Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's the 'Modern Hiker' article they reference... Why the Creepytings National Parks Vandalism is a Big Deal | Modern Hiker

Of course, I don't see 'funding' as the problem...

Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
El Morro National Monument, where yesterday's graffiti is tomorrow's protected history.....

Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Wow

This just further solidifies my constant saying to myself and my children:

There is no limit to stupidity.

I too will be writing my congressmen/women asking for an increase in penalties and fines for such stupid behavior. I am truly SMH (shaking my head).
And my wife & I leave for AZ & UT in just 8 days. Makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I don't see funding as a problem; just part of the solution. Do we increase prosecution and fines without changing the negative culture; or do we also include an increase in education to help introduce a love of the natural environment? I'd rather not see individuals banned or imprisoned if they can be educated and learn to love nature for what it is.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Graffiti vandals creep into National Parks

It's disappointing, but not a new problem - a tour of Carlsbad Caverns NP will quickly introduce you to cavern rooms where the floor of the room has been reduced to dust. Before they had trails with guard rails to "keep you safe", people walked all over the place and ruined all the delicate structures on the floor. The only formations left in those rooms are the ones too big to crush underfoot.

Here is just one example: http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...NP/i-mr22FMX/A

The room looks pretty impressive, but study the floor a few moments. Ranger told us the smooth powdery-looking floor is 100% man-made by crushing feet of the early tourists wandering thoughtlessly throughout the cave to get closer to (and possibly climb up and/or sit on) an interesting formation.

Regarding the mountain lion in the prior photo - it's tempting to wish a busy tagger becomes an amuse bouche for one of those critters, but then rangers would just have to go out and kill the poor animal, so I'll refrain.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
When Mount Saint Helen erupted, blowing out a section of caldera, it pulverized hundreds of square miles. Created a new canyon. Changed surface levels by 200', downed thousands of trees, left hundreds of acres stripped of topsoil... and that's not even mentioning what the ash plume did.

So, yeah. Some dust on the floor in Carlsbad from folks passing thru (not vandalism) doesn't strike me as a big deal.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's disappointing, but not a new problem - a tour of Carlsbad Caverns NP will quickly introduce you to cavern rooms where the floor of the room has been reduced to dust. Before they had trails with guard rails to "keep you safe", people walked all over the place and ruined all the delicate structures on the floor. The only formations left in those rooms are the ones too big to crush underfoot.

Here is just one example: Carlsbad Caverns NP - Casa Rocinante

The room looks pretty impressive, but study the floor a few moments. Ranger told us the smooth powdery-looking floor is 100% man-made by crushing feet of the early tourists wandering thoughtlessly throughout the cave to get closer to (and possibly climb up and/or sit on) an interesting formation.

Regarding the mountain lion in the prior photo - it's tempting to wish a busy tagger becomes an amuse bouche for one of those critters, but then rangers would just have to go out and kill the poor animal, so I'll refrain.
Thanks for this. Abuse of our natural treasures occurs on a spectrum. Boondock has focused on the extreme end where people overtly ignore the laws and choose to carve and paint with no concern for others. At the other end is the more subtle disregard of our stewardship of these natural wonders. Choosing to walk past the ropes, handle the formations and take flash photographs are all signs of disregard. Few will carve and paint but many think nothing of removing artifacts, walking where they want and taking pictures. After all, these are "our" parks and why can't we do what we want?

In the long run I believe that those that operate on the subtle end are doing more harm. It is like an army of ants, individually they can't do much but collectively, over time, they can destroy many things. The photos attached are great proof. Subtle disrespect for the law is a concern of mine. Parents are actually teaching their children that the law should be followed unless we don't consider it legitimate. Instead of trying to change the law, we choose to ignore it. These lessons are not lost on our youth. This attitude is compounding much like a simple stroll past the ropes and it does more damage than we can imagine.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My thoughts on people.....

There are 2 types of people in this world.... thinkers and non thinkers. Thinkers live thoughtful, productive lives making little negative impact on their fellow man. When they do make a mistake, they say sorry, and strive not to do it again.

The other makes lots of impact on others lives, pilfers, drains and uglies the world as much as they can. This is why we have bug spray!

Seriously, how much fun is it to spray paint, and carve ones initials on fixed objects anyway?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
El Morro National Monument, where yesterday's graffiti is tomorrow's protected history.....
Worms.
In can.
Open.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Judge not, that ye be not judged.." Matthew 7:1

"Teach you Children well..." David Crosby (?)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Idiots! ........ Oh no, sorry, the poor dears just feel not a part of society and we need to show them more understanding!

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
They have nothing to fear, guns are banned in national parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
You are wrong. Guns are allowed.
You can carry a gun in a national park but you cannot fire your gun in a national park except in rare circumstances.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
You are wrong. Guns are allowed.
Just half wrong.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Problem solved

Hire a few mothers like the one caught on camera in Baltimore trying to train her youngster in front of God and everyone else. If that didn't get his attention, nothing will. I feel the hurt and disappointed feelings most of us have and I pray something can eventually be done. Or, better yet, bring in the cat in the photo with a few friends!!!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Heading into my 7th year at Yellowstone. You would not believe the behavior we see. Park regulations concerning safe distances from wildlife -- apparently don't apply to "special" people. Boardwalks? Only for sissies... Collecting artifacts, skulls, minerals? "Well, the park won't miss this tiny piece".

On the bright side, pretty much everyone in the park has noticed that more and more people are " calling out" these miscreants. Seems like the vast majority of our visitors that actually cherish the place are getting pretty tired of seeing this crap and will grab photos, get verbal and get on the phone(when able) to get it straightened out.

Makes a fella proud.

Mike

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote