Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's disappointing, but not a new problem - a tour of Carlsbad Caverns NP will quickly introduce you to cavern rooms where the floor of the room has been reduced to dust. Before they had trails with guard rails to "keep you safe", people walked all over the place and ruined all the delicate structures on the floor. The only formations left in those rooms are the ones too big to crush underfoot.

Here is just one example: Carlsbad Caverns NP - Casa Rocinante

The room looks pretty impressive, but study the floor a few moments. Ranger told us the smooth powdery-looking floor is 100% man-made by crushing feet of the early tourists wandering thoughtlessly throughout the cave to get closer to (and possibly climb up and/or sit on) an interesting formation.

Regarding the mountain lion in the prior photo - it's tempting to wish a busy tagger becomes an amuse bouche for one of those critters, but then rangers would just have to go out and kill the poor animal, so I'll refrain.
Thanks for this. Abuse of our natural treasures occurs on a spectrum. Boondock has focused on the extreme end where people overtly ignore the laws and choose to carve and paint with no concern for others. At the other end is the more subtle disregard of our stewardship of these natural wonders. Choosing to walk past the ropes, handle the formations and take flash photographs are all signs of disregard. Few will carve and paint but many think nothing of removing artifacts, walking where they want and taking pictures. After all, these are "our" parks and why can't we do what we want?

In the long run I believe that those that operate on the subtle end are doing more harm. It is like an army of ants, individually they can't do much but collectively, over time, they can destroy many things. The photos attached are great proof. Subtle disrespect for the law is a concern of mine. Parents are actually teaching their children that the law should be followed unless we don't consider it legitimate. Instead of trying to change the law, we choose to ignore it. These lessons are not lost on our youth. This attitude is compounding much like a simple stroll past the ropes and it does more damage than we can imagine.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My thoughts on people.....

There are 2 types of people in this world.... thinkers and non thinkers. Thinkers live thoughtful, productive lives making little negative impact on their fellow man. When they do make a mistake, they say sorry, and strive not to do it again.

The other makes lots of impact on others lives, pilfers, drains and uglies the world as much as they can. This is why we have bug spray!

Seriously, how much fun is it to spray paint, and carve ones initials on fixed objects anyway?

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
El Morro National Monument, where yesterday's graffiti is tomorrow's protected history.....
Worms.
In can.
Open.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Judge not, that ye be not judged.." Matthew 7:1

"Teach you Children well..." David Crosby (?)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Idiots! ........ Oh no, sorry, the poor dears just feel not a part of society and we need to show them more understanding!

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
They have nothing to fear, guns are banned in national parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
You are wrong. Guns are allowed.
You can carry a gun in a national park but you cannot fire your gun in a national park except in rare circumstances.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
You are wrong. Guns are allowed.
Just half wrong.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Problem solved

Hire a few mothers like the one caught on camera in Baltimore trying to train her youngster in front of God and everyone else. If that didn't get his attention, nothing will. I feel the hurt and disappointed feelings most of us have and I pray something can eventually be done. Or, better yet, bring in the cat in the photo with a few friends!!!
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Heading into my 7th year at Yellowstone. You would not believe the behavior we see. Park regulations concerning safe distances from wildlife -- apparently don't apply to "special" people. Boardwalks? Only for sissies... Collecting artifacts, skulls, minerals? "Well, the park won't miss this tiny piece".

On the bright side, pretty much everyone in the park has noticed that more and more people are " calling out" these miscreants. Seems like the vast majority of our visitors that actually cherish the place are getting pretty tired of seeing this crap and will grab photos, get verbal and get on the phone(when able) to get it straightened out.

Makes a fella proud.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I forgot,

About guns: the rules in the park are the same in the park as they are in the state the park is located in. So, for example, in Yellowstone (Wyoming), you can open or concealed carry any lawful firearm without a permit. In Everglades (Florida) you cannot open carry but can carry concealed with a permit.

Federal buildings are off limits everywhere and concessionaires must comply with state law (in YNP the concessionaires can bar firearms if they choose).

Discharging the weapon is still unlawful but, obviously, circumstances would dictate whether you would be prosecuted.

Mike
Dismissive cat
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
Hire a few mothers like the one caught on camera in Baltimore trying to train her youngster in front of God and everyone else.
THIS
x1,000

Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
On the bright side, pretty much everyone in the park has noticed that more and more people are " calling out" these miscreants. Seems like the vast majority of our visitors that actually cherish the place are getting pretty tired of seeing this crap and will grab photos, get verbal and get on the phone(when able) to get it straightened out.

Makes a fella proud.

Mike
I like to hear that. I think our society has gotten more and more to where you keep your mouth shut and stay out of other people's business, but when they're wrecking OUR stuff, it's OUR business.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Heading into my 7th year at Yellowstone. You would not believe the behavior we see. Park regulations concerning safe distances from wildlife -- apparently don't apply to "special" people. Boardwalks? Only for sissies... Collecting artifacts, skulls, minerals? "Well, the park won't miss this tiny piece".

Makes a fella proud.

Mike
7th time at YNP?
Pretty selfish, don't you think?
Shouldn't you think about other folks who haven't seen it yet?
You realize, every time a person steps foot in there, they're destroying natures delicate balance, right?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I like to hear that. I think our society has gotten more and more to where you keep your mouth shut and stay out of other people's business, but when they're wrecking OUR stuff, it's OUR business.

Exactly. Nicely said!

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Graffiti vandals creep into National Parks

Never mind
Dismissive cat
Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Sorry, bad joke
Old 04-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Sorry, bad joke
Just bad timing.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
El Morro is a bit different. The oldest there are pre-Columbian petroglyphs; the most recent that I was able to find were from the late 19th century, when surveyors made their way through the area in the larger effort to decide on a way westward for the railroad and marked their visit with their names.

By the way, the more southerly route went past El Morro through Zuni country and westward. The more northerly was chosen, however, and went along what was to become Route 66/I40. You can see and hear the railroad up there now. The southerly route was effectively abandoned as a trade route at that point. El Morro became effectively frozen in time.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Worms.
In can.
Open.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Just bad timing.
Yeah, story of my life,
and a Ford with a busted tensioner.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
If you think about it, his is similar to what ISIS is doing in the Middle East - destroying antiquities.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
While my emotions get carried away with what I would like to do to those who are malicious in their behavior, this is probably not the path to a solution. The value system they are demonstrating was formulated years before in families, or at least whatever family figure was present. It is this venue where the practice of love for our fellows and nature needs to be taught. Trying to undo the current aberrant behavior by punishment has no demonstrable effect.

Maybe we can attempt to set a positive example......

Please understand, this is my perspective only and does not suggest anyone except me needs to be following this.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote