Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Interesting. The three year deal seems worth it, especially if you take advantage of the one free night, you break even at $33. I don't know either magazine,but would consider them educational since we are new to TT's.
The insurance part peaked my interest since my State Farm policy does about squat. When we bought the policy, we knew it wasn't good based on feedback on this site. I believe Geico and one other were better bets. I was going to switch all (cars, homeowners) in the spring to make sure we're covered.
I will more than likely do it just for the mag and free night. Figure I'm ahead already...

nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
Interesting. The three year deal seems worth it, especially if you take advantage of the one free night, you break even at $33. I don't know either magazine,but would consider them educational since we are new to TT's.
The insurance part peaked my interest since my State Farm policy does about squat. When we bought the policy, we knew it wasn't good based on feedback on this site. I believe Geico and one other were better bets. I was going to switch all (cars, homeowners) in the spring to make sure we're covered.
I will more than likely do it just for the mag and free night. Figure I'm ahead already...
I let my membership expire this fall. I would rejoin however if they offered me three years for $33. Maybe they will if I hold out long enough.
Regards,
Ken

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
The only junk mail I get is for RV Insurance. Otherwise I think it's worth it just for the discounts.

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Good Sam

After several years of paying the dues, I opted for the life membership. I figured in 10 years I would have paid that much anyway.
As for the insurance; the Good Sam ins is acturally GMAC. I have that for my home, car, truck and AS. Interesting, one ins co did NOT know what an AS trailer was as it was not in their book. Savings, $300.00 LESS than Geico and $400.00 less than Progressive and $200 less than AARP. AARP is by the Hartford
I have used the Good Sam ins 3 times and have also saved the cost of membership.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
Sam,

Is there a lot of junk mail in your opinion?

Nick
They do send some "junk mail" I usually look at it if not interested just trash it . Junk mail don't really bother me..SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Nick,

Only you can decide if it is worth it depending on how much you travel and where. We have been Life Members (about $300) for a dozen years or more and back then 10% was really important as few other discounts were available. Now there are lots of others including Passport America which we use very often as we usually are travelling from one place to another and do not need the pool or fancy recreation rooms, etc. Seldom have we used the Good Sam discount, but every once in awhile it does come in handy. We are also long time members of Coast to Coast where camping is $10 per night but that is simply another camping system which can be great, again depending on your travelling lifestyle and needs. Another option is the 'Escapees' group which you might want to do some research on. The bottom line - the more you travel the greater the value of being a member of one or more of these groups.

I really enjoy their 'Highways' magazine but being a Canadian have no use or access to most of their other 'offers' such as insurance - when that junk mail comes in, it goes right out in the garbage - but it could prove to be very useful to you.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Between AAA and Good Sam and AARP we usually get a discount one way or another, although I suspect if you ask for a discount many places, you'll get it anyway.

Good Sam offers a road service plan and seemed like a better deal than most, though Allstate is supposed to be pretty good too. The first year is heavily discounted, so you could switch every year. I wouldn't buy a road service plan if I weren't towing a huge piece of metal. There is a lot of junk mail, but I just give it to my wife and ignore it—she's in charge of Good Sam. I'm in charge of fixing things.

Good Sam offers a discount on the Trailer Life Directory, but similar discounts can be gotten on Woodall's. AGI (Affinity Group Inc.) owns Camping World, Woodall's and Good Sam and I believe they own TL too. Both directories are very much the same, but we prefer Woodall's. Both are heavily discounted in various places. The Directory is different than TL magazine.

AGI is in financial trouble. Airstream has lent CW $20 M in the past year. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_Group_Inc. If AGI went bankrupt it would probably continue to operate and no one but the creditors would lose money.

Gene
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
AGI (Affinity Group Inc.) owns Camping World, Woodall's and Good Sam and I believe they own TL too. Both directories are very much the same, but we prefer Woodall's. Both are heavily discounted in various places. The Directory is different than TL magazine.

AGI is in financial trouble. Airstream has lent CW $20 M in the past year. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_Group_Inc. If AGI went bankrupt it would probably continue to operate and no one but the creditors would lose money.

Gene
That's probably how we got the offer. We bought something at Camping World online so the piece must have been mailed as a result. Speaking of which, our Camping World's lot is almost empty. It doesn't look good.

Nick
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McKelvay View Post
Nick,

Only you can decide if it is worth it depending on how much you travel and where.
Don,

That's the issue; we're new so really don't know how much or where our use will be. But for $33 for three years and a free night, how can you go wrong?

Nick
Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Don't remember how long we signed up for but We DO NOT get a bunch of junk mail. We have not as of yet used any of the discounts. We were tied down most of the summer, maybe it will be different this next year.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"That's the issue; we're new so really don't know how much or where our use will be. But for $33 for three years and a free night, how can you go wrong?"

Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong---with one free night, if you stay in at least 10 of their parks each year and get the 10% discount each time you will have at least recouped the cost of the membership. There are drawbacks and other options.

GSC approved campgrounds are one of the go-to's for us out of the Trailer Life Directory we always carry---when we want and/or need a full service campground that is going to be predictably decent. They are not the cheapest, by far, so your 10% discount isn't going to bring you down to a terrific bargain.

For the long haul, this is not the most cost-effective way of traveling. It just depends on what you want. You need to get out there and find out what works best for you.

Travel safe.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
In our experience, the campground discount pays for the membership. We also switched from AAA Plus RV to Good Sam Emergency Road Service, and haven't regretted it one bit. So far, Good Sam ERS has been notably better (have used both twice). AAA had nice maps, but with GPS, we don't really need them. Our deal breaker with AAA was that they couldn't give a consistent, definitive answer on whether they would tow both the TV and the trailer in the event of a TV breakdown. It seemed to vary from state to state. Good Sam simply said yes, they would tow both to a safe location.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
AAA is a marketing company that gives away maps, tour books and campground books. The maps and books are useful and having the cheapest "membership" more than pays for them. They don't tow much or very far, so that's a bonus if we need it for a trucks or SUV—haven't used that in almost 20 years—and that was to get a car out of snow. They have lots of places they won't tow if you read the fine print.

When we were checking on road service, it seemed their service was minimal and might not include the trailer. I wouldn't get road service if it didn't include the trailer because I don't want that sitting by the side of the road all alone.

Gene
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
AAA is pretty expensive. We just renewed and it was about $90 and it didn't cover the TT. For that, you need extended coverage (I believe it doubles the price). Does anyone know what the coverage is for GSC?