Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
GPS -handheld vs mounted

Well, I use MS Trips and Delorme's Street Atlas & Topo 5.0 on the Dell laptop. They work great and in the truck with the GPS they are fine- but not great. The problems are: 1) laptop too big 2) too many wires and plugs for power 3) the screen has to be angled just right to see it ( she's a little princess but a good navigator).

So I'm investigating a different system like iWay 350 or 500 by Lowrance that includes it all in a 6' screen or maybe a Garmin model. They change so quickly. And is a handheld useable on the road or just for hiking?
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We use the older Garmin EMap GPS unit. Highly portable, fits in your pocket, mounts to hardware sold by Garmin that can be used in your tow vehicle, sports car, bike or boat. Supporting software is updated about every 18 months. We download the software to our PC and laptop so that we can upload and download to the GPS when we travel. When at home, we download to the PC or upload from the PC to the GPS as well. Have fun shopping around for just the right product to suit your needs.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There was a thread about this very subject maybe a month and a half ago. Lots of people with lots of options.

Personally, we use Streets and Trips as a long distance planning tool, and then a dedicated vehicle nav unit from Magellan in the truck. I would always suggest a Garmin though, and not just because I have some Garmin stock which is performing wonderfully. They just seem to have the best user interface, and believe me, I've used a lot of different units in connection with my job. The only reason I have a Magellan is that I got a ridiculously good deal on it.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm running a Garmin GPSV. I am very happy with it. There is a new version out now that I don't know the model# of. You can pre load routes and it will steer you from door to door.

The down side is the real detailed maps that give information like food and gas station info takes a lot memory that any hand held is just not going to have. So you have to reload that information from time to time. Don't get me wrong you can nightly load that information for the next day but they do load slow. The good news is you can get a data cable that will let you run both the Laptop and the hand held. So the navigator could load as you roll and both of you would have the ability to to view.

I mount mine right on the top of the dash so I can glance at it easily (non destructive mount that leaves no permanent damage. The navigation feature gives you plenty of warning with an audible beep as the clearly shows what the next turn will be and how far. The display is clear and at that mounting location takes minimal time to find the information you need.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Go with the mounted version, for two reasons:
1-It's easier to use if you don't have to fumble around looking for it.
2-It's harder to lose if it's "bolted" to something permanent.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Alpine Blackbird

I just purchased an Alpine Blackbird and am happy with it. I don't have much to compare it to, but it is very good at getting me from point 'A' to point 'B'. It has a pleasant (female) voice and reroutes quiickly when I make a mistake. My main reason for chosing this over the Garmin or the Tom Tom is how compact it is. It also has an MP3 player in it. I travel by air for business so I can listen to music with it on the plane and then use it for navigation in the rental car.... Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote