Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sanford , Florida
Good camping in Helen GA / Asheville NC area?

Hello!

We just bought a new Airstream, a 30' bunkhouse, after years of sharing my parent's 28' classic, and we're loving it.

We're planning a weeklong trip early October, coming up from FL, and planning to stay at the Top of GA park for a few days, and then go over to Asheville area and camp over there some too. We've stayed at the Top a few times before and are familiar with the Helen area. We've not stuck on Asheville, but we'll have about 10 days of camping total. We love to hike, but have two 4 year olds, and a 7mo old. Mostly we just want pretty scenery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
David

dwe8922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Agree, TOG is a great place to stay while in Helen. They are open and running after the repairs from a tornado. Please don’t let that stop you from going. It’s a great place. There are 2 KOA campgrounds near Asheville. The one on the east side isn’t bad at all.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I like Lake Powhatan national forest campground right outside Asheville. Also, consider staying at Vogel State Park in Georgia. My kids loved swimming in the small cold lake there and finding rocks.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Good camping in Helen GA / Asheville NC area?

If you feel like some dry camping all the campgrounds on the BRP are excellent. Our fav. Is Linville Falls, but Mount Pigsah is terrific at 5000 feet. If you want hookups Henderson River CG near Brevard is excellent. They stock the stream with Rainbow trout. You wonít go wrong with Lake Powhatan either plus it is at the foot of the mountain and has full hookups. Close to NC Arboretum.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Just my opinion, but you could have some problems taking a 30' trailer into Mt. Pisgah Campground. Most of the sites are small and not level. I have had trouble getting my 25' in there.

We have stayed at Bear Creek Campground in Asheville. It has full hookups, but the scenery is not so good unless you back to the rail fence and the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's fairly convenient to Asheville and all the things to be done there.

We have reservations near Boone at Flintlock Campground for June 24th.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Personally love the KOA by Travelers Rest. Clean and by a nice stream.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ft Myers , Florida
I agree that Vogel State Park is a great choice near Helen, GA. Be aware that they do get bears there - particularly near the sites at the top of the hill.

Near Ashville I would recommend Mama Gertie's (http://www.mamagerties.com/). They have some nice (albeit close) pull throughs at the tip of the hill. The bathhouse is one of the nicest we're ever had. A little pricey but close to everything.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
If you're into hiking, DON'T stay at Mama Gerties. It's windy road and on top of a mountain. They have to have a small pet area just to walk your dog. I suggest staying at Davidson River Campground, just inside Pisgah National Forest, a couple of minutes from Brevard. It's also about 17 miles to Asheville. There are tons of hiking trails (since that was your interests in your original post) ...... a nice trail meanders along the Davidson river. Enjoy!!
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We stayed a week in Asheville last season. We tried to get into Mama Gertie's but could not so we opted to stay at Lake Powhatan. Best thing we ever did! It is very easy to get to, close to all the attractions, clean, nice spacious camp sites, nice clean restroom/shower facilities and a very nice staff. It is adjacent to the State Arboretum which is beautiful. There are bike trails from the camp ground to the Arboretum which makes for a fun day outing. There are limited electric and full hook-up sites so you have to make a reservation. They do keep some full hook-up sites as first come first serve and will put you on a waiting list if you are willing to move during your stay. When we first arrived we were put in a beautiful non-electric site and offered a full hook-up site two days into our 6 day stay. we loved our site so much we elected to just stay put. It turned out with the solar we were able to top off the batteries daily and had no issues with water or holding tanks (showers and restrooms were very close by). I would give Lake Powhatan consideration as an option.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Hereís a two-for-one response. As a great place to stay in Asheville, consider campfire lodgings. We loved it. And as a great resource for campgrounds, from dispersed to full facilities, download the campendium app and consider posting your own reviews to help that community. Good luck. .

https://www.campendium.com/campfire-lodgings
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Just my opinion, but you could have some problems taking a 30' trailer into Mt. Pisgah Campground. Most of the sites are small and not level. I have had trouble getting my 25' in there.

We have stayed at Bear Creek Campground in Asheville. It has full hookups, but the scenery is not so good unless you back to the rail fence and the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's fairly convenient to Asheville and all the things to be done there.

We have reservations near Boone at Flintlock Campground for June 24th.
FYI, no campfires at Bear Creek and it is sandwiched between two major highways, noisy.
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
St. Augustine , Florida
We just stayed a couple of nights at Tallulah Gorge State Park - near Helen - on our way to Asheville. Highly recommend - very nice VC, great scenery, hiking, and swimming. We had a bad experience with Campfire Lodgings - told us we had to leave and come back when site was ready within an hour - switched to Bear Creek - good location for seeing Asheville, but as others have said - tight sites. We also liked Lake Powhatan. Some sites have a steep incline at the drive - so might not be the best for backing into - but beautiful area.

2016 26U Flying Cloud
2016 Tundra 4x4
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
Happy Camper

1973 31' Sovereign
2017 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
If you donít mind being 20 minutes south of Asheville, definitely check out Lakewood RV Resort in Flat Rock (near Hendersonville). It is right off I-26 but very quiet. Very reasonable rates, friendly and well maintained.
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
we have stayed at Campfire Lodgings for many years. It is one of our favorite campgrounds. Privately owned and very well maintained. The premium sites have spectacular views of the Pisgah Mountains and the French Broad River. They do not allow you to check in early because the road up the mountain is narrow in places that will not allow two rigs to pass and could be dangerous. They are usually booked so make reservations.

CMTampa is offline   Reply With Quote