Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Govt. Shut Down

Interesting! My STATE PARK here in Texas asked me to pack it. Closing by order of the FEDS. STATE PARK is on a US Corps of Engineer lake. They apparently trump the State. What a crock! Don't get caught short with your camping plans this week...or month.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Bummer. Recreation.gov is also shut down, so no reservations in national forest campgrounds are possible. It's unclear if campgrounds themselves are acutally shut down ... that may depend on whether they require reservations or if they are staffed ... We don't have any immediate plans to camp in a NF campground soon, but we have friends who are.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.
YES, but closing these things is a way to get their political message to you in a way that they hope irritates you more than the larger issue, thus they win support.
BE SMART, think big.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Let's keep it to information regarding camp closures, and avoid sliding into another political discussion, OK?

We all know what happens to political threads...
Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We are sitting in the north rim (Grand Canyon) campground right now, got lucky because we came in yesterday, just under the wire. Everyone has to leave by Thursday morning regardless of your plans, and no one can get in to the park.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
In Oklahoma it is opening day if deer season. My hubby and friends are relocating to boon dock after being told to leave corp camping by 8. And since they have not seen the ranger betting there won't be a refund.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdcraw View Post
In Oklahoma it is opening day if deer season. My hubby and friends are relocating to boon dock after being told to leave corp camping by 8. And since they have not seen the ranger betting there won't be a refund.
Well, if there's no one to give a refund, there shouldn't be anyone to check and see if they left

Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Anyone know if it's still OK to boondock on National Forest and BLM land, assuming the access roads aren't closed?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Around here they close the offices, not the woods or open lands. I have no problem using the land for boondocking because it does, in fact, belong to all of us. It is mainly on the facilitities and developed areas they are enacting closures.

Hope this is not too political................
Sam
Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Are bolt cutters political?

Poppy
Old 10-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Gulf Islands National Park in Ocean Springs,MS has locked the gates and current campers have 48 hours from this morning to pack up and pull out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post

Poppy
No more than jail is. The Federal Government may be shutting down, but local law enforcement can still arrest you for trespassing on Federal property (as well as vandalism for the lock you cut). Federal agencies that provide recreational areas have always relied on local law enforcement to arrest troublemakers, even when they were open.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try being furloughed and told to use your vacation till it is gone. It won't matter soon that some of the parks are closed because I won't have vacation to use them.

Perry
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Try being furloughed and told to use your vacation till it is gone. It won't matter soon that some of the parks are closed because I won't have vacation to use them.
As a Federal Government employee myself, I feel your pain. In spades! If you're even allowed to use your leave, count your blessings. Many federal employees were told they can't use leave. And they can't go get another job to help pay the bills if the other job was during their regular work day because even if they're not being paid and not going to the office, they're still officially "on the clock."

Thing is, I'm eligible to retire, but I can't just say, "to heck with this" and retire, because the folks that would process my retirement paperwork are furloughed, too!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would rather take LWOP than loose all my leave. I am a contractor for NASA.

Perry
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post

Poppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No more than jail is. The Federal Government may be shutting down, but local law enforcement can still arrest you for trespassing on Federal property (as well as vandalism for the lock you cut). Federal agencies that provide recreational areas have always relied on local law enforcement to arrest troublemakers, even when they were open.
WWII veterans storm D.C. memorial closed by government shutdown - News - Stripes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
As one of the lucky furloughed federal employees, I'm using the time to polish the Airstream. I was going to wait until Spring, but making lemonade out of lemons, I made good progress today. The way things are looking right now, I might have time to finish.

As far as boondocking on BLM and FS land, there should be no impact. But keep in mind, that at least in Wyoming just about the only BLM personnel that weren't furloughed were the law enforcement folks. So they'll still be out there.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Ah... Making lemonade too! My daughter (works for the U.S Fish & Wildlife Service) has some extra time on her hands starting today, she doesn't know it yet but I'm going to turn her into my new bucking buddy
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will be making some improvements to the Airstream on my time off as well. I have just about gotten all the outside and structural stuff done.

I need to work on the inside some more eventhough I am poor. I am going to paint the bathroom sink I think and I bet it will stink.

I also need to cover the valences in the living area. I must decide on a color though. The wife will be involved in that. All things must pass WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Perry

No I have not had any beer yet.
Closed Thread