Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Good Sam Roadside Assisstance-Good or not so good?

I wonder if you could help me decide whether to sign up with Good Sam's roadside Assisstance insurance. Does anyone have experience with receiving Assisstance ? I like what they offer because they would tow my tow vehicle as well as my RV. Seems like they offer a lot for $79.
Thanks,
Mark
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . yes, we had to use them when my TV quit, with trailer in tow. Took 3 calls and over an hour to get the twits on the 800 number to get somebody headed our way, then 2 more hours to actually get to us. ( did I mention it was 102 that day ?) The tow truck guy was a real pro & did a great job of getting us to help, and had the phone people been just a bit more professional, I would have said it was an OK experience. I filled out the survey they sent me after, but nobody responded in any way. . . hey, you asked ! , regards, Craig
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
6 plus years with GS roadside. I have never had to test it so have a neutral opinion.
OP, double check with your current auto insurance company. You may already have roadside assistance coverage or can get it at a reduced price. Also if you do decide to go with GS give a phone call to enroll. The price is negotiable. I have never paid paid more than half the advertised price.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . yes, we had to use them when my TV quit, with trailer in tow. Took 3 calls and over an hour to get the twits on the 800 number to get somebody headed our way, then 2 more hours to actually get to us. ( did I mention it was 102 that day ?) The tow truck guy was a real pro & did a great job of getting us to help, and had the phone people been just a bit more professional, I would have said it was an OK experience. I filled out the survey they sent me after, but nobody responded in any way. . . hey, you asked ! , regards, Craig

Wish the call center did a better job!
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I am increasingly disappointed with Camping World and their associated companies.

AAA plus RV is a good deal and an bigger network.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I am increasingly disappointed with Camping World and their associated companies.

What is it about Camping World/Good Sam that you find disappointing? Just curious!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
i used the GS service once and it was first rate. Needed wheel service and after placing the initial call, I had a call back in 10 minutes. Where to take the trailer and the name of the guy who was going to take care of me. He was waiting when I arrived.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I spent an hour and 15 minutes on the phone to the call centre in January. I
was totally unimpressed with the service and the stupidity of the operator. She told me that they could not send a tow truck without a "civic address". It is pretty hard to find a civic address when parked on the side of a 4 lane highway in the middle of a Canadian winter, at 8 pm in a blowing snow storm!!! I told her exactly where I was, the tow truck company to call, and the name of the owner, who is my neighbour. Would not listen or believe me. Her "supervisor" was just as stupid as the original operator. Finally called my own tow truck operator, while on the phone with Good Sam. Totally exasperating experience and will never renew with them. Will go with CAA or if in the US, AAA. They have inteligent operators, that can think.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post

Could you a bit more specific about what you find disappointing?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The alternative to GS may be with your insurance carrier. For example my Progressive policy on my Airstream includes towing of the Airstream or the tow vehicle itself. So if the tow vehicle is disabled and needs towing, the Airstream automatically qualifies for a tow itself. I'm also an AAA member but do not carry the RV Plus coverage. AAA takes care of all my vehicles and the TV when it's not being used in a towing mode. At one time when looking at AAA RV Plus I noticed that it didn't cover all states. I'm not sure if that is still true at this point in time.

I've only called for service on the road once and that was for a jump start on my TV when on a trip.

In many cases emergency assistance providers contract with multiple carriers. So someone who comes out on a GS call could be the same provider that an insurance carrier or AAA may send. The difference being the features and services provided by your specific emergency services provider.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I used GS for a couple of years. I only needed them once and the service was adequate. I've been with Coach-net for quite a few years. They are an RV specific roadside assistance insurance. I don't think I've ever used them but I've never heard a negative report on them. I'm not one to purchase insurance if I don't have to but I treat myself to roadside assistance.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have had this assistance plan for probably 15 years or more. I have always gotten excellent service when I needed it. However, I have never needed it for my RV but have used it many times for my other vehicles. The plan covers all of my vehicles. I have had flat tires fixed and used the towing 4 or 5 times. I have no complaints - it has been well worth the money.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
What is it about Camping World/Good Sam that you find disappointing? Just curious!

You asked the question, so here's my opinion. Camping World used to be a fantastic company when David Garvin and his family owned Camping World. Trailer Life, and Good Sam used to be a fantastic company when Art Rouse and his Family owned them.
Ever since Marcus Lomonus (or whatever his name is), they have gone downhill
in customer service and product quality. Most of their stores have workcampers as sales people, most of them are only looking to suppliment their income, and really couldn't care less about how they treat customers. More specifically, the Robertsdale, Alabama store is about the worst of the entire bunch.
As for Good Sam insurance, (they sell about any kind of insurance you think you want) they start out with low "teaser rates" for the first year, when the renewal time comes you can expect at least a 50% increase. Their road service used to be good, but now the call center they use, really doesn't have much of a clue how to deal with people in RVs.

Greed has taken over since Lemonus has bought the company......

In addition to the above, I'm not happy with them...

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I am somewhat shocked to read these negative comments. I signed us up for Good Sam Roadside service when they first offered their best service and we were doing more extensive traveling. The program promised to bring us all the way home if we needed it. Fortunately we never needed their service.

We have used AAA for years for our cars, trucks and kids in college etc and have found their service excellent, though limited to 100 miles towing. Sometimes they are a bit slow, but AAA is dependent on their independent service providers and we understand that. When family illness forced less extensive travel, AAA added RV towing about that time and the cost was less than GS so we dropped GS thinking we could go back to them if the future held longer trips for us. I guess that remains to be seen.

BTW, AAA Trip Tics and camp books are excellent trip planning tools.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Used it twice. Had a blowout on my AS. Arrived in 15 minutes, back on the road in less than an hour! First rate.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Camping World

Some of their people are decent: overall CW sucks, IMHO. I have roadside through my insurer. Haven't tested it yet for theTT. Slow for the TV but they came, they saw, they conquered.
Asherstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
USAA. That's what I've always carried. Their call center staff is knowledgeable and efficient. they have a service truck on site within an hour and call me back to make sure everything is OK.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Had a nail in AS tire and call them, was out in 45 minutes, did a great job.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #19
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Coach-net

Have used Coach-net for 15 years with very good results including tow of tv and 34' airstream. Recommend them highly
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1949 22' Liner
1959 18' Traveler
Seal Rock , Oregon
I used to carry both GS And AAA RV. After my first breakdown I had such a bad experience I quit GS and am very pleased with AAA RV.

I used to shop camping world but stopped even looking at their catalog because their prices are crazy high.
CW also tries to sell campground memberships which are not in our best interests.
Sealrocker is offline   Reply With Quote