Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great campgrounds for the price here and abroad

Greetings- Campgrounds in Fort Myers, FL and New Zealand

This thread is to identify some great campgrounds that are a bargain. My first foray into camping was actually out of the U.S. a few years back - New Zealand. They have fantastic campgrounds called Holiday Parks (Top 10) that most offer amenities galore- pools, hot tubs, trampolines, work out, full kitchens, theaters, etc. amazing. I spent the summer in various parks and paid $12-19.00 U.S dollars a night. They have gone up to around $10 more now but I am confident they rival our best parks. Beautiful country.

In Fort Myers, FL, my hometown, I can recommend Koreshan State Park. It is inexpensive and has lots to see- museum, historic buildings, canoes, etc. - all for a decent price. One of our "fancy" places is Woodsmoke with its pine woodlands and pool. It is about 4X the cost of Koreshan but with a pool and parking pads.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
New Zealand

We traveled around New Zealand for three month a year ago, Nov -Feb, and used Top Ten Holiday parks for about 75 % of our stays. Although we stayed in the Motel and cabin units, fully self contained and located in holiday locations, beaches, mountains, lake etc.. The do range from 80 dollars to 150 dollars a night. More expensive in December and January, remember December is their July here. The holiday parks have accomadations from tent sites, to RVsites, to dormitories and flats with just a bed, to full units with kitchens and ensuites.
The way we travel NZ is to fly in, rent a car or SUV, and travel with no reservations and staying where we like. After two trips there, one for six weeks, and the last for three months, it is the way to go. Remember, the roads there are like driving the Beartooth Highway all day. (That is a winding road up and over the mountains going into Yellowstone Park) So I don't want to drive one of the rental RV'S they are famous for. Plus there is no "free camping" in NZ.
We will probably winter there next year again.

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey Greg , yes the motel part is more expensive. My cousin who went with me stayed in a few of them not liking the camping thing. If I went again for that long I would still want to camp. I do see (just now looking) how the prices have gone up. I rented a diesel motorhome from Britz for $650 a week and the campgrounds, for me, we're cheap. Looking tonight they are about $10 more give or take from when I was there but still very reasonable. Yes I know all to well about the roads. I ventured all the way north on the outhouse island's west coast in a camper climbing a mountain on a single lane rod with mirrors sticking out of the rocks and met oncoming traffic too!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Lol this darn phone corrective typing! I did not mean outhouse island but South Island west coast