Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Try being furloughed and told to use your vacation till it is gone. It won't matter soon that some of the parks are closed because I won't have vacation to use them.
As a Federal Government employee myself, I feel your pain. In spades! If you're even allowed to use your leave, count your blessings. Many federal employees were told they can't use leave. And they can't go get another job to help pay the bills if the other job was during their regular work day because even if they're not being paid and not going to the office, they're still officially "on the clock."

Thing is, I'm eligible to retire, but I can't just say, "to heck with this" and retire, because the folks that would process my retirement paperwork are furloughed, too!

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would rather take LWOP than loose all my leave. I am a contractor for NASA.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
. , .
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Are bolt cutters political?

Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No more than jail is. The Federal Government may be shutting down, but local law enforcement can still arrest you for trespassing on Federal property (as well as vandalism for the lock you cut). Federal agencies that provide recreational areas have always relied on local law enforcement to arrest troublemakers, even when they were open.
WWII veterans storm D.C. memorial closed by government shutdown - News - Stripes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
As one of the lucky furloughed federal employees, I'm using the time to polish the Airstream. I was going to wait until Spring, but making lemonade out of lemons, I made good progress today. The way things are looking right now, I might have time to finish.

As far as boondocking on BLM and FS land, there should be no impact. But keep in mind, that at least in Wyoming just about the only BLM personnel that weren't furloughed were the law enforcement folks. So they'll still be out there.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Ah... Making lemonade too! My daughter (works for the U.S Fish & Wildlife Service) has some extra time on her hands starting today, she doesn't know it yet but I'm going to turn her into my new bucking buddy
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will be making some improvements to the Airstream on my time off as well. I have just about gotten all the outside and structural stuff done.

I need to work on the inside some more eventhough I am poor. I am going to paint the bathroom sink I think and I bet it will stink.

I also need to cover the valences in the living area. I must decide on a color though. The wife will be involved in that. All things must pass WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

No I have not had any beer yet.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Washington , District of Columbia
Count your blessings. You're not truly lucky until you're told that you are exempted and have to work without pay until the shutdown is over.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My sister and her husband were at Paris Landing, Land Between the Lakes TVA park. They were told this morning to depart by tomorrow (Wednesday). They were on a rally and everyone picked up and moved to a KOA in the area.

Local news did some stories tonight about a corp of engineers lake about 50 miles east of St. Louis in Illinois (Carlyle Lake). Those folks camped there were told to leave by tomorrow. They interview one gal whose husband had set up the trailer and then went back to work. He was planning on coming back over the weekend. She's got no vehicle and can't tow, so he's got to come back tomorrow.

I'm camping at a corp lake (Table Rock), near Branson Mo., in a couple of weeks but fortunately staying at a state park campground which is unaffected by the Federal shutdown. Corp of Engineer campgrounds on the same lake are a different matter though.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it looks like walmart will be busy!
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hopefully this will be resolved quickly once everyone is through thumping their chests. It gives things a different perspective when you hear from people who are directly affected - thanks go to everyone who has spoken up. Thanks for that, and for the work you do that makes our lives better.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' Flying Cloud
2013 19' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.
Given that many of us Airstreamers are on the $10 for a lifetime Federal Use Passes, I wonder how much income is being generated. I, for one, think it ought to be $10 per year, at least. If I can afford an Airstream, I can afford it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My season at Yellowstone ended yesterday. We had planned to play "tourist" on the way out today but everything was coned off. We stopped to do a walk-around by Kepler Cascades and a Ranger shooed us away. Yesterday I was in the same uniform...

Leaving the West Gate, it was really sad. At least a hundred vehicles lined up and a half dozen highly stressed out Rangers explaining over and over again why the gates are closed. Don't envy either group.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have reservations at a National Forest Campground in California next week. The campground is managed by a private management company called Parks Management Campgrounds. I just found out through their Facebook page that the campground will remain open (Yay!)since it is privately managed. Good news for me, but I feel for all the other Federal Employees that were furloughed. Hopefully a compromise will be struck soon.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Given that many of us Airstreamers are on the $10 for a lifetime Federal Use Passes, I wonder how much income is being generated. I, for one, think it ought to be $10 per year, at least. If I can afford an Airstream, I can afford it.
As a point of reference, that $10 stayed in the district where you purchased the pass. Probably put to better use than if it went into that black hole known as DC.

Closed Thread