Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Gps

We are looking at the different GPS units available for use on our Airstream adventures. We are currently looking at the Tom Tom 900 series. Does anyone on the Forums have any experience with this type?

We would also like to hear about other units that you are using, pro or con.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I have had the Tom-Tom 300 for a while nowand like it alot. Works great, just plug in the address and go.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I was looking at them also, how do they mount on the dash?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I have a Magellan RoadMate 360 that my 87 yr old mom decided was to difficult to use. It mounts to the windshield with a suction cup and flexible arm. It has a lot of useful functions such as local Points of Intrest (POI). Makes it easy to find restaurants, Wal-Mart, state parks, campgrounds, etc. You can select one of four routes: Shortest time, No toll roads, most or less use of freeways. I am still trying to understand the built in logic of the box. Freeway = divided highway...not necessarily a interstate. We constantly get voice commands to turn L/R at the next road. It works great close to the destination, but we take back roads and it can be a pain to listen to at times. It is very accurate, however. Even has a 'page' that displays your speed. Once I figure out the logic better, I may enjoy it more.
Scott
Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
I use a Dell Axim Pocket PC(X51V) with a Global-sat(BT-338) bluetooth- enabled GPS receiver.
The receiver is very sensitive and can be placed even in the glove compartment with good results.
The advantage of this setup is that you can use the PPC for many other things.As well you you are not tied to any specific GPS software- I have used TomTom, Destinator, Iguidance, and several others.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We are looking at the different GPS units available for use on our Airstream adventures.
moosetags...

long thread on the topic here...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ce-21215.html?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzelle
I use a Dell Axim Pocket PC(X51V) with a Global-sat(BT-338) bluetooth- enabled GPS receiver.
The receiver is very sensitive and can be placed even in the glove compartment with good results.
The advantage of this setup is that you can use the PPC for many other things.As well you you are not tied to any specific GPS software- I have used TomTom, Destinator, Iguidance, and several others.
I always travel with two pc's on Verizion, are you saying I can add a Global-sat blue tooth and add software?

How much does that cost?

Can you be specific on hooking this up, if that works I would a nice big screen to look it instead of the 3.5" Tom Tom for example.

I have a GPS on my boat which interfaces into a nav software that is fantastic, I haven't look into these toys for the TV yet.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
TomTom Go 910

I have the TomTom Go 910 with maps of North America and Western Europe on a harddrive (no separate memory card). I think the identical model without Europe is perhaps the 700.

I bought for European maps version for a trip to Spain, but ironically ended up not taking the TomTom feeling I was already carrying too much stuff and didn't want to risk losing or damaging this high-value item.

I like the TomTom but the manual (at least when I bought mine probably in July) was poor, and the website is poor. I ended up downloading a UK manual for the European equivalent TomTom as it was far more helpful. Besides, I like colour.

One drawback I haven't resolved (my e-mail to TomTom was ignored): If you take it to a distant location in the "off" position, as we did on a plane trip to Hawaii, it could and did take the better part of a day to reacquire the signals. Rebooting on successive days itook probably less than a minute, but the problem repeated on our return to California.

Maps? It made some errors. Commands? It once commanded we turn left in the middle of the Redwoods, but there was no road to take. Sillyness? In Hawaii I asked it to find a pizza joint by name; it took quite some time and located it near our home in California. The delay was partly because I misunderstood how to enter the search parameters, and mostly because it kept trying to find a road route from Hawaii to Sacramento.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We are looking at the different GPS units available for use on our Airstream adventures. We are currently looking at the Tom Tom 900 series. Does anyone on the Forums have any experience with this type?

We would also like to hear about other units that you are using, pro or con.
I have 2 laptops, and old and new,
I have mounted the old one in the cab of my TV and run Microsoft Streets and Trips with the USB GPS receiver.

The whole thing cost me $110.00.
I map and dream up destinations on my new laptop and save the map to a CF card and transfer it to my TV laptop. I like the large screen the laptop offers, the cost, and the price of upgrades.

I have used this system for 14 months/40,000mi and really like it. It has more than paid for itself in gas, and I like that if I want to update the "next year's software" it's only $25

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
We bought the Tom Tom 700 from Walmart. Cost about 600 bucks. It worked straight out of the box, and we have used it for about a year, travelling about 13000 miles in total with it. The built-in maps are more than a year out of date, now, and I am about ready to try to update them. The software has about 20 languages in the voice response, and the advertising claims to have routes in most countries. I don't use it, my navigator does, and she hasn't found any faults with it so far.
regards
Old 11-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
How do the units like TomTom overcome the difficulty in seeing the screen in sunlight? We've used my Garmin eTrex attached to a laptop (plasma display) and it's a real battle sometimes to be able to see the screen. Our digital camera has an LCD display and likewise it's very hard to see in sunlight as well as being highly directional.

I think part of the answer has to address the question of what constitutes your definition of an Airstream adventure. If you only want in car navigation that's one thing but do you want to use it for hiking, geocaching or other things after you get to your destination? If so then I think you should explore the options available for linking a dedicated GPS to a computer or PDA.

Do you want to be able to save routes and download later for say use with Google Earth? That's always fun to relive the adventrue and for sharing with others say via a blog. I don't know what the download or route saving features are with the units like TomTom.

I also like the ability to choose from a number of different software packages for mapping and/or navigation. If a dedicated unit ties you to proprietary updates they can get expensive or become unavaliable if the company folds up the tent or tries to force you to "upgrade" by discontinuing support.

-Bernie
Old 11-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Being an avid boater, I have several handheld GPS units. My current one is a Garmin 60csx. It's a great unit. Portable and very expandable. Something you may want to get into is geocaching. A great hobby for travelers and a good excersize program to boot. Tom Tom & Roadmates are good unit's but they are tied to your vehicle making them single function. If road navigation is your only concern, either one is good. I had a Magellan roadmate but returned it because the only source of power was external (i.e. cigarette lighter).

Hope this helps,
Baron
Old 11-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
"How do the units like TomTom overcome the difficulty in seeing the screen in sunlight?"
I haven't heard any complaints from the other seat about not seeing the screen in sunlight. Maybe because the windshield is tinted? The TT 700 has a setting for night, which is a great help; otherwise the display is pretty bright and is a distraction for the driver. The GPS satellite acquisition antenna is in the unit, thus there is no external antenna required for operation, but it needs to be able to "see" out of the vehicle.
In any case, before buying a GPS, I would recommend that if possible, a test drive should be made to see if any of the available units meet your requirements. "one size don't fit all"
regards
Old 11-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I always travel with two pc's on Verizion, are you saying I can add a Global-sat blue tooth and add software?

How much does that cost?

Can you be specific on hooking this up, if that works I would a nice big screen to look it instead of the 3.5" Tom Tom for example.

I have a GPS on my boat which interfaces into a nav software that is fantastic, I haven't look into these toys for the TV yet.
Yes, if your pc does not have bluetooth, just get a USB-to_Bluetooth adapter,install the software that comes with the adapter and away you go.

Bluetooth adapter $20, GPS receiver $100, GPS software $100-$150.

The GPS receiver connects wirelessly so you can place it anywhere that's convenient and reception is good. It's battery operated(rechargeable).

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote