Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Grand Canyon Trip

Planing our first trip to the Grand Canyon and surrounding are. Could use some advise and heads up.
Thanx
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
The Grand Circle Road Trip - Road Trip Planning for Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and more! | US-Parks.com :: Get Outdoors
http://grandcircle.org
We deleted the the Vegas leg and the south rim but went to the North Rim and opted to include Cedar Breaks National Monument. We did it in 2012. Nicknamed it 'Red Ditch Tour 2012, A study In Erosion'. Did it clock-wise and after going to Canyonlands, Arches And Cap Reef, we cut east thru Moab and onto the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado. Then on into to cooler weather in Gunnison and Crested Butte.
Nice trip.
Road Jager
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
grand canyon trip

be aware that temps in the 30's are common at nite at that elevation all thru june and the beginning of july. joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We were there the beginning of May boondocking on FR 302 which is the last traffic circle in Tusayan before the gate. Just loved it. Never camped in the Park but were so close and not far off paved road. Read my post on 4/30. We loved our boondocking! Have fun. Lots of sites on FR 302.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We were there the beginning of May boondocking on FR 302 which is the last traffic circle in Tusayan before the gate. Just loved it. Never camped in the Park but were so close and not far off paved road. Read my post on 4/30. We loved our boondocking! Have fun. Lots of sites on FR 302.
Thanx for the tips. We are looking forward to this trip
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'm still working on restoring my Airstream, so I van camped in Mather Campground for two nights a couple weeks ago. The Trailer Village has hookups, but Mather does not. Mather is nice, with wooded sites, but only some are suited for longer trailers. I wasn't looking up as I was walking to the restroom early one morning, and walked to within about 20 feet of a big male elk that was standing in the road of the campground loop before noticing. Oops. When I returned from the restroom, I found a small group of elk grazing about 100 yards from my site. As I stood watching, they trotted closer, passing through the next site about 20 yards from me.

The South Rim has a single shower complex, located near Mather. It is known as Camper Services, and also features a coin-operated ice machine and laundry facilities inside, as well as places to plug in and recharge devices in the back. and It is open from 6AM to 11PM, though showers close 11AM - Noon and 3PM to 4PM. Showers are coin operated, costing $2 for 8 minutes. They will also loan/rent towels and sell soap, shampoo, laundry supplies, etc.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote