Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Tar Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
They already started finding tar balls on the beach in Key West.It is all over the news in south Florida.A friend E-mailed me from there.They dont know if it is from the Gulf spill so they say they sent it to a lab to make sure.That is what they are telling reporters anyways.
The tar balls they found in Key West did not come from the spill,probably some tanker pumping out his bilge out at sea. Dave

Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I just hope the oil doesn't get anywhere near the keys. That will be a disaster. It going to get bad enough already for the Marine life and people as it is. I pray for all who are affected by this.

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Well got a Spot CONFIRMED at El MAR Resort for a whole week.<oil pending> ONLY 10 sites on the whole place. I looked at it from google earth. Looks ok. It won't be crowded and it's 40.00 cheaper a night compared to Boyds. Just no pool or laundry room. But they guy who runs the place said he knows of a lady who does laundry at .50 cents a pound. I had a friend drive through there last week and he said it looks ok, and he said as soon as he drove in to look, someone stopped him and asked him what he was doing there. So thats a PLUS!!

http://www.elmarrvresort.com/

Just wish someone has already been there.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Key West is a very beautiful, kind of funky city----lots of old Florida homes, tourist traps and good food. It is going to be hot and humid, so be prepared.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #19
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
We were there in Feb. after the Fla. State Rally. Out of the several days there was only one without a jacket. It was unbeleivably cold this year. We stayed on Big Pine Key and drove back and forth to Key West. Really enjoyed it. Wife and I acted like kids.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Do some trip planning as to distances daily. Know the stops for food, fuel, rest. The rule of thumb is a break every 2-hours and get off the road for an hour every four hours. Don't drive into the dark, leave room (time) for accidents, construction and the rest. This isn't a solo car journey, it is different . . . .

As a truck driver I didn't think too much of these "rules" at first. Then I learned that it is about pacing one's self. I came to appreciate that my day was broken into segments of hours/miles, and that I only had to go so much farther until stopping. That one has the luxury of traveling for pleasure increases, deepens, the sights, sounds, smells of a different place.

Check GAISMA for local dawn/dusk times. Avoid twilight, etc. Enjoy the final light of the day at your stop. Prepare for tomorrow. Be thorough on checking the rig. Use Roadfood.com - The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America and Chowhound Boards - Chowhound for places to eat cheaply and well. One can "eat out" once daily and do well as to "adventure". Use satellite photos to check for rig parking.

Hattiesburg, MS looks like a good spot for a first night at around 500-miles (more than enough at a prudent pace). Had a neighbor from there, and read an article a while back about a good restaurant in town. Good to get off Interstate at Jackson and run this road. 2-nights/3-days.

Use the NHTSA website and NOAA website for traffic/construction delays, and for projected weather per zip code. Takes me about 6-hours to plan the trip you are going on (there, and back again). Make notes and have alternatives.

The road has enough challenges for someone towing, so, with a structure erected (planned), one has only to fill the intervening spaces/distances with conversation and the silences of new vistas.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Nice suggestions and wise advice, Thnak-you. But in all reality, I'll probably drive 14-16 hours the first day and do the rest on the second. Thats just the way I travel. I have driven to Miami before and back. This is my 10th trip to key west in 4 years. I usually fly in to Key West... First time towing ,though. No set plan on driving, just gonna drive till I'm tired then pull over and sleep somewhere.
On the subject of sleeping, I don't want to bring the generator but I'm going to have to because I will most likely pull over and sleep in a parking lot <with approval, of course> and without the generator, it will be hard to get a good nights rest. The problem I have is my bed cover <retrax> doesnt cover the generator. I will have it cable locked in the bed but I just hate for my bed to be open while traveling and having to lug that generator over 3,000 miles for two nights..

Oh well, its the journey not the destination, right?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432