Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why bother? They are still not accurate, and they cost as much as a new GPS device!
I guess that's why GPS manufacturers started including the updates...

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've always been a keen student of navigation and held off getting a GPS for a long time. Living in the UK I never really had need of one as maps and street signs are pretty good and I was familiar with large parts of that small country. Traveling in North America brought its own challenges with detail on maps being a little sketchy sometimes and a completely different method of signing*, plus there's my complete unfamiliarity with the entire place. So I caved in and bought a Tom Tom.

I found it brilliant for navigating in towns (turn left in 100 yards - you can't get better than that), and I love all the stats it'll give you, in real time. What I don't like is viewing its map in a 500 metre window; you never see the wider view, what you're going to be doing away up the road.

So, like others, I plan using a map, then just set the GPS as a means of confirmation and a supplier of information, like distance to go etc.

I've had it try to direct me elsewhere on occasion but I'm usually sufficiently on top of it that I can decide if the directions its supplying can be safely ignored.

For what it's worth, I bought the lifetime map upgrade for the Tom Tom and it's been pretty accurate so far.

* In Canada, when you're on the highway and you get to an intersection, very often the sign will tell you the name of the road but not where that road may take you. In the UK, the intersection signs will not only tell where you'll end up if you turn off, but how far these places are. I'm still in my period of adjustment!

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
An old timey paper map gives you a better view of the whole route.
I hate that I can't see the entire map on the GPS screen.
I still have GPS devices. It is a love/hate relationship...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1997 25' Excella
Gardena , California
[QUOTE=m.hony;1483537]An old timey paper map gives you a better view of the whole route.

Just don't buy an 'old timey paper map' at Walmart on the Big Island of Hawaii and plan to drive all the way around the island. When we did it a few years ago we didn't have any idea that a lava flow took out the road a while before then.

And don't skip the GPS because you are following someone from a wedding in the country to downtown Milwaukee like I did last weekend. Silly me, I just couldn't cross three lanes of traffic at the merge of two freeways like the 'leader' did. But...the GPS got me to a gas station, and then to the hotel. I got myself to the hotel bar!
aka Gigi L'Amour
trvlbuttrfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our GPS is named "Bubbles" and with good reason. She's helpful going to a specific destination once we're close. Otherwise, not so much. Chris' smart phone, named "Emma" ( for Emma Peel who is very smart!) is much better. Still, we tend to go with maps, and use the devices only in specific situations.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Our "Galaxy Quest" moments

Several years ago, we were behind schedule due to a late campground departure earlier in the day; and we were lost in Colorado Springs. My wife was toying with a new Garmin GPS that we had bought for our Prius, and we were navigating with both the Garmin and the built-in navigation system in our Tundra.

In any case, it was dark, and it had just started snowing; so there was a little pressure to find the Costco quickly, refuel and get back on the road to Denver where we had people awaiting our arrival.

As you can probably guess, as soon as we pulled off of I-25 onto surface streets, the two GPS's started to disagree on the shortest route to the Costco (which, some time later, was further complicated by there being TWO Costcos in Colorado Springs).

The further we got from the highway, the more frantic the button pushing got on both GPS's, accompanied by conflicting directions on where and which direction to turn, and the Garmin's constant computerized comment, "RECALCULATING..." and the Tundra's instructions to "Make a legal U-turn and ...". (For those unfamiliar with these GPS's, the Garmin lets you continue on the alternate route you've initiated, and it recalculates new instructions based on your current location; while the Tundra wants you to go back where you screwed up and turned the wrong way, so it can continue on the original route that it calculated when you first entered where you thought you wanted to go.)

I'm a little hard of hearing, so I kept asking my wife "What was that?", "What did the GPS say?", What did it say to do?"; and my wife just kept faithfully repeating the Garmin and Tundra GPS's comments.

After getting thoroughly lost and close to running out of gas, and with the snow increasing in intensity with every passing minute, the frustration level was getting pretty high; and after stopping at a traffic light, with both of us just short of screaming at each other, we looked at one another, stared for a second or two, and immediately broke out laughing!

Both of us had simultaneously recalled the conference room scene from the movie "Galaxy Quest", where communications officer "Gwen DeMarco" (the equivalent of Star Trek's Lt. Uhura) realizes that her primary job is to just repeat what the computer says. "Look, I have one job on this lousy ship! It's stupid, but I'm going to do it! -- OK?!"

In any case, we now only use one GPS at a time. We use Google Earth for trip and route planning, the Garmin is for enroute instructions, and the Tundra navigation system is just for figuring out where we are when we get lost.

See "Galaxy Quest" movie clip, below:

Galaxy_Quest Excerpt - YouTube

Note: While searching YouTube, I found another clip from this movie that newbies will find amusing. After all, we were all newbies at one time; and I think each of us can recall pulling our first RV into or out of a campsite when we thought every person in the campground was scrutinizing each move we made:

Galaxy Quest - spaceship scene (hilarious awkward cringe scene) - YouTube

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote