Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #21
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Don't really concur with Satellite radio. Found it highly repetitive because there were only a few channels that we liked, but this is perhaps just us. Audiobooks are another great alternative. Lots of digital stuff that fits on a phone nowadays.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
HW50, the loneliest road in America.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

I second this post. We hit it for the first time this past summer. We loved the road, lots of history "Pony Express" route and Navy Firing Range close enough to see from the road, which we were lucky enough to experience. It is lonely to be sure, if you still have the 26 gallon factory fuel tank you will be somewhat pressed for Diesel en-route so make sure you stop and top her off. We installed the 50 gallon aftermarket OEM replacement tank on our F350 prior to our trip - well worth the trouble and expense.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Ah the loneliest road, was driving along that way last summer.
When I spied something big on the roadside waaaay up front.
It grew bigger as I approached and turned into a van pulled just off the pavement.
Naturally I slowed as I drew closer, then stopped on the road when I came abreast to check if they needed any help.

Nope, they were just stopped for a snack brake in their small group cross country bicycle ride, one woman rider was riding to get over her just completed third tour in the M E.
Seeing them way out there on bikes made my previously pedestrian 63 mph seem almost hasty, but I stayed with it anyway.

It's lonely out there.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Ah the loneliest road, was driving along that way last summer.
When I spied something big on the roadside waaaay up front.
It grew bigger as I approached and turned into a van pulled just off the pavement.
Naturally I slowed as I drew closer, then stopped on the road when I came abreast to check if they needed any help.

Nope, they were just stopped for a snack brake in their small group cross country bicycle ride, one woman rider was riding to get over her just completed third tour in the M E.
Seeing them way out there on bikes made my previously pedestrian 63 mph seem almost hasty, but I stayed with it anyway.

It's lonely out there.

Cheers Richard

I think we came across the very same lady cyclist and her support van at the campground in Ely, Nevada.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Elko Nv is the gateway to the Ruby mountains national park. Its about 40 minutes out to Lamoille Canyon. There a decent campground there and it's MUCH nicer to be there than Elko. Its worth a night or two.

If you go the 50 route definitely stop at Great Basin. I drive this every other week on business. I always fill my tank in Ely. If i were towing i would top off in Austin. There are a couple campgrounds along the way. Petroglyphs is an interesting stop. I stop there often to stretch. It's a dry BLM campground. Free. Good for a short overnight stop. A Little further is a national forest campground outside Austin, Bob something. Its ok. Towing a 25 should be no problem.

Tahoe: reservations required. Do not miss the window. The lake books up fast. Fallen Leaf Lake- South shore,
Sugar Pine Point west shore. William Kent works but only for sites lower down. Just barely fit in an upper site with my 23. Prosser campground out by Truckee is a good bet if you can't get into a lake CG. Its national forest so no hookups. Spacious flat sites. Easy drive up to the lake. We had a rally there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Another option for camping in Napa Valley is Bothe Mill State Park. No hookups but very scenic and right off Hwy 29 just south of Calistoga on the north end of the valley. Check it out on the CA State Parks website and reserve a site up to 7 months in advance. Napa can get hot in the summer bring a generator for AC if possible.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote