Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Grand Canyon

Ok so my wife is applying full court pressure!! I'll elaborate. We have had a MH for years and traveled a pretty fair amount with it. The trip of a lifetime came a couple of years ago going from RI to Yellowstone and back. It was awesome. We had never been west before and we were in awe. What a country!! Sorry got a little off track while reminiscing. Anyway we took no trips this past year while privately selling our motorhome and my wife retreated into a mood I can only describe as somber. {For those of you who have ever been stripped of your ability to camp you know what I mean} Well for my wife it's 10 times worse!! I mean she lives for planning trips. You should see her, it's like watching picasso paint!! She should start a service!!
So where does the Grand Canyon figure into all of this. Well we caught Alluminitis a few months back, ordered a new AS and it's due in by month's end. I've gone crazy researching everything I can from tow vehices to hitches to everything else you can imagine and it's been a bit hectic. Thank god for this forum!! Here's the problem, I haven't even towed one time and my wife has begun a full assault on planning for a trip to the GC!!!!!! Are we{she} nuts?? And if not here's Donna's questions, how many days needed for a great trip from RI to GC? What's the best route and best campgrounds? What things should we see that we don't yet even know about? And finally if I decide to do this does anyone have the name of a good shrink?
Brian
PS My wife is absolutely the best person I've ever met, is the love of my life and she just wants to make sure we have a great time streaming. I didn't want you all to think she was a lunitic or something
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristream'n
Ok so my wife is applying full court pressure!! I'll elaborate. We have had a MH for years and traveled a pretty fair amount with it. The trip of a lifetime came a couple of years ago going from RI to Yellowstone and back. It was awesome. We had never been west before and we were in awe. What a country!! Sorry got a little off track while reminiscing. Anyway we took no trips this past year while privately selling our motorhome and my wife retreated into a mood I can only describe as somber. {For those of you who have ever been stripped of your ability to camp you know what I mean} Well for my wife it's 10 times worse!! I mean she lives for planning trips. You should see her, it's like watching picasso paint!! She should start a service!!
So where does the Grand Canyon figure into all of this. Well we caught Alluminitis a few months back, ordered a new AS and it's due in by month's end. I've gone crazy researching everything I can from tow vehices to hitches to everything else you can imagine and it's been a bit hectic. Thank god for this forum!! Here's the problem, I haven't even towed one time and my wife has begun a full assault on planning for a trip to the GC!!!!!! Are we{she} nuts?? And if not here's Donna's questions, how many days needed for a great trip from RI to GC? What's the best route and best campgrounds? What things should we see that we don't yet even know about? And finally if I decide to do this does anyone have the name of a good shrink?
Brian
PS My wife is absolutely the best person I've ever met, is the love of my life and she just wants to make sure we have a great time streaming. I didn't want you all to think she was a lunitic or something
I went to the Grand Canyon a few years back, and found a full hookup site just outside the entrance gates. It was a hu-hum park, but everything worked, and there were Elk hanging out with us, which was very cool indeed.
The Grand Canyon, of course, defies all explanation. Got to see it, can't really photograph it, i found out.
We came from CA, but did not make reservations anywhere. Just drove a while each day, and called ahead, using a Trailer life or Goodall's guide, and a map. Never did not have a place to stay at.
We chose the full hookup site due to the fact that we travelled in May, and it was still below freezing nights at the GC. There is also a no-hookup campground within the GC park. It looked neat, with some sites well spaced for privacy.
We went to Lake Powell and the Utah Canyons from there, which was a very nice trip.

I would think the best route depends n the time of year. Head south during fall and winter, and stay north in the heat of summer. GC is at elevation, so it does get snow and ice during the winter.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
OK, take a deep breath and step away from the map

Lets start with some framework issues.
1. How long can you devote to the trip?
2. How far do you like to drive in a day?
3. Are you two laners or interstate types?
4. Do you stop to see the road side historical markers, world largest ball of string, and deepest hand dug well when you see them?
5. Are you committed to one time of year over another?

I am sure there are tons of other questions, but from a trip planning perspective it is a place to start. Some general observations:

1. Plan as long of a time as possible.
2. October is a tremendous time of the year to go to this area. If you can do it during October, I recommend it
3. If you are coming this far, the big ditch is just the start of things to see. Plan on seeing Santa Fe and the area, the four corners region (monument valley, on up to Arches), several national parks in the area.... you get the picture. If you have months to spend in the area you will not run out of things to do.

So there are some things to think about. I look forward to watching this trip unfold. Many of us here love that area and will be chiming in to give more thoughts and details.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I noticed that no one asked you and you didn't provide what type of tow vehicle your using? So, What type of tow vehicle are you using?

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
OK Rodney let me give you some frame work. We have kids in school still so fall is out of the question. It will have to be in June into July. I know I'll have a little tow experience by then but it still seems daunting. With my work schedule I could probably only commit 20-30 days for the whole round trip. With time restraint the interstate is probably our best bet and 9-10 hr days driving are ok. We don't need to see every ball of twine but if something cool is close by while passing we'll stop. The destination and surrounding area are what's most important to us. I guess what we'd be looking for are things in the Canyon area that are cool and are not days and days away. I too am interested in watching this develop!
Brian
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Hey Safari Rick I'm using an 03 Avalanche 2500 8.1L with 3:73 rear end. Just bought it Friday. It's loaded, very clean and has only 53,000 miles. Been driving it around this weekend and it's like new. Will tow an 08 Safari 27FB SE and use the Equalizer hitch.
Brian
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
OK, well that is going to be plenty of time. How many days you will need for transit is an empirical question that is going to be determined by family dynamics. Taking several trips before the grand journey will help with the towing. One thing that will help is routine. Make sure everything has a place, everyone knows their jobs, and morning break down and camp setup have a flow. This will save you hours every day, I promise.

I will get out my map and ponder points of transit later (I'm a trip planning junkie too) after I eat and get back with you. Im excited for all of you. OH YEAH, how old are the ankle biters?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
There is a full hookup campground inside the park on the South Rim. The park tram is at the campground entrance.

If possible, you should try to see both north and south rim. North rim is about 1000 feet higher and all the campgrounds are no hookups. The north rim is closed during the winter and not as touristy. Not a problem with a trailer.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Another trip planning junkie! You and Donna are going to get along great!! We love your name and are going to adopt it. From here forward this will be known as the "great journey". Have a great dinner and get looking at those maps! And the kids are 16 yr old boy and 12 year old girl. Not exactly still ankle biting age but still love camping, road trips and seeing the country.
Brian & Donna
Thanks for your help so far
Old 10-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Rodney, Donna and I just took a trip through your photo file. Wow!! they're great and some look familiar like the Tetons. We noticed you're from Oklahoma. I would like to visit OK some day but we can save that conversation for another time. One trip at a time.
Boomer Sooner!!!!
Brian
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Question

History buffs?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
brian---i'm sitting at trailer village in the park {grand Canyon south rim}and have been here workamping since may 1. --we pull out nov 1 to places south and warmer for the winter but plan to return next summer--can't answer questions about route here but can fill you in on this park and Arches where we were campground host last summer ---- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Pieman, We're very envious!! You're definately living the life!!! Feel free to fill us in
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Rodney, no not big history buffs...
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Oh My

Not history buffs? Perish the thought! Desipite this quirk, I am going to suggest that you stop at the St Louis Arch, or more properly the gateway to the west. Climb the thing yes, BUT make sure and get a feel for the stepping off point it was for all points west. This will serve you well as you head west. Once west of Kansas City, I would drift down along the Santa Fe trail. There are neat things to see here and there, it gets you off the interstate, and it lines you up for Santa Fe, which you are going to want most likely. If you are going to have to drive across Kansas anyway, its a nice route.

All Joking aside, you will get alot more out of the trip and appreciate what you see more if you have some of the more major themes of history and natural science under your belt.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Rodney, I miss understood your question about history. Yes we love history in a sense of loving to visit places of history and pondering etc...Sante Fe looks and sounds great so that's definately a place of interest for us.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ristream'n
Pieman, We're very envious!! You're definately living the life!!! Feel free to fill us in
Brian---This could take volumns and much of this of course is personal opinion. I've worked in a gift shop shop here since May and have had a chance to see every imaginable vacaton style. One thing that seems comon to most is when folks come from the east they nearly all try to cram to much into what ever time the have. Having observed this all summer and having "been there done that" my first advice is regardless of where you go spend quailty time in fewer places. I see people making work out of their trips on a daily basis, tempers flaring, rushing here and there never seeing anything indepth. The average visitor spends 4hrs here !!!
There are 2 campgrounds in the park, one full hookup, one with none. Camper services have showers laundry etc all very good. There is a complete village here with general store, bank and post office etc. All the things you would need are here. I would make reservations well in advance as summers in the park are busy.
There are free shuttle buses that run day and good part of the night. You can park yor vehicle and go most anywhere free and not have to hassle with the traffic or parking.
The park service offers programs every day ,all day, on most any subject you can imagine as well as the Grand Canyon Field Institute {check the web for classes $$} which fit families as well as individuals.
If your family likes to hike come as early as you can as by mid june inner canyon temps are blazing. An over night trip to Phanton Ranch is a fun trip provided your family is fit. See the park service webb site.
While it's 10 miles as the Condor flies and within site the north rim is 200 miles by road from the south. The campground there is nice ,though small and has no hookups. They book early !!! It's quieter , cooler and higher than the south and much less crowded. Both are worth spending time at if time allows.
Obviously this is one of our favorite places on earth. We've, camped backpacked and hiked it for years as it was close enough to be a weekend destination. Now that we are retired and have even more time to spend it was the first place we looked to for a workamping location. As a side note my first visit here was with my parents in 1953 !!
I'll quit--hope I've wetted you appat. for this trip. feel free to ask for more-----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
ORD , Nebraska
Your trip west of Kansas...

Hello,
We're currently residing in Page, AZ, on the north border of Arizona. I make regular trips back to Nebraska where I'm originally from. I must recommend Highway 160 west of Walsenburg, Colorado all the way to Tuba City, Arizona. If you take this road west of Walsenburg, you'll go past the Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument (which may be flowing if the season's been wet enough), Wolf Creek Pass right before you hit Pagosa Springs, Durango, Mesa Verde Nat'l Park (a must see!), & Cortez, CO with many National Forest camping areas along the way. After you get to AZ you'll start seeing our famous red rocks, with Monument Valley just to the north. The trip to has some excellent scenery most of the way to Tuba; if you decide to take Hwy 98 North to Page, it has some pretty spectacular stuff as well (including Lake Powell). The North & South Rim of the G. Canyon are both spectacular places to visit, but I must recommend the North side; with the lesser amount of tourists, cooler climate, and ample boondocking (National Forest) sites it a winner for us.

If you're like us, the return trip is usually a little quicker (but hopefully not!) due to "road wear" on everyone, so I recommend the I-40 corridor East through New Mexico. You'll see Flagstaff, Winslow (my wife's from there, and "The Corner" burned down a few years back, but they've moved the fencing back so at least you can walk on the sidewalk), & Albuquerque. The interstates through NM are pretty good, and the altitude gain isn't too bad so it'll be smooth sailing for you. If you get a chance, drop south of I-40 and take NM State Highway to El Morro Nat'l Mon., where you'll see thousands of signatures in the rock dating back to the 1500's.

OK, I've got to stop my rambling. I could go on and on about this area. Anyhow... just be sure you have the National Park Pass ($80) to get into all of the parks, it'll pay for itself in a few visits. Our wishes to your safe trailering (AS's pull like a dream) and to your excellent adventure! Erik
welld.geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by welld.geo
I must recommend Highway 160 west of Walsenburg, Colorado all the way to Tuba City, Arizona.
Erik
SUPERB advice!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
brian,

back in '98 after i graduated architecture school in boston, my brother and i headed out on a 6 week cross country roadtrip. we had never been west before but we were campers so we planned on staying in state campgrounds and national parks the whole time (which we did except one night in vegas). we rented a chevy blazer out of boston, packed it full of camping gear and headed out (we did tent camping). i think we left new hampshire (my home state) middle to end of june.

we drove straight to chicago and picked up route 66. this is a must do! we took it all the way to california with a detour up to grand canyon. we spent about two weeks on route 66 before we got to the grand canyon. we did drive some long days, but seeing route 66 was incredible.

that's the route i'd recommend. take your time taking route 66 out than you can hit the interstates for the ride home and be home in 3 to 4 days.

let me know if you need anymore info.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote