Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Good Places To Airstream In The Owens Valley, CA

We're headed over to the Owens Valley in California this Wednesday in our 25 ft 2004 Safari and although I've been researching places to stay I thought I'd ask here and see if Forum members had any useful information or opinions that would help us out regarding places to stay (as they usually do!). We're considering the camping range from dry to full hookups. Hot springs are of special interest.
Thanks in advance!
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Browns Campground in Bishop has hook ups and is shaded. It's just south of town with friendly staff. Pleasant Valley Resevoir is north of town and offers Owens River access and generally clean vault toilets. There's also a myriad of USFS campgrounds that range from high desert chaparral to high altitude with Aspens.
Breezinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Thank you! We'll check those places out and then come back here and report on what we found out.
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Subscribing to this thread as I'm also interested to hear of suggestions. Have been going to Mammoth for years, but have not taken the Airstream into the Owens Valley. Also, have seen ads for Boulder Creek RV Resort in Lone Pine - curious if anyone has any opinions on that.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
McGee Creek road is off 395, south of Mammoth and north of Tom's place. The McGee Creek campground is a beautiful location, albeit with no hookups. After hauling the AS up a rather steep grade to the campground and setting up your camp, you can drive up an even steeper grade to the McGee Creek trailhead, and hike up the trail as far as you like. This campground is particularly popular in the Spring for the Spring flowers. We just happened to be there at the absolute max of the spring bloom this year, but some people plan their vacations around it, and are disappointed if they miss the max bloom by a week one way or the other. Normal people really don't care, the blooms are great (if not spectacular) for quite a few weeks before and after the max.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We stayed at Boulder Creek RV Resort in Lone Pine last July. Mainly for the 30 amp for the AC. The views of the dry lake from the ends of the rows are pretty nice.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Places to Stay

I live in the Owens Valley near Bishop (Swall Meadows). If you like hot springs, you might want to stay in the RV Park in Mammoth Lakes (on the left as you come into town). It would be near some hot springs in the Mammoth area. The visitor center could give you directions. Also Highland RV park in Bishop has full hook ups. There are many US Forest Service campgrounds but unfortunately the are closing down now for the winter.

Bill Dunlap
Swall Meadows
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
June lake

June lake campground. Oh Ridge is national Forest so very cheap if you have a National Pass. No need for reservation. Next door is a private campground with hook ups. Showers and flush toilets

You are close to Yosemite, Mammoth and many other interesting side trips
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
Convict Lake has a nice campground too.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Ridgecrest , California
Owens Valley Camping

If you like hot springs, there is a quaint, old small CG a few miles south of Bishop
called Keough Hot Springs which has a large mineral spring pool with a snack bar, small store and a few campsites with water and electric, camping on grass and large old trees.
CAMP AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Subscribing. If we could make it over the summit, how is this area for winter camping?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
The Owens Valley itself and Hwy 395 are generally open year-round, unless closed by a snow storm for a day or so here and there. It does freeze at night, but temperatures can be pleasant and sunny during the day. Some of the passes over the Sierras are closed during the winter. If it gets too cold, you could always drive to Death Valley, although you'll probably have a lot of company down there during the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
I will second McGee Creek campground. Been awhile since I have been there tent camping - but very nice if you don't mind going off the beaten path.
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Make sure you do the speed limit. Bishop and Lone pine are speed traps, or were 30 yrs ago. I got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt on the first day it became law. They don't fool around. The police have dollar signs for eyes. It's a beautiful drive along 395.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
Bishop and Owens Valley

Highland RV Park in Bishop is a quality park. Nice shaded sites and clean facilities.

A unique place to visit (without the trailer) is the Bristlecone Pine Forest outside of Big Pine. I'm not sure of their winter hours. A good climb into the White Mountains east of Bishop. Beautiful views on a clear day.

Clyde
ezairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Clemente , California
I will second the recommendation for the Oh Ridge campground at June Lake. That is our favorite in the region and you can't beat the views. Convict is nice but the sites are narrow. The restaurant at the lake is fantastic. As for full hookups you can't beat boulder creek just south of Lone Pine. Be sure to stop for breakfast or lunch at the Ranch House cafe in Olancha.
Ktholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Boulder Creek in Lone Pine is one of our favorites for full hook ups. We were in the valley for a week last year. USFS campgrounds in the Alabama Hills are real scenic, but may be closing shortly. A don't miss is the Movie Museum in Lone Pine. June Lake is also nice and a bit further to the north.

Good luck!!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Saw lots of CHP pulling cars over for (presumably) speeding
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
A lot of of good suggestions hear so far. There is also free camping at Obsidian Dome, and a USGS camp area on the West side of US395 north of Tom's Place. Most good camping is on the West side of 395.
If you like good beer and excellent food, stop in Bishop at the Mountain Rambler Brewery. Yum!
After you find a place to park or camp, there are a lot of free hot springs on the East side of US395, North of bishop, e.g. turn off at the "Green Church" and take some of the dirt roads to find them. A high clearance vehicle is best and 4x4 in wet wintry conditions. There are websites and books to guide you.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
Saw lots of CHP pulling cars over for (presumably) speeding

Some years ago, when I was into motorcycle touring, I had a new BMW I wanted to try out. Not knowing any better, I thought Hwy 395 would be a good open road to put it through its paces. I got 2 speeding tickets within 30 minutes! After the first one, and the CHP pulling off in the opposite direction I wanted to go, I figured I was in the clear for a while. Didn't reckon on his buddy being parked behind a manzanita tree a few miles in the direction I was heading....

Can't imagine why anyone would care about the CHP when towing an AS. I've always been well under the speed limit, not necessarily by choice, but because of the limits of the AS and my old age reaction time.