Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Wonderful pictures and experience! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #58
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Looks like Orie had a nice time with Tuni! Nice pictures Carol!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Cameron and Laura. Kate and I also caught a couple of runaway labs on one of our stops as they ran to the highway. We parked the Airstreams and coaxed them into a short "visit" (after a merry chase of some distance) while we called the tag number, the redirected number, the police and then the owners finally surfaced. We just couldn't go on our way wondering if they might get hit by traffic. Nice dogs too. Afterall dogs are the nicest people. I am rather anxious to get home and meet our new puppy Koa (brave, bold, fearless.) He's a 3 month old German Shepherd that Brad traveled from Michigan to Wisconsin to pick up while I have been gone. We lost our dear 6 year old Baron unexpectedly to cancer several weeks ago. I think Koa will make a fine addition to the family, whatever you might hear the cat say to the contrary... Pictures upon homecoming, I promise.

Just a couple of short posts and I am finally caught up to date.

Last night I stayed at Spearfish South Dakota at a relatively new RV Park called Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort. I highly recommend it, it's top notch and has an upscale store, swimming pool, tennis courts and beautiful surroundings. I loved their sculptures and there were many many more on the grounds. Check out is a civilized noonish and they are flexible.

It really stormed last night, the trailer shook and I thought we would be blown away but it stopped just as abruptly as it started to my relief.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	63951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	63952  

Name:	IMG_0644.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	63953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	63954  

Name:	IMG_0651.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	63955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	63956  

Name:	IMG_0655.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	63957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	63962  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Wall Drug South Dakota

Wall Drug has been featured as one of the largest tourist attractions in the North. They have over 500 miles of bill boards on Interstate 90, stretching from Minnesota to Billings, Montana. There must have been no less than 50 signs in the last 40 miles approaching it, from "almost there" to free water, 5 cent coffee, home made pies, free donuts and coffee to veterans or even honeymooners.

America's most famous roadside business for half a century, and it all began with free ice water.

Ted Hustead bought this tiny South Dakota town's pharmacy in 1931, the depths of the Depression. For five years Ted and his wife Dorothy struggled to survive until Dorothy's brainstorm.

Hundreds of people drove past Wall every day on U.S. 16, the main route across South Dakota, battling the dusty dirt road and 90-degree summer heat. Why not give them an excuse to stop? Once in the store, maybe they'd buy ice cream, or aspirin. In the summer of 1936, Ted Hustead erected the first set of roadside signs:

GET A SODA
GET ROOT BEER
TURN THE CORNER
JUST AS NEAR
TO HIGHWAY 16 AND 14
FREE ICE WATER
WALL DRUG

Before he could return to the store, the tourists were arriving. They're still coming: 20,000 per day in the summer, over a million a year.

The Husteads spent the next three decades erecting more signs. By the 1960s, Wall Drug touted its free ice water on 3,000 billboards in all 50 states. Ever since World War II, proud South Dakotans have covered foreign landscapes with signs proclaiming the mileage to Wall Drug and the Husteads themselves have advertised in Kenyan train stations, London buses, Amsterdam canals, and French bistros. Highway "beautification" has left only about 250 signs along America's roads, but Wall Drug will still send a small, free "mileage" sign to anyone who asks. (I'm a mere 1,684 miles from Wall Drug.)

But what's waiting at the end of all those billboards? Originally, not much; in 1952, South Dakota's WPA Guide described Wall Drug as "one of the most advertised attractions in the State and, for many, one of the biggest disappointments." No longer. Today's 50,000 square-foot Wall Drug can feed, clothe and entertain the entire family for hours: photo opportunities with the 6' fiberglass jackalope and Mt. Rushmore replica, an animated "Chuck Wagon Quartet" performing every 20 minutes, a gallery of Western art, a 520-seat cafe, and shops for everything from postcards to cowboy boots...not to mention a veterinary-supplies department and pharmacy for the locals. The ice water's still free, the coffee still costs a nickel. Drop in sometime!

The new animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex is animated every 12 minutes, yes I waited right along with the kids, booming with threatening sound, smoke, lights and stretching and snarling. Cool.

OK so it's a tourist trap, but adjacent to the Badlands the kiddies may just be ready for some diversion, or maybe even the grown-ups. I fed money into these machines and they talked and moved, played music and drew a crowd.

And if all else fails to amuse try one of these margaritas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0737.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	63966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	63967  

Name:	IMG_0744.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	63968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	63970  

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	63971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	63972  

Name:	IMG_0775.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	63973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	63976  

Name:	IMG_0779.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	63980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	63981  

photography
Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #61
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I wanted to stop there so bad on our way out, but dad was worried with the trailer about parking.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Fabulous Photos and trip diary Carol...

What is that saying...Only in America....what splendor and wonder you find down the line.....
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Carol,,, just great!!!! you are having too much fun,,,thanks for posting,,, donna ,,, ps,,, do you still have HAPPY FEET? safe travel home
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #64
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Carol I envy you! It will be at least a couple of years before we make it up to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. But, Wall Drug is on our list of "to-do's". Great photos. Hope the rest of your trip is as good as the trip home has been so far. Elkhorn Ridge looks like a great place to make camp for a few days. Wish we had more places like that in the southeast.

I'm really sorry to hear about Baron. It was a pleasure to have met him at the Can Opener Rally this past January. Sulley might have been a little afraid of him because of his size, but I'm sure they would have gotten used to each other and been good friends on their next meeting. I'm sure Koa won't take his place in your heart, but perhaps he will come to fill the void in your "pack". Good luck with acclimating him to your family and enjoy him in his puppy antics.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #65
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Carol, keep posting the pictures!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #66
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Holy smokes! You're not home yet? __
Carol prefers the "scenic" route!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #67
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Carol prefers the "scenic" route!
And likes to take that route slow!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Alright, alright already, you guys, I came home.

Total trip tally = 49 days and 6,725 miles, add the previous trips to Arkansas, Florida and Ohio and I have a grand total of 99 days on the road for 2008 thus far. So while not full fledged fulltimer material I have decided I definitely have "oftentimer" in my blood.

Have a few pictures of the "scenic route" of the Badlands to upload and then my last leg of the journey into the slightly rolling hills and farms of Iowa into the plains of Illinois and then construction into Indiana and Michigan. I really know I'm home when I feel the roads reach up and shake me about.

But first, as promised, our newest addition to the managerie, Koa. Let's see that makes, Orie, Kee Kee, Koa, Carol and Brad. Isn't Koa sweet, nicest friendliest temperment and already playing with Orie like they have been together always! How 'bout them ears?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	64154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	64155  

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	64156  

photography
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Oh, Koa is beautiful! Don't worry, I'm sure he'll grow into those ears of his!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Cameron thanks. If those paws are indication too, he will be a big one!!

Donna my feet are still happy in my stylish new shoesies.

Leo, we'll have to take another group through the local circuit in Madison next year.

Laura, how's it going getting ready for more rallies? As Miss Rivette 2008 you must make many appearances for the duration of your reign. Keep that sash and tierra handy!

Tom, Sully is such a good dog. Perhaps at the next dog meet and greet at the Can Opener, Sully will show the new kids on the block the ropes. Just have patience, and you will be as old as I am now, some day (!) and traveling as long as you like I'd advise you not to be in too big a hurry in that, young'un. I'd be loving seeing Disney World with my kids at Fort Wilderness, actually I'd be loving seeing Fort Wilderness at all. You do it up right.

Sharon, been following your 25th anniversary thread. Peter will be so surprised when you bring him the new CCD. Hope to see it myself soon. That is too cool!

photography