Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
GPS Routing Unit

I am thinking about upgrading my TomTom GPS unit. Our current unit is about 2 years old and bought long before the words Air & Stream entered our daily vocabulary. Although, it is still more than adequate for car trips it lacks certain capability(or ignores you when tell it to do something.. ie avoid freeways). It's only special feature is that it reads the street names off to you.

We've done a bit of research a notice that there are newer units that can route for trucks and RVs. They also will route around roads that have restrictions (flammable/hazardous materials)(height). A few will let you plan the route on your computer and down load to the GPS. One even let's you enter the length of your rig....

Suggestions? I know there are a few threads out there but with technology changing so often .....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This site GPS Discount, Inc. is your Authorized Dealer for Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan, Humminbird, Standard Horizon Ram Mounting systems and more. has what I have found to be the most complete list of specs on all GPS. Yu will see on that site that they are building a new site that naw has just Garmin GPS on it.

Since there are 1000s of different configurations and features it is not an easy discussion.

Features I would look for are the ability to route around toll roads, at least 100 way points, 1000s of points of interest and possibility low clearance bridges.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I recommend one that will let you change between "truck" and "car" and it would show you the correct lane to be in - especially on the interstates. The ones that give you an advance image of interstate road lane signs sounds best to me.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I think the new Tom Tom gives you a lot of what you are looking for. I also think I saw where it gives you online updates for life. That way you do not have the recurring yearly cost of updates. I also recommend the live traffic antenna and upgrade.

Mine is 3 years old also. I have both a Magellan and a Tom Tom. Both have good standard features but I prefer the Tom Tom. Tom Tom seems to be quicker on the road updates. I have one road in SE Okla. that the Magellan still does not know the road ends in the lake LOL. You might want to go over to a local truck stop and see what they have. They have one about 1 1/2 hour from here I have been thinking about visiting for that same reason. They serve good food also. last time I was thru there they were doing a big update to their facility.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A feature I forgot to mention that drives me crazy. My older Garmins Street Pilot tend to attempt to return you to the original route even though you might be within sight of your destination.

My Pioneer corrects the route within a 1/4 mile if you drive past a turn. A great feature if you have some idea of where you are

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Most of the newer ones have a user setting where you change how far past the turn you can go before it recalculates the route. One time I drove about 20 miles with my Magellan before it finally decided I did not want to turn around.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If tomtom can't make a route in your campground, check to see if you have selected no unpaved roads.

I find it good most of the time, but doesn't do it all. I would like to have a system like streets and trips for ease of changing route. Wish they would include info about grade and incorporate as part of selection instead of tolls, shortest and fastest route.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Check the screen size. The Garmin 7200 works for truck's and rv's. You can input length and height and it will avoid tight turns and low clearances. However, the screen size is more justified for a motorhome or semi than a suv or light truck.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. We test drove several of the Garmin's but they seemed counter intuitive to us. Maybe it's the 6 years of TomTom......So we ended up with another Tom Tom. Target had one on sale that had free maps and traffic updates. It's screen was a bit larger, easier to read, but not too large for our truck. And it had route planning and lane assist.

It also has a speed alert....which I turned on to 65mph (legal speed limit for a trailer in OKlahoma). Then we took it out for a test drive without the trailer.... Drove DH crazy since every time he went over 65 it started making noise! The kids thought it was hilarious, the GPS was telling on Daddy!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!! They were very appreciated!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
what model was it?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We ended up getting the TomTom XL 335TM -- it was nice because it has the FM receiver in the charging unit so it automatically gets the free radio-based traffic information, as well as lifetime map updates (i.e. 4 times per year) -- pretty nice deal for approximately $140. We got it on sale at Target, but here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inc...A/ref=lh_ni_t_

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote