in Louisiana).
Christiano Ristorante in Houma.
Touristy, but right along I-10 around Henderson, there's Landry's Seafood. Some may say it's not "authentic" but I've never heard a complaint about the quality of the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
Chicot State Park (north of Lafayette)
Closest town is Ville Platte. North of US-190 and west of I-49. I stayed there for New Year's weekend, and liked it. The south campground is better than the north campground, and closer to the State Arboretum (but farther from the lake). Fair warning, water hookups can be kind of far away from the asphalted parking (mine was 37 feet from my Interstate's water inlet), so make sure you've got plenty of water hose. Some of the electric hookups are curbside, too, rather than driver's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
We are looking for a campground in Louisiana towards the end of February. We need to work during the week, but are looking for a campground that has Verizon service, but could be (preferred) a state park - something with a place for hikes and kayaking in our off time.
The Bogue Chitto River is prone to flooding, which closes the bottomland campsites and shuts down the canoe/kayak rentals for the duration, but Bogue Chitto State Park near Franklinton, LA is pretty good. It's Louisiana's newest State Park. I stayed there for Mardi Gras 2012. About fourteen miles of hiking trails altogether. The upland campsites don't flood, have full hookups, and free WiFi. Good reception on my cell phone, too. Fair warning, all Louisiana State Parks aggressively filter their free WiFi service to block sites that are not 100% safe for work (including many sites that use "tailored" advertising based on your browsing history that they consider "spam" even if they're work-safe), so you may find yourself preferring to use your own wireless broadband rather than the park's.

If it's after Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl, you can also try Tickfaw State Park, Fountainbleu State Park, and Fairview-Riverside State Park, all on the north shore of Lake Pontchartain. The only one I personally stayed at (so far) was Fairview-Riverside, but I've been to the day-use area of Fountainbleu several times. Fairview-Riverside has a "guests only" boat launch that puts you into the Tchefuncte River only a mile or so from Lake Pontchartrain. But if you don't like fishing, boating, or leaving the park by car to explore the surrounding communities, the park hasn't got much to offer. The park is barely bigger than the campsites; the only hiking is a boardwalk through the swamp that's less than a half-mile long. On the other hand, being close to town and close to the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, Fairview-Riverside is convenient for visitors who want to come into New Orleans.

Bayou Segnette State Park is pretty decent, too. I've never stayed there, but have visited fellow Airstreamers who did. Some floodwall construction still going on in the area, but it's not too disruptive to camping; at worst you'll have to drive past construction equipment somewhere between the main gate and your campsite.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The French Quarter RV Park is a beautiful and expensive RV park. It is walled, gated and very secure, but you want that near the Quarter. You really wouldn't want to be in anything else.

It is also very, very nice inside, paved, landscaped, a pool, laundry, etc.

What this place offers is a secure place to stay at the edge of the French Quarter. You can walk anywhere in the Quarter you want to from there, which can be very beneficial depending on what you want to do.

If one wants to participate in the nightlife, imbibe a bit, etc., this place can be walked back to or is a quick cab ride.

If you are a day-tripper, like we are, Bayou Segnette is perfect. A great state park and a 10-15 minute drive from the free Algiers Ferry which takes you across the river to the Quarter. Do what you like and go back when you are ready. There is a small parking lot at the ferry, someone is always there, and it is $5 on weekdays, $10 on Sat & Sun. We have parked there many times, never had any problems.

Maggie

Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
The French Quarter RV Park is a beautiful and expensive RV park. It is walled, gated and very secure, but you want that near the Quarter. You really wouldn't want to be in anything else.
I stand corrected. The impression I get from driving by (from I-10 you can look right down into it) is more utilitarian and crowded than you describe (though beautifully paved), but I've never stayed there.

Quote:
If you are a day-tripper, like we are, Bayou Segnette is perfect. A great state park and a 10-15 minute drive from the free Algiers Ferry which takes you across the river to the Quarter.
Ferry status and schedules can be found at: La DOTD - Ferry Status
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
FQRV Park does not have spacious sites, but they are certainly adequate.

More a parking lot than a beautiful, rural state park or camground, etc., is, but it has its purposes.

Last I knew, they were also Passport America, where you can get your first night half-price. They also sometimes have specials off-season/event---buy two nights, get the third night free. Love those.

We have stayed there 4-5 times, with specials/discounts, and love being able to take our little dog and walk the Quarter.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Thank you all!!! Great info and updates!

First, I don't think we have refined our thinking yet as to where in the state we want to be, but I don't think we are lured to be near the quarter; think our tastes for this trip may be more rural. I will review some of these suggestions later when I have more time, but thanks!!!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Brad....if you are looking for rural then you should consider Lake Claiborne SP out of Homer (NW part of the state) and North Toledo Bend SP out of Zwolle (mid-West side near Texas). These are two excellent parks if you are looking for a quiet setting and large secluded campsites. I cannot recall how well the cell phone signal is. We tend to turn ours off. Claiborne is off I-20, has a nice lake and new bath houses with laundry. It is very heavy woods and hilly. North Toledo Bend is more flat, right on the lake and also very heavy woods. I think fishing is great at both but it has been a number of years since we have done any fishing. South Toledo Bend SP is one of the newest but we have found the campsites to be too close to each other and not large enough to provide much privacy. But it also has a lot to offer. The thing about Louisiana campgrounds is you can find each one can be a bit different and offer you the enjoyment of what that part of the state has to offer. We just choose the quiet secluded areas. We get enough of the other on a day to day activity. Wish you well in your hunt............steve
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
I hope to eventually visit all of the Louisiana State Parks. I managed to visit three in 2012, so I'm off to a good start.

Your information about North Toledo Bend, South Toledo Bend, and Lake claiborne is most appreciated. I may hit one of the Toledo Bend parks for Mardi Gras, if they're not already booked up.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Tasty

Boudreau & Thibodeau's in Houma

Boudreau & Thibodeau's Cajun Cookin Seafood Restaurant

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
If you're going to be near NOLA, I recommend Bayou Segnette State Park. As a previous poster said, it's only about 20 minutes from The French Quarter. We've been there twice, and love it. They offer water an electric, WiFi, free use of the laundry, all for $18 per night. At least that was the price a year ago when we were there on New Years Eve. The Verizon (3G aircard and phone) service was excellent also. The WiFi was a bit slow at peak times.

While we were there, we explored the small towns, parks, and wildlife areas just south of NOLA. It was a good location for us.
I'll second this recommendation. We stayed at Bayou last October and it was great. It's on the south side of the river, so getting into the heart of NOLA requires some travel, but for someone that likes a peaceful out-of-the-rush place, Bayou was a great fit.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Add us to the Lincoln Parish Park fan club. There is a great trail system and the RV sites overlook a great little lake. sunsets are dynamite. Staff is very friendly. The only downside is that there really isn't much to do in Ruston.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
Add us to the Lincoln Parish Park fan club. There is a great trail system and the RV sites overlook a great little lake. sunsets are dynamite. Staff is very friendly. The only downside is that there really isn't much to do in Ruston.
That's one of the main reasons we have the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally there, it's kind of in an orphaned part of the state. Ruston's growing.....slowly.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
The calendar of events for Ruston is awfully sparse for a college town. Sporting events for Grambling and for Louisiana Tech, mostly.

Still, if the campground offers enough things to do to be a destination in itself, and not just a place to park your trailer while exploring the surrounding area, that's all right in my book. Someplace to launch my inflatable kayak, someplace to hike, I can keep myself amused pretty well.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We were there for the Gator Xterra (mountain bike triathlon) in early May and would go again in a minute if our schedule permits. The mountain bike trails are awesome and the camping area is peaceful. "Hidden Gem" is an accurate description.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We live here in town and regularly go there for the weekend just to get our "fix" when we need to camp. It's our recharging station.
We are always spreading the word about our little oasis. Don't hesitate to shoot me a message next time you're in town, if nothing else maybe I can drive out there and say hi!