Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I was told by a friend to stay away from the South Rim because they pack you in like sardines. Any advise? I really want to see the South Rim!!

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have never been to the south rim but it might be worth seeing if you have the time. The north rim campground was nicely wooded and reminded me of the Eastern Washington pine forests we camp in.

I was a bit disappointed by the view from the north rim. It felt like we were looking at the canyon from a distance. The Grand Canyon was over "there" and we couldn't really look down into it but rather across the distances. It was still spectacular but I think the view from the south might be a little more impressive.

Since we were coming in from the north, the north rim made the most sense. If we had more time I would have driven around and then back to the south rim for a night or two. By looking at Google maps and seeing the south rim from afar I would think that the camping is best on the north side. The "sights" though might be better on the south but then, I have never been there so what do I really know?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Not Sure Where Your Friend Stayed,...

... but I suspect it may have been at one of the commercial RV parks just outside the National Park.
Our site at the RV Park inside the National Park on the South Rim was a typical layout, with full hookups. That means you may share an AC power pedestal and a water spigot with your neighbor. But we had the place all to ourselves in May.
Ask Deauxrite and check his ongoing thread. He is spending the winter in the NPS RV Park on the South Rim.
P.S. Aftermath is correct, the views are more awe inspiring from the South Rim, but the camping (and hiking) is better on the North (without hookups). Take your pick.
P.P.S. You can always camp on the North Rim, hike to the South Rim for the views, and then return to the North Rim for tea-time.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Last month we stayed in the RV park within the GC National Park, right next to the NPS campground. The RV park was OK at best and the sites are very close to one anther - they maximized the available real estate for sure. We found the south rim of the Grand Canyon to be too commercial - it seemed like we were in the middle of a city, which I guess we were. Like the North Rim better. The Grand Canyon was part of a general southwest tour that included a number of lesser known jewels, such as Kodakchrome Basin SP near Bryce in Utah. That's one I would highly recommend.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Concur With JDS

South Rim is congested with sightseers and all the commercial ventures they sustain. But it does offer the classic views associated with Grand Canyon.
That said, we look forward to another trip to the North Rim with scenic, overnight stops along the way to and from.
We do not feel drawn back to the South Rim. Perhaps this is what Travel Bird's friend was talking about.
Would like to hear more about Kodachrome Basin SP.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
South Rim is congested with sightseers and all the commercial ventures they sustain. But it does offer the classic views associated with Grand Canyon.
That said, we look forward to another trip to the North Rim with scenic, overnight stops along the way to and from.
We do not feel drawn back to the South Rim. Perhaps this is what Travel Bird's friend was talking about.
Would like to hear more about Kodachrome Basin SP.
Hi Alumaholic,

Kodachrome is at the end of a road off of route 12, not far from Bryce, and is wonderfully remote. It has a small number of RV sites (pull thru) and is in the middle of a very scenic area with lots of unusual formations. Lots of good hikes. Nearby is a great arch (can't remember the name but it's about 10-15 miles away). Very relaxing, due to its "remoteness", and very scenic. I would recommend it highly.
Kodachrome Basin State Park | Utah State Parks

John S.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know about a campground on the North Rim—we were there long before we had a trailer—but we liked the North Rim because it is relatively quiet. Check carefully when campsites open because the North Rim is closed in the winter and being about 1,000' higher than the South Rim, has much more severe winter weather.

The lodge at the North Rim has good food and if you get a seat alongside the window, spectacular views. At the South Rim there are many more historic things to see, but it is crowded and most of the summer season you have to take busses. If there, check out El Tovar, a historic hotel on the rim.

Gene
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I don't mind the crowds at the south rim. If you can walk, you're about five minutes away from no crowds at all.

Lynn
Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Do you all think three nights in the South Rim is to much or just about right? We wouldn't arrive until late in the afternoon of our arrival date so that would give us two full days in the park. Thanks for all your responses! BTW, I am planning on three nights each in North Rim, Zion and Bryce also! Might have to do only two nights at one of these locations but, not sure which should be shortened??
Air #62992
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Three nights is always the right answer, two is the minimum acceptable, one indicates too much time spent driving to and from destinations usually caused by a too ambitious schedule. Trips with a series of one night stops are rarely as enjoyable for us as trips where we allocate three nights to each destination.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Three nights gives you one full day for exploring and doing stuff and one full day for relaxing and absorbing the feel of the place. Mix and match as you like. Two is the minimum for seeing anything of a place. One nights stops are exhausting.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Travel Bird, a lot depends upon what you like to do when you visit a park. If you are not very mobile and won't be doing much walking, then you can "do" a park in less time than if you plan to get out and see things on foot, or by bicycle, &c. Most of the parks also have ranger-guided hikes, films about the parks, evening campground programs, &c. If you don't plan to walk down into the formations in Bryce or up into them at Zion, and stick to the scenic drive, you could probably shorten one of these visits.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Travel Bird, a lot depends upon what you like to do when you visit a park. If you are not very mobile and won't be doing much walking, then you can "do" a park in less time than if you plan to get out and see things on foot, or by bicycle, &c. Most of the parks also have ranger-guided hikes, films about the parks, evening campground programs, &c. If you don't plan to walk down into the formations in Bryce or up into them at Zion, and stick to the scenic drive, you could probably shorten one of these visits.
Hi, we are avid hikers and I am a wildlife photographer. We are booked three nights in each location. I feel once I have been to the south rim, I will not need to return. I know we will return to Bryce and Zion and they are not to far from Denver! Thank you all so very much for your responses. Helped me tremendously!! Happy Glamping!!
Air #62992
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Have a wonderful trip! God willing, we'll spend a few days in Zion NP in March. We've been there many times, and always enjoy our repeat visits.