Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Grand Canyon RV park recommendations

Off to the Grand Canyon south rim in October and need suggestions on Rv parks. Looks like the "Trailer Park" is about as good as it gets. The Railroad RV Park in Williams looks good but is it too far from the park? Any info will help! Would prefer Electricity and Water hook ups. Thanks

Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hello Chasmorgan,

We stayed at the GrandCanyon railroad rv park and took the train ride out of Williams to the rim. The park is very clean with lots of amenities. Williams reminds me of Radiator springs from the movie "Cars". It was fun little town with the route 66 feeling. We spent three days there and will probably go back someday. They even had a kennel there for our lab so she stayed busy while we were off to the GrandCanyon. Hope you have fun.. The GrandCanyon is a great place to visit and October will be a nice time of year to be there.

2014 Intl 23' FB
1959 Tradewind 24'
2011 Dodge Dually Crew
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Power to the People !
1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
We stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff, and took the train in from Williams to the park. The KOA was nice. We stayed here because it was a nicer campground and area than the Williams KOA or other RV parks in Williams. The campground has walking trails accessible from the back of the park, and is set amongst the trees. The people were very friendly. We were in the second to the last row in back with full hook-ups. If you are going to get "full" hookups I'd suggest the last row(more room, privacy), otherwise there are sites near the front of the park with W/E only. They do have a dump station on site too at the entrance driveway. Here's a couple pics & link to the KOA. Have a great time!

Flagstaff Arizona Camping Vacation, Flagstaff Campground in Arizona - KOA in Flagstaff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLAGSTAFF, AZ- KOA resize.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	86827   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLAGSTAFF KOA resize.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	86828  

Happy Trailering !
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs up Trailer Village in the park (South Rim)

We have stayed at Trailer Village right in the park several times. About the same price as a KOA. You can also get reservations. We made use of the shuttle buses to go everywhere and didn't spend a dime on fuel. It is also an easy walk to showers (by the tent campground) and the main South Rim store if you forgot something. If you already have a parks pass then you just breeze through the main gate.

4CU Charter Member
1981 Excella 280 Turbo Diesel Motorhome
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I'd also recommend Trailer Village right at the park. You can walk to the rim or ride the shuttle.

Do keep in mind that you can't leave your sewer hose out at Trailer Village. (The ravens have learned to peck right through them.) If you've got a vintage rig, just get one of those caps with a garden hose connector, bring a garden hose, and use it to run gray water right down the standard sewer hole.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I'd recommend the Trailer Village too. I stayed there in February '07 when I did a hike down to the Phantom Ranch. The shuttles will take you anywhere you might want to go, and it's only about a 5 minute walk to the rim trail

The morning I went down the Canyon it was -5°, and when I got back the next day the water outlet was frozen, of course. (I did't leave any hoses out) Tried pouring boiling water on the pipe for about 20 minutes without any luck, but did get to watch a few elk wandering through while I worked.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Williams is only about 50 miles from the GC... We stayed at the The Canyon Motel & RV Park in Williams once (full hookups & cable) once and took the train to the GC... and we have also stayed at Kaibab Campground on Kaibab Lake about 4 miles north of Williams on the road to the GC (dry camping). Williams is an entertaining little town, too.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We stayed at Mathers this summer. It was beautiful. Great tree coverage. No hook-ups but there was a bath house. It is in the park and very close to the village.
We rode our bikes to the village and for sight seeing. Mostly on paths to the village but had to take the road at a few points.
If you ride on the bus-only roads pay attention because some of the bus drivers do not like to share the road. We experienced several uncalled for scary passes.

We drove through the "trailer park" that was very close by just to check it out. It was awful. It looked like a lot of the workers lived there. There were unlucky vacationers mixed in. It was not well kept. Pretty trashy.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Just back from Trailer Village and it was great! Clean facilities, on the bus route and very quiet I would recommend staying at the park rather than making the drive from Flagstaff or Williams. The Park takes on a special feeling after sundown! Very little if any light pollution and lots of clear sky for star gazing. Saw trophy Mule Deer in the RV park and a very large bull elk at the El Tovar! Met a couple on the bus one night with a 2 year old staying in Flagstaff! It was 8:00 and he was dreading the drive! That my 2 cents!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
KOA Flagstaff is our favorite! We are in SE Oregon right now heading that way.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
We are last minute so in Williams we stayed at canyon rv park the lady there is very nice and not a parking lot like the larger railway operation.
In Grand Canyon we asked to say in the park but they refered us to a pakr out the gate on the right. They always have room. If you are close to the office you have wifi otherwise you do not. There is a food store and pizza place in front fo the park.
The park rangers told us about it. WE arrived from the long way in and left on the road to willimas. Going to Albur. we stayed in williams. IF you need the name let me know and i will do some searching.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
I stayed in the Trailer Village at the south rim just one month ago and greatly enjoyed it. I have been to the canyon several times over the years, but this was the first time to stay for a few days and did not have to drive back to Williams or Flagstaff. Being right there makes it easy to see the sun rise and set over the canyon, not to mention the bull elk walking around among the trailers.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
The wildlife in the campground was a surprise! I took a walk one morning and when I came back to the trailer this is what I found! A trophy in anyone's book!Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon Trip October 09 067.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	89782
Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Anyone who's in that area should find a site today; it's windy and we're going to get snow tonight.

"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote