Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know about a campground on the North Rim—we were there long before we had a trailer—but we liked the North Rim because it is relatively quiet. Check carefully when campsites open because the North Rim is closed in the winter and being about 1,000' higher than the South Rim, has much more severe winter weather.

The lodge at the North Rim has good food and if you get a seat alongside the window, spectacular views. At the South Rim there are many more historic things to see, but it is crowded and most of the summer season you have to take busses. If there, check out El Tovar, a historic hotel on the rim.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I don't mind the crowds at the south rim. If you can walk, you're about five minutes away from no crowds at all.

Lynn
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Do you all think three nights in the South Rim is to much or just about right? We wouldn't arrive until late in the afternoon of our arrival date so that would give us two full days in the park. Thanks for all your responses! BTW, I am planning on three nights each in North Rim, Zion and Bryce also! Might have to do only two nights at one of these locations but, not sure which should be shortened??
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Three nights is always the right answer, two is the minimum acceptable, one indicates too much time spent driving to and from destinations usually caused by a too ambitious schedule. Trips with a series of one night stops are rarely as enjoyable for us as trips where we allocate three nights to each destination.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Three nights gives you one full day for exploring and doing stuff and one full day for relaxing and absorbing the feel of the place. Mix and match as you like. Two is the minimum for seeing anything of a place. One nights stops are exhausting.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Travel Bird, a lot depends upon what you like to do when you visit a park. If you are not very mobile and won't be doing much walking, then you can "do" a park in less time than if you plan to get out and see things on foot, or by bicycle, &c. Most of the parks also have ranger-guided hikes, films about the parks, evening campground programs, &c. If you don't plan to walk down into the formations in Bryce or up into them at Zion, and stick to the scenic drive, you could probably shorten one of these visits.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Travel Bird, a lot depends upon what you like to do when you visit a park. If you are not very mobile and won't be doing much walking, then you can "do" a park in less time than if you plan to get out and see things on foot, or by bicycle, &c. Most of the parks also have ranger-guided hikes, films about the parks, evening campground programs, &c. If you don't plan to walk down into the formations in Bryce or up into them at Zion, and stick to the scenic drive, you could probably shorten one of these visits.
Hi, we are avid hikers and I am a wildlife photographer. We are booked three nights in each location. I feel once I have been to the south rim, I will not need to return. I know we will return to Bryce and Zion and they are not to far from Denver! Thank you all so very much for your responses. Helped me tremendously!! Happy Glamping!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Have a wonderful trip! God willing, we'll spend a few days in Zion NP in March. We've been there many times, and always enjoy our repeat visits.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Of the 3 parks, I think Bryce has the least to see. A day wandering around the hoodoos is about it.

Gene
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Concur With CrawfordGene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Of the 3 parks, I think Bryce has the least to see. A day wandering around the hoodoos is about it.
Gene
If there is any good candidate for a drive-by shooting on your list, it's Bryce.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #31
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Ah, to each his own....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
If there is any good candidate for a drive-by shooting on your list, it's Bryce.
Tastes certainly differ - Bryce remains one of our all time favorites. We find it spectacular and unique. Horses for courses, as they say!

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tastes certainly differ John. And I'm sure Bryce has other things besides the hoodoos, but would you agree Zion and GC have many more points of interest?

For what it is worth dep't: Bryce Canyon is not a canyon.

Gene
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
A lot of tourists think that Bryce is the most beautiful of the three, though it is the smallest. For people who don't like steep ups and downs, there is a sort-of-flat rim trail that goes on for miles. Very popular with cross-country skiers. The Park Service also rents snow shoes in the winter season. In summer a guided horseback trip into the formations is a memorable experience.

For hikers, there are a lot of trails of all levels at Zion. Some of them are only for people who are utterly unafraid of falling off of steep cliff faces, like the Angel's Landing trail. Len did it at age 70, however, and is planning to repeat it at age 75. I'm too chicken, but the trail to Scout's Lookout, part way there, is within my comfort zone. One of the easier trails north of the campgrounds in the river basin is even open for dog-walking. For our honeymoon, when we were younger and spryer, we arranged for a shuttle to take us to the north park of the park where there is a small primitive campground. We hiked down to the valley floor on the West Rim Trail, through some spectacular and empty country. Dunno if I could do it now, though.

Sigh. So much to see, so little time.

Jeanne
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

Sigh. So much to see, so little time.

Jeanne
Yup.

Gene
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Some day we want to make it to Bryce. Spent a week each at Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point, Zion, and GC-S and hiked ourselves silly. And loved all three!

Lynn
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Tastes certainly differ John. And I'm sure Bryce has other things besides the hoodoos, but would you agree Zion and GC have many more points of interest?

For what it is worth dep't: Bryce Canyon is not a canyon.

Gene
Roger on Bryce not being a canyon - always wondered about that name. I agree that Zion & GC are loaded with points of interest but there's just something about Bryce. YMMV.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Hi, we are avid hikers and I am a wildlife photographer. We are booked three nights in each location. I feel once I have been to the south rim, I will not need to return. I know we will return to Bryce and Zion and they are not to far from Denver! Thank you all so very much for your responses. Helped me tremendously!! Happy Glamping!!
Travelbird --

I've spent about 45 "inner-gorge" days within the Grand Canyon during my collegiate days in Arizona. If you are both avid hikers and photographers and find yourself staying on the south rim, and are up for a worthwhile challenge, I would suggest you consider an early morning hike over on the Grandview or Tanner trails. Both require a backcountry permit (or at least did fifteen years ago) if you intend to stay overnight, but nothing ought to keep you from day hiking halfway in and back out.

The trailheads are over at Grandview point and near Lipan Point respectively and the upper portion of Tanner is the original Indian trail paths to the Colorado River and near the spot where the Spanish first stumbled across the canyon; having followed these trails from the south.

No water but what you pack in with you; both trails are unmaintained - and both are VERY steep at the first mile or so in - I nearly lost my footing in a flash snow storm one April would have sent me over the edge. Once both trails level out about halfway into the Canyon; especially Grandview - the scenery in all cardinal directions is worth the effort.

Enjoy the trip! I can't wait to return myself some day.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote