Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Going Up the Country

This is a bit overdue but I have had some difficulties with internet. I did make it to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. I left Michigan last Monday at 9:00 p.m. drove 4 1/2 hours and 223 miles hours to Sawyer Michigan and stopped for some shut eye at 2:00 a.m. at Travel America. I am so not a morning person that I need to leave whenever I am ready or I will only have to begin the next day delay all over again. The first leg is always the hardest, one to get out and secondly all the road construction and traffic from Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.

Tuesday got me through the Chicago Skyline, traffic finally opened up towards the Wisconsin Dells area in the afternoon and I stopped at a rest stop St. Cloud Minnesota just past Fargo to catch up on sleep at 12:45 a.m. (eastern times...once in my life when I could be late and actually gain three hours through the drive, ) So that was 16 hours on the road and another 800 miles on the trip log.

Wednesday I had a great side trip early in the afternoon to Dawson North Dakota, an emergency gas stop off the highway first pump would do, and that just so happened to be one kind of gas octane, two old fashioned pumps with mechanical reels that were malfunctioning. I haven't seen those in eons. There was a diner and a veteran's park and I stayed a while and enjoyed the local offerings. I passed New Salem about 1:00 p.m. and had a nice break at an overlook at Theodore Roosevelt National Park around 2:45 p.m. Great scenery, pictures later. Passed Billings Montana about 9:30 p.m. and filled up with gas again in Livingston proper about 11:30 then turned the corner and spent the night in the Bozeman rest area. The totals that day were 726 miles and 15 driving hours.

Thursday morning I started off at 7:45 a.m. and went past Butte about 10:00 a.m., then Missoula and into Washington by 8:30 p.m. Very near Ellensburg was another scenic overlook over the Columbia River at Ginnkgo State Park, and I was rewarded with a great rainbow as I crossed the bridge. Waved to Spokane, headed down to Tacoma crossed another bridge about 11:30 p.m., then through Sequim all the way to Port Angeles at last, for the day's total of 812 miles and 16 driving hours. I didn't want to arrive at my destination in the wee hours and I needed some supplies so I spent the night at Wal-Mart, not a 24 hour super one either, just a small one.

Friday had me where I set out to be...Shadow Mountain RV Park, 23 miles away down 101 West. So if I had not have lolligagged about I am sure I could have made it in three days tight, 2,571.5 miles...262 gallons of gas...47 1/2 driving hours.

The reason for my trip was to try my first work camper experience and work through September in the campground store. However it didn't prove to be as good a match as I had expected it to be. So now I am back on the other side of the counter.

Come drive with me, there is a .pdf slideshow here but first you must download the mp3 and be playing it first or you will not appreciate the journey to it's full. Excuse the interactive participation, my presentation (website and slideshow) really needs to be polished up, eh? Best to rightclick and save target rather than streaming, file sizes are 9.2 MB for the slideshow .pdf and 5.3 MB for the music.

Index of /imagematters

I will post some area pictures soon.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I have missed you Carol! Come back to MI, or we will see you at International!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Port Angeles

Port Angeles has a city pier with an observation tower, views of the Olympic mountains, the city of Victoria Canada across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the ferry ships that transport across the 18 mile span. There are many restaurants and shops, a marine museum and a bicycle trail that goes all the way to Sequim. There are also many sculptures in town and wonderful wall size murals depicting the history of Port Angeles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8401.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	62405

Name:	IMG_8428.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	62406Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8429.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	62407

Name:	IMG_8437.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	62408

More pictures of Port Angeles here

port_angeles_wa Photo Gallery by Carol Baidinger at pbase.com

photography
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Wow Carol - Talk about Running The Line 47+ hours in 4 days - I am impressed...... bennies comes to mind Were they from the 60's or was that an 80's fad????

So glad you are having a great time......you should roll the windows down and call out......whoooohooooo look at me no hands

The song with your slide show - perfect for the road trip. Great scenery and the ever anticipation of the mountain peaks coming around each corner - I love it...

Too bad that it was not your cup of tea - but hey what a great side trip - amazing - I bet one person is pleased though

Can't wait to see more photos.....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Coffee and sugar with good sleep works fine. And I have 2 hands missy. I almost used your new song, I need to apply to the composer for usage. I love driving and watching the moving panaramas and the changing terrain and weather. I could live on the road literally, now about this gas situation...

Anyone have any slideshow with audio to web software to recommend? I must have tried half a dozen new programs trying to get the pictures and music and uploaded. I am no good at inserting the html, I need to drag and drop.

Laura I am kicking it around to stop back in Bozeman. I'll look you up for sure if I do.

photography
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Carol,

Thanks so much for taking us along on the trip with you...even though I'm stuck here selling these silver bullets, I always enjoy the ride!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Carol, as to the last picture in "Port Angeles", above. If Airstream was to build a boat, I think it would look like that.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
As usual Carol, great photography. I enjoyed reading about your drive...I don't see how you do it! You 'da woman! I can handle maybe 10 hours solo towing, but that's about it before I am too fatigued to go much further once it gets dark. I just don't trust myself anymore. When I was in my 20's/30's I could handle more and did.

Hope to see more photos of your journeys this summer.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Carol, you asked for suggestions on photo/music software. Becki has a program she uses each year to make a photo CD for her students. She takes photos through out the year and then makes a photo montage set to music. She gives each student a copy of the montage on a CD as a keepsake from her classroom. One of the mothers was helping with the end of year party and cried when she saw it during the party.

The software she uses is "Photojam 4" and is a download available on the net (sorry, it's not free-ware). You load your photos and song or use their music and it times the photos to last for the duration of the music. You can make adjustments to some of the settings and make changes or let everything be automatic. You can send the montage as a self-extracting e-mail attachment or post it on the web.

Hope this helps.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the software tip. I will check that out for sure, and thanks all for your well wishes and comments. Nice to be "connected" especially away from home.

Today is moving day and I have not formulated a plan but I am sure it will come to me if not before, then at least at the intersection... probably not West unless LJH can get Airstream to make that amphibious add-on pack available soon.

I have seen Forks, Ruby Beach, Crescent Lake, Marymere Falls, the Hoh Rain Forest and Hurricane Ridge and a scenic drive to Clallam Bay. Still so much to see, perhaps next time.

The road is shared by extreme bicyclists even a couple of tandem riders and many logging trucks and lined with a beautiful proliferation of wild flowers in the most gorgeous setting of forest, sea and mountains. My Olympic adventure has been a treat.

photography
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hurricane Ridge

Hurricane Ridge is a 17 mile drive from Port Angeles Washington that ascends to 5,242 feet offering views of Mount Olympus, glaciers, wilderness and deer in the subalpine meadows. The sound of water from melting snow running down the mountain and the smell of pine is intoxicating, or was that the altitude?

More pictures of Hurrican Ridge here

hurricane_ridge Photo Gallery by Carol Baidinger at pbase.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8569.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	62535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8663.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	62536  

Name:	IMG_8682.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	62537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8696.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	62538  

photography
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
_

. , .
hi c

great pix and they bring back memories.

i used to ride a bike UP to the ridge monthly.

and coming back down on the same bicycle was wild.

IF you've been out to the hoh rain forest, which is spectacular...

basically that as far as us can go.

didn't used to be any rv parks or good boondocking locations coming from la push south on the coast.

so where to next?

crossing the north cascades and eastward to lake chelan in the upper part of washington,

is a great trip, and beats i90 for everything but speed.

also it will be cooler crossing back up north. it's getting too warm along the routes east SOUTH of 90 now 4me...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Terrific drive tale, Carol! At the least, you got yourself an adventure and a lot of fine photo memories. Let us all know where you're headed next. Somehow, I think you'll be meetin' up with Laura at Bozeman ...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Have you tried Yosemite or San Fransisco? You could then head up to Reno or Lake Tahoe. Tahoe and Yosemite are beautiful...Half Dome is spectacular. Don't hike to the top if there is any threat of thunderstorms.

WBCCI# 4821