Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Good Sam & Coach Net - Travel/Med Assist & RV Return??

I have spent two days searching the forum and really haven't found much on actual experiences or thorough research regarding use of either of these services for medical assistance and, also, very important to me, assistance returning the trailer and TV to the member's home. My wife and I are retired and are quite new to Airstream/RV ownership in general. We plan to travel together some, and I plan to take some moderate distance trips to do some hiking and photography by myself, as my wife has some health issues. Since we have no family who could assist/rescue in case of medical or other difficultly, and my wife's health is erratic, it is very important to have some type of coverage.

It appears that Coach Net partners with Assist America for the medical referral/transport and the return of RV/TV to home. Good Sam Travel Assist website doesn't say specifically, and my call to them only indicated they use different contractors out of the US. I notice Coach Net says it has to be outside a 100 mile radius, but Good Sam says outside of your normal routine. We have the new owner Coach Net basic roadside but could upgrade to the Premier which has the Assist America. Otherwise, we could buy just the Good Sam Travel Assist as it comes separate from roadside assistance for tires, towing, etc. Does anyone know the logistics in having an RV trailer and vehicle returned home - personal or acquaintance experience?

Any experiences, thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be most appreciated. We need to have peace of mind that a plan will truly cover our needs, and we aren't worried that one might cost more than the other, as they both seem reasonable. We just are looking for quality service.

Thanks!

CanonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
We're in the same process this week. SkyMed tops our research but rounding out our information by looking at other companies. Anecdotally we have heard Airstreamers overwhelmingly support SkyMed which is what is pointing us in that direction. I would like to hear what other have to say as well.

LizGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go with SkyMed, they will sell you a policy that takes out the 100 mile limit. Unless you go to some very unusual providers, none of these guys run their own air fleet or staff the return process themselves. They all contract with various regional outfits. Those contracts may well change on a yearly basis.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Interesting subject and of note recently due to the folks who are returning home with a broken ankle. As we get older, the possibility of this type accident grows. And active folks of any age can break bones or bash a head.

We have always assumed that since we store the coach normally, doing that after an injury would be the default. Most commercial parks have long term storage on site. We have always thought it might be a good way to get a jump on a future trip and keep looking into the approach as an option. However, the thought of leaving Glimmer just anywhere is disturbing.

We had a single person fall at a WBCCI Rally. The other folks were kind enough to change their plans and help out. The park allowed a longer stay and all worked out well. The results could have been much different and it was a reminder to us that we need a backup plan.

It is possible to drive left footed, but reactions in an emergency must be uninhibited to achieve a good result. Hence driving handicapped is likely a very poor approach. Might be a way to get to a safer place. Might result in making all much worse.

A schedule can add to the stress of travel and encourage folks to make bad decisions. A lack of money or simply the impulse to take actions that save money can also result in a poor outcome. Having a paid for plan to recover sounds like a good solution to eliminate that risk and is worth considering. The low cost alternative would be to have a plan that can be generically implemented. Maybe - move to storage - arrange shipment home or to acceptable long term covered storage - deal with aftermath when healed. Once read about a fella who had his car towed to a dealer for an oil change and picked it up later.

Got to be lots of ideas and plans. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi Im the guy with the broken ankle. We were camping at a small state park in North Carolina, we were able to change our plans and extend our stay for a couple of days. The volunteer camp host was fantastic he would come over and check on us a couple of times each day and the staff at Stone Mountain Park in roaring Gap NC was also fantastic. The camp host and the staff person hooked up the truck and moved us to a handicapped space that was close to the restroom. They also came over in the morning to help us unhook.
I called our insurance company to check our roadside assistance and they would only tow the trailer to a repair facility and not back to Phoenix. We got a quote from a transport company and it would cost $3500 to tow the trailer home. We made the 2000 trip home in 7 days and my wife did a great job of driving.
It would be nice to have coverage to get the truck and trailer home. My accident was a simple slip on a rock while hiking. I broke my ankle and had a boot from the ER then a cast two days later.I had no paint it was a hassle getting in and out of the truck.
This forum is great and I look forward to learning more about possible coverage

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One significant point made above - you *can* contract with the same transport outfits that the insurance brokers use. You may or may not want to deal with that stuff. Evacuation insurance is not the only option. Your standard health care policy likely covers you anywhere in the US. If you will be in Canada or Mexico it is worth checking how straight medical coverage would work there.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One significant point made above - you *can* contract with the same transport outfits that the insurance brokers use. You may or may not want to deal with that stuff. Evacuation insurance is not the only option. Your standard health care policy likely covers you anywhere in the US. If you will be in Canada or Mexico it is worth checking how straight medical coverage would work there.

Bob

I would caution anyone to verify how your health care would cover you in the event of your needing treatment while away from your standard coverage area. We're recently retired, too young for Medicare, and are new to medical insurance not employer provided and were amazed at the lack of coverage/coverage restrictions with policies when away from home. We travel domestically and internationally and found nothing standard about the coverage while away. I would also verify coverage from more than a single source from your insurance provider. It is amazing how explanations will vary.

I appreciate and look forward to this post and the responses. We just finished a 2 month tour and the concerns being voiced here were very much on our minds. Thanks to everyone.
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
Richard,
I agree with your comments regarding medical insurance coverage while traveling and that is a big concern for us. While I am still working, we look forward retirement soon and while I hope to have retiree medical from my employer, it may be that we will have to buy coverage on the market. Most affordable policies these days are HMOs and that isn't going to help much in the event of a serious injury or illness while far away from our home.

We intend to spend lots of time at our place in Alaska and that could really be a problem if our HMO is in Texas. I looked into SkyMed for that reason. Returning our TT to our home base is fine but I am more interested in the medical evacuation coverage - anything from commercial transport to a medevac jet if necessary. They also provide coverage from select international locations if I remember correctly.

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but would be interested to hear of others experiences or thoughts.
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
It's SKYMED, you need to talk to a Rep.

Call them and they will find you someone to talk too in your area.

They are the real deal, about $45 a month, best insurance for RV people.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . when me & and my implanted defib/pacer went to AK & back, I got Skymed. I thought the price was reasonable ( about $600 a year) & it gave me some piece of mind if anything happened in the middle of nowhere Canada or Alaska, I was a chopper flight away from a level 1 trauma center. She was also VERY happy I got it. I was on the road for 84 days & never had to call them BUT. . . Wouldn't do with out it. . . Be careful out there. . . Craig
Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I think SkyMed is the best known and trusted. We witnessed the situation of a couple on our caravan to Newfoundland being flown to Virginia when he experienced medical issues.

Their trailer and TV were also delivered. SkyMed flew a nurse to Nfld to verify medical conditions etc and accompanied them on the flight- a private medical jet.

No copay and no deductible.

They also do any family or friend traveling with you, including pets.

I have known of a few such services and they were all satisfied with the service.

You should definitely talk to a representative of SkyMed.

We have had it for three years so far.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Interesting subject.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Am I correct in understanding that SkyMed is nationwide including Alaska, Hawaii? How bout Canada, Mexico or international?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.Ē Ė St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
SkyMed will return folks from any country with which the US has diplomatic relations!

In my post above, I spoke of a return from Newfoundland. That is also a Canadian Province. And I have heard them discuss doing so with a lady visiting Switzerland.

Check them out.

16595 is offline   Reply With Quote