Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
FUBAR and SNAFU
In this case, I think BOHICA is probably appropriate.

Don't know about National Parks, but here's what Corps of Engineers has to say about their campgrounds:
Quote:
Campers who are on site prior to the shutdown going into effect will be required to vacate campgrounds not later than 8 p.m. the following day. These campers may elect to leave their campsite reservations open for possible use after the shutdown is lifted. Campers will receive a refund for any unused portion of their reservations.
Customers scheduled to arrive while the potential shutdown is in effect may cancel their reservations for a full refund. These customers may also elect to leave reservations open for possible use after the shutdown is lifted and request a refund for any unused portion of their reservation due to the shutdown. To request a refund please contact the reservation customer service at 1-888-448-1474 (TDD 1-877-833-6777). The reservation service will automatically cancel reservations after a customer’s scheduled departure date during the shutdown period if the park is closed and the customer chooses to do nothing.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
This may have been stated before, but I have been coming across little gems in county parks. Many of the are not on the big camping web sites, and you have to search for them by county. Look around and keep counting!
You can find these on the CampWhere app, which has all public campsites.

We love it.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

We love it.

Maggie
Is this a I phone app?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #64
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Apparently Campwhere is only available for Apple devices, not for Android. I get by just fine with Allstays on my droid tablet.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #65
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
It strikes me as odd that when open how often do you see law enforcement on these public sites ?? But now that they are closed they are present and visable to keep US out.
For example: The WW2 memorial. Been there several times and never saw any Rangers but they are front and center to keep the WW2 VETERANS out. I presume the same situation exists at the nearby Vietnam memorial. I'm not there but if I was I would have been arrested.

Thanks, my RANT is over. If I was there I, of course, would have gotten there with my Airstream in tow.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Please try hard to keep off the political drumbeat. We've deleted several posts, and we're watching. However, it's hard to keep track of everything (and live a reasonably normal life while polishing an Airstream), so we rely on you to practice some restraint, too.

Lynn
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
According to Facebook...Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest is open on a day to day basis. (The campground is run by subcontractors)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Is this a I phone app?
We have it on our IPad, also the same site for public campgrounds is available for free at ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

AllStays includes all or most of these, as well.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Well, now the USFS sites subcontracted to private management companies are being shut down. Here is the latest on those run by Parks Management Company...

To all our campers: We are sorry to inform you, that if the government shut down is not resolved the following campgrounds and day use facilities will be closed this Friday, October 4th at 1pm. Kirk Creek, Plaskett Creek, Ponderosa, Nacimiento, Bottchers Gap, Sand dollar Beach, Pfeiffer Beach. Any questions please email gina@campone.com. Lets hope the government can straighten this out quickly.nnWe will keep you posted on any news. Please feel free to email me gina@campone.com with any questions. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Come north. The weather's still fine for early fall.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Another Insult

The following upsets me greatly.

My good friend, Col. Jack (Black Jack) Matthews, is a highly respected retired Marine combat officer. He left a lot in Nam, including his right leg. In addition to his prowess as a warrior he is a Notre Dame graduate and has a PhD in history. He deals with a lot of pain these days and has one big passion - he conducts a trip annually that tours Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields.

Jack prepares for these trips all year and is well known for providing informed passionate lectures at each of the stops. His wife Marie spends several months putting together the itinerary and organizing the logistics.

The group flew to the East Coast on Monday to begin the trip. Only to find that most of the sites that they are scheduled to visit are CLOSED. They're closed to a war hero trying to deliver on his true passion. Jack deals with a lot and he LIVES for these trips.

I'm sick and tired of this. It really fires up my sense of justice when selfishness causes bad things to happen to good people.

Poppy
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
PharmaGeek ...is your buddy on Alan's Grand Canyon trip? My son and fifteen others on Alan's crew are camped at the entrance to the road to the put in point...hoping and praying that something happens that will let them start their rafting expedition. They have been planning their 21 day trip for almost two years. They drove up to the turn to the put- in just as the gates were closing on Tuesday. They were supposed to camp on the banks of the river that night and begin their trip through the canyon the next morning. They saw the last of the boats scheduled to leave that day take off. Those lucky folks will get to finish their trip. But my son and his friends are just waiting ...probably in vain. With them is a man with terminal MS who was counting on this as his last gasp at the outdoor sports he loves, several young people who have scrimped and saved for years to afford this, folks who have jeopardized jobs etc. i know it doesn't compare to the fear of moms who will soon lose the help they receive in feeding their kids, but it is a heartbreaker for those involved. Attached are pictures of their camp, where they remain still hoping for a miracle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4018706747.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	196991   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4275264344.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	608.1 KB
ID:	196992  

Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Funny the sun still doing it's own thing . You know going up and down with no fed help or telling it what to do . DON'T TREAD ON ME

But am going to be camping or something like at the Red Shale National Park . . . bolt cutters and the deed .
Ice Berg
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Breaking into federal property, shut down or not, is a federal crime—the Constitution (Art. III) authorizes Congress to create courts which may hear federal criminal cases. Planning to use boltcutters shows intent to commit the crime and taking action will make an open and shut case.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #75

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

We understand that topic drift occurs and we make every effort to let threads flow along with member dialog and interests. Today we removed material that delves into politics with no apparent association to RV'ing and included several rants directed at one or more members.

The fact that this is still an on going issue after several recent requests by the site team to keep things reasonably on topic is troubling. This thread is now closed.

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread